1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

How-to Activate a new Verizon phone online / switch ESN

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by jdeg, Sep 29, 2008.

1. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

You will need to register for "My Verizon" first, as this is where you will find the online ESN changer. Follow these instructions to do the ESN change yourself:
    1. Log into your "My Verizon" account - http://verizonwireless.com
    2. Under the "My Verizon" link at the top, under My Device, click "Activate or Switch Device"
    3. Select the phone you want to update if you have more than one phone on your account, click next
    4. If you have backup assistant it will ask you to run it before switching devices, click next
    5. Next you will need to enter the ESN/MEID number and hit submit. (the esn is usually found on the box near barcodes or under the battery on the phone)
    After you have done this, wait 5-10 minutes and dial *228 (option #1) to program your phone. Once you hear the "Your phone has been programed successfully" message, you can hit OK, or the end key. You can make a test call by hitting #832, to confirm that your phone is working properly.

If you have any problems with this, or receive any error messages, you can call Verizon's customer service dept. for help at 1-800-922-0204. They usually charge $20 to change the ESN for you. However, if you tried it yourself first, and let the Rep. know that you had a problem, they will usually waive the fee.

› See More: Activate a new Verizon phone online / switch ESN
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Bobdhu

Bobdhu New Member

Is it possible to use this procedure to activate a BB Pearl from Sprint to Verizon?
  3. holytotemic

holytotemic New Member

great information thanks much!
  4. Monster77

Monster77 New Member

Looks easy thanks
    :smart:
  5. birdfan

birdfan New Member

Thanks for the info. FYI: I was unable to activate my phone through the web without adding an access plan. I had to go to the local corporate store to get it done w/o the access plan.
  6. okmusic

okmusic New Member

Thanks for this!

I was activating a phone that still had service under a different account and kept getting an error message saying Verizon was unable to active my phone at this time. I assume the reason was because the phone was already assigned to my new number in the Verizon system when I set up the calling plan. I got the bright idea to skip to the programming step and dial *228. Voila, total success!

Soooo, if anyone runs into trouble activating online, you might want to consider going right to this step : ]
  7. whouarez

whouarez New Member

thanks for sharing
  8. jumja

jumja New Member

9. thebluedot

thebluedot New Member

Actually the method above will only work if you are going from a Blackberry to a Blackberry or a simple flip phone to a simple flip phone. The method will not wok however if you are switching from Sprint to Verizon or switching from a basic style phone to a smart phone such as an android phone or Blackberry. In those cases - you would have to call Verizon support or take your phone to a Verizon store.

Also - the $20 fee only applies if you are a first time Verizon customer. If you are just swapping out phones - no charge will apply.

----------
    The BlueDot pays top dollar for your used cell phones.
  10. Abraham Laker

Abraham Laker New Member

very good .. very ueseful !!!!! Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

Updated instructions to latest my verizon

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?