1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Bitpim cant get ringtones on to my Dare

Discussion in 'LG Dare' started by Grabula, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Grabula

Grabula New Member

Just bought an LG Dare on the Telus network and was horrified to find out you cant put your own ringtones on it. I read through a lot of threads and it sounded like Bitpim was the best option so I downloaded it and got to work. Unfortunately when I try to transfer ringtones they dont show up on my phone, Bitpim says transfer complete and even restarts the phone but I cant find the ringtones anywhere on the phone itself.

I've also tried the texting to yourself trick, but that doesn't work on the Telus network, the attachment can only be downloaded into mysounds. I should also mention I'm working on an intel mac, but I'll be installing windows within the next week or two, so I'll have that option too.

If anyone has had the same issue and can give me any advice I'd be much obliged.

› See More: Bitpim cant get ringtones on to my Dare
  2. Scroogie

Scroogie New Member

Yes, bitpim CAN do it for you. I picked up a Dare on Telus yesterday, and by midnight I had figgered it out. (There are at least 3 places where you would think the ringtones would go.)

First, where are you putting the ringtones? You need to drag & drop them from windows explorer into:

File system/brew/mod/ringtone.

Also, make sure the phone detected is manually changed to "Dare" (VX-9700).

No need to convert or rename to .mid, or even make sure they're under 30 seconds. Some of mine are a few tenths of a second longer than 30 and they still work.

Have fun with your new toy. BTW - by 04:30 I finally got my phone book off my Bell Moto E815 and onto the Dare. It was a TASK and a half.

Scroogie
  3. Grabula

Grabula New Member

Thanks for the advice, but no dice. I'm working on a mac so the file structure is a bit different, in other words there isn't a system/brew/mod as in yours. On the mac it's phone/media/ringers, and that's where I'm putting my ring tones, under ringers. I'm upgrading my OS later this week and will be installing windows in addition to my mac operating system, maybe that'll help.
  4. Grabula

Grabula New Member

Okay, my bad,:blush: I just figured it out.

Bitpim has a slightly different layout on the Mac, you have to go to the view drop down menu and click on show filesystem, at this point the filesystem icon will appear in the left hand side column (it should appear close to the bottom), click on it and you'll get a new column next to it with the backslash "/" and from there you follow the above mentioned path to ringtone. Worked like a charm!:D

Thanks for the help Scroogie

Why are service providers so greedy? They do all this in the name of copyright protection when obviously this is a case of fair use. Then they have the audacity to charge $3.50 for something that's 99 cents on iTunes.
  5. sinaman

sinaman New Member

I am new on this. I just get a Telus LG Dare. But I can not figure on how to. Could you give me a step by step instruction. Thanks in advance
  6. Axl

Axl Member

7. darrin96

darrin96 New Member

Hi there, hope that you can help me a bit here. I have the Dare from Telus and I had the V700 before. I think the V700 is almost the same as the E815.....how did you transfer your phonebook?

Thanks in advance!
  8. darrin96

darrin96 New Member

I can not get the mp3's in the folder as you show....I get the message "Access to the file/directory has been blocked on this phone by the phone provider"
    Please help!
  9. HellaTruvios

HellaTruvios New Member

Download latest test program of bitpim.
    Search on the net for these drivers exactly. (LGUSBModemDriver_WHQL_Eng_Ver_4.8.1.exe)
    Install them, now maybe you need to restart you're Pc maybe not. Try opening bitpim, connect phone to you're PC. Make sure to tick "No" when it asks if you want to start the USB mass storage. You do not want to.

Now bitpim may load "Other CDMA device" whatever it says. If so then you will manually set it. Go to the "Edit" tab on Bitpim, go to "Settings", now where it shows the "phone type", choose LG-VX9100 (enV 2).

Also on that same page see if "detect phone" is ticked. If not leave it, if it is ticked, make sure to untick it"

Once you have that, now make sure you can see "File System". By doing that go to the "View" tab at the top of Bitpim, and select View filesystem. If its already selected then read the next paragraph. If not then tick it and a area will pop up.

Now that you see it, double click it, it'll load. Please do not rush it. Let it load. It may take some time depending on so many things. Once it loads, you should now see a huge list of directories. Select "/brew/mod/ringtone/" Simply select the ringtone folder. Now all you need to do is "Add new file on the right side of the spot. To achieve that right click and an option will ask you. It'll allow you to browse your file. Now I only have mp3's as my ringtones. So I am not to sure what other files. I presume midi files and possibly 3gps as well will work.

That's how I got the Telus LG Dare (VX9700) To work with you're own mp3's.
    2 people like this.
  10. Cody21

Cody21 Member

Few questions: 1 - Why do you NOT want it to start USB Mass Storage? Is this the DATA "SYNC" option on the Phone and should it be left to PROMPT?

2 - My DARE is automatically detected when I launch BITPIM, Why would I want to change it to the VX9100 (env 2) ???? Makes no sense.

3 - Why would you NOT want it to "auto detect" the phone, if in fact it is successful in detecting it.. again, makes no sense why we would do that..
    1 person likes this.
  11. HellaTruvios

HellaTruvios New Member

I do not blame you for being curious. Though if you did it, and it worked then you would have had a different prompt.

1- You do not get ringtones on you're phone through mass storage. The phone locks up in that mode and only allows USB transfer through the SD card. That IS NOT what we want. Just choose "no". Or leave it alone. Whatever option that enables the Mode, connection then it will work.

2&3- My dare is not automatically detected, its actually defined as "other".
    Regardless, if yours is detected as the proper phone, and you can edit the file system then no need for changing it. Just for the most part, having it on that, when it assigns another, and or it doesn't work while on your phone model choosing the enV 2 will make it work. Why? It thinks that's the phone, therefor unlocking it. While having it on another one may prevent you from transferring files.

Pretty much choosing the other one will allow it to write files to your phone.
    Auto detecting will change it. That is why.

Try seeing if it works. Remember what I mentioned.
  12. mjs020294

mjs020294 New Member

You do not need to use the file-system to get ring tones on the Dare. Just paste you files into the Media/Ring tones folder and send info to the phone. You don't have to convert them or change the length, I have 3 minute MP3s that work fine.
  13. Cody21

Cody21 Member

I think this is the confusion that is going on with this product. Some references state to use the ICON view that comes up & just drag & drop. Other reference suggest that we need to maniuplate/modify items using the TREE View... at least I'm confused over this. It just seems to me that there are a couple of different elements that should direct users to use one or the other...

1 - in it's simplist form, if we only want to add calendar items, add ring tones, etc., we should always just use the ICON view to drag & drop items into their respective areas.

2 - the TREE view is considered "expert view" since we're actually modifying the file system itself ... I would think that THIS method is where you MUST have a full Backup of the BREW directory and everything under it ... My only other question about this method is that THIS IS THE HACKING OF THE PHONE, right ???????? Whereas method 1 above is not "hacking the phone" ... or is either method considered a HACK ??????

I've yet to modify anything on my phone with BitPim until this is all clear in my mind as to what I am doing to the phone and where my Warranty might be voided...

Thanks
  14. sinaman

sinaman New Member

Are we talking about Telus LG Dare, Not Verizon, right?
  15. mjs020294

mjs020294 New Member

No, mine is Verizon. I have done everything from the icon view, apart from loading music which is on my SD card.
  16. HellaTruvios

HellaTruvios New Member

Yup talking specifically about the Telus provided one. Its different apart from the Verizon provided phone. The ares where people mostly specify to get the ringtones to work, and methods do not work. I had bought the Lg Dare Last Friday, December 19th. As of then I had been able to do about everything that people have mentioned. Methods may have been differently. Icon view "Does not work" With ringtones on my view. Only, and I mean "only" method that worked was through tree view, viewing the file system.

@Cody- It doesn't matter whether you do the icon view or tree view. At least to the degree you're talking about. Regardless of what you do, you're "hacking" the phone. You're going against the TOS and user agreement. (Unless specified)
  17. BeeDee

BeeDee New Member

I just got this phone and went through all the steps provided, but bitpim says that the file directory is blocked by the provider. and i'm on the telus network so i'm just wondering if anyone with a telus dare has gotten this to work. thanks.

EDIT: if you are having this problem try restarting bitpim or unplugging your phone. it seems to work for me now.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  18. HellaTruvios

HellaTruvios New Member

Ah yes the Telus LG Dare is just simply in the "Ringtone" folder that is viewed with bitpim. ^-^

Thanks everyone. Shutting down the phone and turning it back on is how to see the ringtones after. Thank you.
  19. sinaman

sinaman New Member

Thank you. It works. I really enjoy my ring tone now. But how to make it as default ring tone?
  20. HellaTruvios

HellaTruvios New Member

Go to ringtones.

To get there, press "Menu" The bottom middle icon.
    Press "Music & Media", then choose "Ringtones & Sounds", "My ringtones".

Click on the song you want as the ringtone. Do not click play, like choose to click on the middle or the first part of the file name. Then a menu will pop up showing various things. Choose "Set as", then choose "Ringtone". It'll check mark and then you're done!

Another way is to go to "Menu", "Settings", "Sound settings", "Call sounds", "Call Ringtone", Click on the song, "Set" it'll check mark. Then voila! Done. :)

The other method, the first one I mentioned, is good for assigning Ringtones for certain people. You can also do that by going to "Contacts"(On the phone main screen/Or by Menu choose "Contact list"), Select the contact you want. Click "Edit", Scroll down and you should see the "Ringtone" Select that, and then "re-assign", Click on the ringtone same method as above.Check marks and voila!

Hope I could help others out there as well. People I noticed lots of people in fact DO NOT really play with their own phones and learn about it. People are afraid to mess things up. Honestly that's how we learn. You screw up, that's what the warranty is for. Don't got one, then you'll find a kind enough person top repair it, "or altogether get you a new one".

I've seen plenty of help these days. Maybe not to much, but good kind people. So go on and give a bit too.

Enjoy

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?