1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

*228 Programming - How Often should you do it ?

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by timp4411, Mar 9, 2009.

1. timp4411

timp4411 New Member

I recently had a problem with Vz about charging me for Vz Navigator when they shouldn't have been charging me.

They told me to be sure it had been "Unsubscribed" from my phone and then do a *228 to "Search for the nearest Tower".

When I called *228 I had 3 options:
    1.) Reprogram
    2.) Update Roaming capabilities.
    3> Can't remember what it was.

I chose to update roaming since it seemed like that's what they wanted me to do.

I also feel it dumped info two ways.... letting Vz know what GIN items I had on my phone.

What do you all think ?

Tim

› See More: *228 Programming - How Often should you do it ?

2. CellPhoneTech

CellPhoneTech New Member

I was told to dial *228 once a month and update roaming capabilities. I have done this for the past 3 years.
  3. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

*228:

Option 1: Program a newly received device (this also does everything number 2 would do, except it also programs your phone to your account).

Option 2: Updates your PRL (preferred roaming list). This means it finds newly added or removes towers and takes them out or puts them in your phones memory. This should be done monthly or at least every other month.

Option 3: New feature! Activate a previously used (but not currently active) Verizon Wireless phone without the need to call customer service or go online! Just do it from the phone you wish to activate to your account. This feature doesn't work everywhere.

VZNavigator has absolutely nothing to do with *228 (except for the fact it may improve where VZNavigator will work). It doesn't add or remove it from your Verizon Wireless account. Many Verizon Wireless account experts (customer service reps) are trained to have everyone dial *228 option 2 whenever they add/remove things to the account. This isn't true. The only time it may be required is when doing something big such as changing your calling plan. It has no effect on account items or downloads. It is generally used for tech support whenever you have calling issues.

1 person likes this.
  4. CellPhoneTech

CellPhoneTech New Member

Are you saying then that it is not necessary to dial *228 every month and update roaming capablities?
  5. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

It's necessary but not dire...

Tech support does this as troubleshooting also.

6. anna*

anna* New Member

Agreed. I noticed that my phone gets better reception now that I started updating the programming.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?