1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

ampd mobile

Discussion in 'amp'd mobile' started by Dellito8600, May 2, 2006.

1. Dellito8600

Dellito8600 New Member

hey how about that new ampd mobile. how is it working for the ones who own one?

› See More: ampd mobile
  2. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

It's just nextel prepaid, isn't it?

3. Bourn Identity

Bourn Identity Cellular Superman

I think you are thinking Boost Mobile. Amp'd has Push-to-Talk, but I'm pretty sure you can't use it with Nextel or Boost customers. In my opinion, their plans are a bit high(starting at $100). You can get unlimited minutes on a couple of their plans, but I don't know if I would pay that much.

4. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

ah, yeh, I was thinking of boost

5. Brad729

Brad729 New Member

I went to their website and started reading old press releases, here's what I found:
    Basically, they have identical coverage to Verizon because they resell service on Verizon's network. Hope that answers your question, you can find out a lot more on their site by reading those press releases under "About Us". :p

6. Brad729

Brad729 New Member

Actually, their website is tricky. They highball you with the most expensive plans, and hide the cheap plans on page 2, which happens to be a very small link. They have a $30 plan for 500 minutes or $50 for 1000 minutes, but am I correct in assuming there are no nights & weekends on any of their plans? :confused:

They seem like a "hybrid" company to me, a cross between contract and prepaid. Text and picture mail is all on a per-use rate, but Verizon's coverage is good. (Verizon does not own Amp'd, btw, they are an independent provider that purchases airtime from Verizon and resells it) :smart:

7. n1ckel5

n1ckel5 Look who's back!

from what i remember of the engadget podcast, they're basically marketing towards the younger, hip, tech crowd. multimedia capabilities and web browsing.

treat that little tidbit as hear-say, but i think i'm pretty close.

i recommend a search on engadget's website if anyone is really interested in a review of ampd.

8. Bourn Identity

Bourn Identity Cellular Superman

Oh I see, their rates aren't that bad after all. Since it is a contract service though, you'd think they'd throw in some nights and weekends on their low-end plans.

9. roberts1953

roberts1953 New Member

They are competitive with rates, but only in Verizon's native network. Then they charge for add ons. I wonder how much for roaming outside of that network? Definitely not as big of coverage as Verizon's contract plans, though.

10. BigBoss91

BigBoss91 New Member

I have Amp'd Mobile. Theyr'e rates start at 500 min. for $30. Unlimited nights cost $7 extra (start at 7 pm and end at 6am). Unlimited text $10, Amp'd Overload $15, Amp'd Overdose $20. They are a good company. A song can be purchased for $.99. Provides internet service. Charge by # of kilobytes transferred while using the internet. 18 month contract required. The same person who started Boost mobile in Australia started Amp'd Mobile here.

Approximately 90 % coverage of the Nation. They charge only for international calls. Domestic calls don't cost extra they are included in the plan.

Now they have Pay as You go and are starting to bring stores by late this year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  11. roberts1953

roberts1953 New Member

Is the coverage the same for the PAYG? Any charges for roaming off native Verizon towers? If so, how much?

12. BigBoss91

BigBoss91 New Member

I have never had any roaming charges. I traveled to florida from Mass. in a car and never once did i roam. (The phones come with a roam alert). I think they do charge but I don't know how much they charge for roaming, and Yes the coverage is the same.

13. haydeno

haydeno New Member

i have paygo and it rocks! free roam, free data(yes at least for now it is free, allthough eventually it will be $0.30 per mb or $10 unlimited, still WAY better than cingulars $10 per meg for prepaid)

14. Dannyboy1277

Dannyboy1277 New Member

How do you put money in the your ampd account?Can i buy cards or is a credit card required.

15. haydeno

haydeno New Member

credit\debit i think u can buy em @ best buy soon

1 person likes this.
  16. jagstang33

jagstang33 New Member

yeah i got a question about the ampd pay as you go..........i know theres the $20,$30,$50 top-up cards but how many minutes do you get with each of them????

17. Brad729

Brad729 New Member

Amp'd just launched their prepaid recently, if I posted the rates and minutes it's likely to change in the future and my post would become inaccurate. Why not just look at ampdMobile for the answer to your question? ;)

18. roberts1953

roberts1953 New Member

Always 10 cents/min. Then do the math from there for the denomination you purchased.

19. xXAaronXx

xXAaronXx New Member

I think this question has been resolved, but I will do a quick summary:

ampd = cheaper way to get verizon coverage with much more media content but a small selection of phones

Ampd offers nights and weekends, texting, all of those nice things. They are on the page after you select a plan.

"right now they also have an end the boredom plan which has free text and 3 free months of overdose!"

And roaming is free just like with verizon.

--also, i dont know why for sure, but when i was checking out all the stores that have ampd, the ampd phones had 3 bars of service where my chocolate had only 1--

..I switched from verizon now after being charged 2x more than I was expecting 3 months in a row and had no reception with my chocolate phone at my new house..

20. gurarani26

gurarani26 New Member

AMPD CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS! don't do it!

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?