1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Alltel Plan / Verizon Mandatory Data Plan With Smart Phones??

Discussion in 'Alltel' started by clcintx, Oct 18, 2009.

1. clcintx

clcintx New Member

I used to have a smart phone and didn't pay for the data plan with Alltel. That phone broke and so I got another Alltel smart phone from a friend. Verizon rep tells me there is no way to activate it without the extra data plan charge now with the Verizon merger??

› See More: Alltel Plan / Verizon Mandatory Data Plan With Smart Phones??

2. nvguy

nvguy New Member

Several things are happening here, first it maybe the phone your friend gave you. It's possible this phone continually talks to the tower (data connection) so find out if you wanted to activate an exact duplicate of the phone you broke would still be charged for data?

If so you will be seeing that the cell phone carriers in able to make higher profits for their stock holders are making us poor slobs pay more for the same thing. This is due to everyone in the world already has a cell phone and their are no more growth numbers only stealing subscribers from the competition is left or charge your existing customers more

:flamemad:
  3. musDrctr

musDrctr New Member

Alltel was even before the change to Verizon indeed adding the data package (as now all carriers that I am aware of, AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon are) I know that many people are upset at having the data package. But the data package of $30 is so much easier to pay.... I am a poor boy working 2 jobs and yet because of being spoiled and forgetful, I have a Blackberry and enjoy the full benifits that it provides, email and internet, etc. (with the data package). Many people that did not have data packages were complaining for some reason about having a $250, $400, or even higher cell phone bill. Without a data package, every minute of use was being charged to them, then they would complain to CSR about "I don't need internet" and with the whining loud enough the carrier would credit the bill and go on.....NOW for the full 1 two punch.....IF you get a smartphone, USE IT as a SMARTPHONE, if you are only a texter or like the Qwerty keyboard, then get a normal phone with a Qwerty keyboard that does not require the data package. Yes our carriers (all of them) want our money..so don't be negative and if your not happy then DON'T get a Cell phone... I have lived long enough that I grew up with ONLY 1 corded phone in the house. I have seen plenty of changes to our electronic world. I know we are a nation of being negative on everything or needing to find someone to blame.... I hope that my information is taken as a suggestion and not a complaint, I know that sometimes we just need further information to help us understand why changes and additional charges sometimes get put into place on our bills.
  4. arnelle

arnelle New Member

i have a alltel cellphone,i want to know could I activate it with verizon wireless plan

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?