1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

best non smartphone with a great camera?

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by cerebralcow, Apr 4, 2011.

1. cerebralcow

cerebralcow New Member

My mom is looking for a new phone. Shes almost 70 so she doesn't want a smartphone or anything over complicated. She mostly just wants to replace her camera because she forgets to take it with her sometimes. I know that phone cameras only go up to about 5 or 6 megapixles. What are a few good choices from Verizon? A QWERTY keypad would be a plus too. Were going to the Verizon store in day or two.

› See More: best non smartphone with a great camera?
    1 person likes this.
  2. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately you're not going to get a 5 -6mp camera on a phone that isn't a smartphone. Most of the cameras in feature phones are 1.3 - 2mp

You may want to check out the Pantech Jest - it has a 2mp camera and qwerty keyboard.
    1 person likes this.
  3. uffdabock

uffdabock New Member

Not correct info give by tavenger5 (admin). Verizon offers the the Kin Twom which has an 8 megapixel camera and can record 720p video. It is a "feature phone" that does not require any sort of data plan. It also has wifi so you can browse the web and if you turn off data use either on the internet or over the phone with a rep there is no possible way you will ever get charged for data use.

These types of phones are exactly what millions of customers have been craving for years ever since data plans came into existence. Wifi is pretty common in cities (starbucks) and with almost everyone having a wifi router for their computer you could browse the web on your phone anywhere around your house. The 8mp camera is also very welcome and it is a decent replacement to a digital camera.

They really need to make more phones like this but they probably won't because they would lose millions of dollars on the people who pay for data plans. As far as I know the Kin Twom is the only phone in existence for any carrier with a 5mp+ camera and wifi that don't require a data plan. Android/iphones are great don't get me wrong. But it is a crime that phone companies are so greedy that they won't allow low income families to enjoy "some" of the features (internet/good camera) without paying $30 more a month.

The Kin twom gets mixed reviews. It's operating system is slow. It's got a complicated interface. It's camera even with 8mp's doesn't work well indoors. It's web browsing software is very slow. Thing is there is no other phone on the market you can compare it to. This phone was released a year ago and still no carrier has released a phone with the impressive specs of the Kin twom. I seriously think that the reason this phone didn't live up to it's potential and the reason nobody has released anything with it's potential is because (Verizon, AtnT, etc) won't allow it. They are paying off companies with HTC, LG, etc from making a great feature phone with a nice camera and free wifi.

P.S. I believe that anyone who posts false information like tavenger5 (admin), works for one of the major cell phone companies. I see it all the time when people ask "Are there any good phones that don't require a data plan? These threads get flamed by many people either giving misinformation saying "no there are no good phones" or ridiculing the OP's telling them to "stop being stingy and just buy a smartphone". We live in a real messed up world.

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

I am in the market for a feature phone. I am eligible for any "new customer" discounts or Verizon's new every two. Anyone who is not paid off by a cell phone provider have any advice on a good "feature phone"? I read that the HTC Freestyle (only available from ATnT) is great but it doesn't have wifi.

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

Also cerebralcow, Verizon offers the Pantech Crux (3.0mp) and the LG Octane (3.2mp) Those are both listed under "feature phones" on verizon's website. I do not have any opinion on them atm since I have just started my search for a phone. It seems your mom and I are looking for a similar phone. The Pantech Crux is free on Verizon's site to customers eligible for an upgrade discount and the LG Octane is $69.99 on verizon's site but FREE if you go to Amazon Wireless.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?