1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Caller ID said it was my husband, but it wasn't...

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by luzianne, Mar 22, 2006.

1. luzianne

luzianne New Member

I have Verizon, my husband has T-Mobile. Yesterday my phone rang and I quickly looked at Caller ID, saw it was my husband, and answered. There was a woman on the phone asking for "Angel." I thought I must have misread the Caller ID. I told her she had the wrong number and she said "NO, I don't..." I told her she did, and hung up. Right after that, my husband called. Asked if something weird was going on with my phone because he had just tried to call me and the call wouldn't go through. I told him about the woman asking for Angel.

Okay, several hours later...my phone rang again. Again my husband on the Caller ID. I answered and there was a woman who started to ask for someone, and then, sounding confused, said "I have this number programmed into my cell phone. Is this ________?" and she said something about she was either calling military corrections or she was calling FROM military corrections, I'm not sure which. I told her no, the number she was trying to dial was not even close to my number (same area code, but the rest completely different). So we hung up. Again, right after I hung up phone rang again, Caller ID again said it was my husband, and I answered and it was him saying the same thing happened as earlier, he tried to call me and the call wouldn't go through, then he hung up and called back and it went through.

Now if the woman/women (I am assuming it was the same person but not sure) didn't sound so confused themselves, I would be accusing my husband of some woman using his cell phone and accidentally or on purpose calling me - but the content of the calls makes no sense in that regard.

I would think it was spoofing EXCEPT that with spoofing I would think the calls wouldn't be coming right when my husband was actually trying to call me. It's like he tries to call me and I get connected with someone else, not him, but the Caller ID says it's him.

Does this make sense to anyone? I am completely stumped. When he got home we tried it several times to see if his calling me resulted in someone else connecting with my phone, and it never did - it was always him.

We've had our phones/service long enough to know this is something very strange; it's never happened before. Any ideas?

› See More: Caller ID said it was my husband, but it wasn't...
  2. ssault

ssault New Member

I will tell you this much first off,

:hypnotize Weird.

I suppose the most logical answer would be that somehow the phone systems got realllllllllly messed up. My theory is that when your husband called you, another outbound call from another cell phone got routed to yours. Because of a problem at the digital level between Verizon, TMobile, and the third person's service provider (possibly one of the same), the numbers got twisted. While your husband opened the line to call you, Verizon saw the number trying to call you, and somehow took another outbound call instead. This could have lead to your phone recognizing the number, but it being from another source. This lead your husbands call to go nowhere, and not go through to you. I would think that the cause of this was a problem of digital communication between the two or three service providers involved. If you think about how many cell phones there are in the world, it's obvious that there's more then one outbound call happening at one time. That's my theory, and who knows if it's right.

Weird? Yes.
    Unexplanable? Perhaps.
  3. Zelf24

Zelf24 New Member

Wow, that is quite the strange story. Amazing. I'd really be interested to know the outcome if luzianne decides to pursue this any further.
  4. SilverEagle5

SilverEagle5 New Member

About a month or so ago, I was walking around the mall (which is irrevelant) and I got a phone call from a number I didn't know, so I didn't answer. A few minutes later, I got a call from the same person, so I answered, but it was nobody I knew I explained they had the wrong number, and hung up. A few minutes after that, I got a call from the same people, but when I answered I could barely hear them, so I hung up again. It hasn't happened since, but it's somewhat similar to your story, because I would imagine they were using a pre-programmed number in a cell phone, because nobody mis-dials a number 3 or 4 times in a row. The only difference is, nobody, as far as I know, was trying to call me. Not that this story helps, just something similar.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?