1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Alltel/Verizon phone compatibility

Discussion in 'Alltel' started by tonyjh63, Oct 10, 2005.

1. tonyjh63

tonyjh63 New Member

Hey folks, got a question. Are the phone models that operate on the Verizon network necessarily compatible with Alltel? I've got a friend in North Carolina who wants a new phone, but is still under contract to Alltell (so she can't get it cheap through Alltel). So, I thought I'd look for her a new phone on *Bay, but I want to make sure I get one that's compatible with the Alltel network. I've gone to the Alltel website to look for compatible phones, but wanted to see if there are other phones out there that aren't listed on Alltel's website. She wants a flip-style phone with a camera, and with some way of connecting to her computer, preferably Bluetooth, but just a data-cable would be ok too. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

› See More: Alltel/Verizon phone compatibility
  2. agentHibby

agentHibby New Member

If it is a phone model that both companies support taking a phone from Verizon, Alltel may activate. VZW usally won't activate ESN that is not in there database. Alltel might.
  3. nickecker82

nickecker82 New Member

verizon to alltel phone switch

yes you can take a verizon cell phone and have it activated on alltels network. i have done this with the lg vx4400 and other phones. to do so you have to go into the phones service programing menus. when there you will have to tell your verizon phone to conect to alltels towers, ie: home sid 1258 and so on, when this is done the phone will power down and reboot. when the phone comes back, it will say that it is roaming. this is when you will dial *611 to see if it says alltel to see if you have forced the phone to the right network, now all you have to do is update your prl by dialing *228. again the phone will power down and reboot, when it comes back up it will show that the phone is not roaming and is on alltels network, then you call alltel and switch the phone over, you most call and not walk in becuase alltel will not allow any other phones that use another carriers name ie: verizon. if they say the phone is not one that they carry you tell thim that you had it flashed to alltel, as soon as they input the esn into the network, the phone will work, but your programing in the phone will still say verizon when it starts, verizon apps and so on. If you want to convert it back or conver the alltel phone to verizon, or an other carrier you can do the same thing... (WILL NOT WORK WITH CRICKET, SPRINT, AND GSRM PHONES)
  4. rcmf5525

rcmf5525 New Member

I kind of got lost in the sauce... I would like to do that from cingular to verision. would you go with a couple more baby steps for me???
  5. Lighting Guy

Lighting Guy New Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but because Cingular phones are GSM technology and Verizon is CMDA, you can not use phones approved for Verizon on Cingular's network, and vice versa. Sorry
    1 person likes this.
  6. sastone75

sastone75 New Member

Alltel did use to activate verizon phones. NOT any longer...mainly because of roaming issues...and the fact that the took ability to flash the phone with alltel's software out of the retail stores. :)
  7. genehall

genehall New Member

Re: Alltel to Verizon phone switch (Activation)

Want to convert a Palm Treo which was purchased from Alltel and is currently not activitated to replace an older Verizon phone which is currently activated on Verizon. How to I figure out what the Verizon tower codes are? Could some one walk me thru the steps. I know Verizon sells the exact same phone.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  8. misterSelf

misterSelf New Member

Cannot be done. VZW and AT&T use incompatible technologies.
  9. laurenx0x

laurenx0x New Member

I have a question, if i wanted to take a verison phone such as the venus, and switch it to alltel phone i would do he same as above, but is it the same way if u already have a phone from alltel it is just a piece of crap. and someone gave you their extra phone? or how would that work?

I NEED HELP
  10. hello134

hello134 New Member

I NEED HELP.. ok

I have an alltel phone but want to switch to a Verizon enV3, could i possibly just get that phone and walk into an Alltel store and be like here, can you activate this or what??
  11. CellRep

CellRep New Member

I work as a sales agent for an Alltel in MN and we will not activate any phone from another company on any of our customers lines. They have had roaming issues when we have done it in the past. $700 phone bills are not fun for the customer.
  12. caseycraig92

caseycraig92 New Member

Okay so, I have a verizon plan and my phone just broke. The only other phone I can get is an alltel phone from a friend. Could I use the alltel phone on my verizon plan or not?
  13. rrrb

rrrb New Member

Maybe. Most Alltel phones should work for talk and text. I have a new Alltel phone with a ESN that is not blocked on Verizon. I can add the ESN to my account, but when I try to call the over the air programming number, *228 (or *22890), I get an error message that tells me that I cannot call that number. So I think I will have to have the phone software flashed to remove the Alltel lock code. If this does not work the phone would have to be manually programmed, and the correct Preferred Roaming List added to the phone.
  14. miah6969

miah6969 New Member

i got a verizon model lg VX9100 And i was wondering if i could use it on my alltel prepaid plan
  15. rrrb

rrrb New Member

I did not have to flash this phone. I was able to OTA program it using *22801 or *22802. You could also try 803, 4 or 5. I cannot use web, because the browser settings are locked to Alltel and must be unlocked with software or a reflash.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Did you ask an Alltel dealer or call their CS number? They can tell you whether they will change your ESN to the Verizon model. The transition from Alltel to Vzw continues, so the situation may have changed; I expect they are more lenient now. Roaming issues should be resolved by having the right PRL file installed during OTA programming, once your ESN is added to your account. You should specifically ask the Alltel folks whether your coverage should be affected when you switch to the Verizon phone, and whether they will provide the best PRL file for your area if you have trouble with the one installed during OTA. If you have any questions, check the PRL number on your phone after OTA and call them to ask about coverage and roaming using this file in your area and when you travel out of the area.

Technically, the phone will work for talk, text and maybe mms. But Alltel features that depend on special software won't, because you do not have the Alltel software like Celltop on your Verizon phone. I do not know whether your phone's special Vzw software will work if you activate via Alltel.

If the Alltel reps tell you they cannot add your Verizon phone, be very polite and tell them this is disappointing. You will have to consider switching to Pageplus Cellular prepaid. They charge much less per minute ($80 for 2000 minutes via a good dealer like Kitty Wireless; service lasts up to a year). That may influence them. If they do not budge, have Kitty or Pageplus port your Alltel number to Pageplus and add your VX9100 to your account. The 1200-1200-50mb plan is also an excellent value at $30/month. You can use any Verizon phone except the cheap Vzw and Alltel prepaid models. They are allowing most Blackberries to be activated now, even though they have not officially dropped the BlackBerry ban.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  16. xX_Cyberion_Xx

xX_Cyberion_Xx New Member

Alltel will NOT activate a VZW phone.

CDMA phones have their ESN registered with the carrier. If another carrier is to use the phone, it has to be released by the original carrier.

The buyout pretty much ended that between Alltel and VZW.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?