1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

How-to block a number on verizon

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by Phyco_can, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Phyco_can

Phyco_can New Member

i have already called verizon to see if they can do it and as sone of you may now they dont have that service, i have the v-cast phone from lg the VX8100
    if anybody knows any alternate ways to block a specific number that doesnt cosist of simply setting a specific ringtone or call id name so that i ignore her or dont even know that this person is calling ,i dont even want to hear this bi#^* on my voicemail.any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks, Phyco

› See More: block a number on verizon
  2. spum

spum Random News Bot

Re: how do i block a specific phone number

Admin Edit

This is the proper way to block cell phone numbers on Verizon:

The free 90 day block option:
    From My Verizon Home:
    1. Mouse over the "My Verizon" tab
    2. Select "Manage Verizon Family Safeguards & Controls" (under My Plans & Services)
    3. Scroll down to "Call & Message Blocking" and click "Add now"
    4. Select the line you wish to block numbers for or click the "Apply these settings to all eligible lines"
    5. You can enter up to 5 numbers to block for 90 days.
    The "FamilyBase" package lets you block numbers as long as you want, but it is $4.99 per line. It also includes other restriction options.
    My Verizon Home:
    1. Mouse over the "My Verizon" tab
    2. Select "Manage Verizon Family Safeguards & Controls" (under My Plans & Services)
    3. Scroll down to "Family Base" and click "Add Now"
    4. Select the numbers you wish to use the feature on - it is $4.99 per month per line
    5. Continue with adding the feature to your account & Enter the numbers you wish to block
    (updated for new interface 9/2013)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. char777

char777 New Member

My brother always said that you could call Verizon and they would block a number and I was seriously thinking about blocking my "friend" this summer due to his vulgar prank calls and voicemails. Apparently, however, they told you that you couldn't, but maybe if you tried another customer care person and they might let you.

But what I ended up doing was that I changed my voicemail greeting to one I made in GarageBand (on my mac) that plays the No Connection sound (bo-ba-beep!) and a guy that says "the number you have dialed is not in service) and then plays a no connection sound again, makes a disconnect sound, and then a recorded dial tone goes on for about 20 seconds. It's still a voicemail message, though, but the dial tone goes on for so long that they hang up. And you can tell people that need to reach you to just wait out the dial tone or press a key that makes the voicemail lady butt in.

I made a few phone habits to complete this, too:
    • I only had my phone on when I needed to use it. That way, the phone didn't ring.
    • When I did have my phone on, I changed it so that when I answered a call, I had to open it and then choose to answer or ignore it. The ignore button leads the person directly to voicemail.
    • When the person called, if my phone was on, I pressed the ignore button as quickly as I could. Be sure to press it because if it does the standard amount of rings, they'll know you just changed your vm.
    • I told people I trusted and needed to talk to how to bypass it which was a)pressing a button during the greeting or b) waiting until the greeting ended and the voicemail lady came on and started doing the spiel about "leave a message after the tone or press 1 for more options".

If you're interested, let me know. I can send you an MP3 of it and you can just play it full blast through headphones from your computer into your cell phone microphone and it sounds fine. I'll give this to anyone else, too.

1 person likes this.
  4. Phyco_can

Phyco_can New Member

yes, i think that this would be very helpfull to me as eventually i think she would stop calling thinking that i changed my number or stopped paying my bills, so if you would send this to me that would be great, thanks char

5. dude222

dude222 New Member

Anytime you call someone with Verizon, or they call you, you (they) can bypass the phone they are calling's voicemail greeting by pressing the * key. You hear the beep immediately and can leave a message.

1 person likes this.
  6. xXAaronXx

xXAaronXx New Member

That seems like a lot of hassle. It is a clever idea though. I would just save all those voicemails and tell him to stop or you will get him in some serious trouble.

Either through parents if its a young kid, or you can threaten to go to the police. it is a extreme move, but they should stop being stupid.

7. char777

char777 New Member

It's not that hard to do. The only required thing you have to do is rerecord your voice greeting, and the rest is up to you. While the rest sounds like a lot, it isn't, and you'll get used to it after a while. Threats may not necessarily stop the issue as I threatened to take this to the police with my friend, and that made him do it more. Of course, it depends on the situation. In my case, it was prank calling, and threats just don't go anywhere. If it's an angry ex or equivalent, then maybe, but I think my system is pretty good at getting people to stop talking to you.

8. crimsonwhat

crimsonwhat New Member

What about just changing your number? I'm sure if you told the customer service rep your story, they might waive the number change fee for you (if you cell provider charges for that kind of thing). I know that when people call in and give me a viable reason on why they need their number changed...like say, harassment, or some sort of error on Cingular's part....I usually waive the fee.
    Just a suggestion. :)

9. jeaniesing

jeaniesing New Member

you can block Verizon text messages through www.vtext.com... I'm amazed that you cannot block nimbers, landline companies will suspend numbers for you!

10. Chuney15

Chuney15 New Member

hey i would love to have that mp3 i think thats a great idea how can you send it?????

11. Hillary229

Hillary229 New Member

Chuney15 - I was reading through your post and thought it was brilliant idea, ive tried everything from calling verizon, to asking around, and Verizon said i couldnt block a number without filing a police report but i dont want to wait days..im being harassed on a daily basis by my ex. any help would be MUCH appreciated!:)

12. daytrade

daytrade New Member

Does anyone still happen to have char777's "No Connection" voicemail greeting mp3? Please let me know asap! I'm a new user and can't pm him yet. Thanks

Josh

13. bigpimpin i710

bigpimpin i710 New Member

What about saving the number in contacts, the under the custom ringer settings, set it to silent. It would show up on the display, but no sound. I know it doesn't really "solve" the problem, cause the person can still leave a VM, but just an idea.

Or you could always threaten with legal action. All you ahve to do is tell the person one time to stop calling, then after that if they keep on, its harrasment.

14. spike5000

spike5000 New Member

Verizon can block up to 5 numbers for free.

15. Panya7

Panya7 New Member

What about just changing your number? I'm sure if you told the customer service rep your story, they might waive the number change fee for you (if you cell provider charges for that kind of thing). I know that when people call in and give me a viable reason on why they need their number changed...like say, harassment, or some sort of error on Cingular's part....I usually waive the fee.
    Just a suggestion

16. elle

elle New Member

that's a really clever idea w/ the soundclip... i want to set it as a ringback so that it doesn't even ring... does anyone know if it's possible to have a ringback for only 1 phone number? Is there an easy program to record your own ringback and download it? i have a blackberry if that helps. thanks!

17. mrmusic

mrmusic New Member

You can set a ring back for only one number but no way of making your own ring back What have done for people that call me is i added them to my phone as a ignore so when the call comes it it gos right to voicemail some phones have it other wise just set the ringer for those callers to silent and you will never here them ring.

CJ

18. Mush

Mush New Member

You can block numbers for $4.99/month through "parental controls"

Go the Verizon's website, log in and then go to "My Services," then "Usage Controls" and then to "blocked numbers."

I just blocked my ex! Woo hoo!

19. Interquartz

Interquartz New Member

i have no idea

20. dude222

dude222 New Member

You can call VZW customer service and they can block certain numbers for you, only they can do it. I just had it done with 2 numbers on my son's phone. Only they can unblock them as well. There may be a certain limit, maybe 10 or 12 numbers.

While you can do this, the numbers you block can still text message you.

1 person likes this.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?