1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Can I add a phone without a contract?

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by Red Squirrel, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel New Member

I unfortunately have 3 phones with Verizon and not half way through the 2 year contract. I have one other phone via Cingular and they're doing things to screw me (added a $5 TDMA access fee because the phone is 4 years old). I'd like to drop that Cingular phone and add an additional phone to my Verizon family plan until the existing contracts run out. BUT, I don't want to sign yet another 2 year contract (which will force all 4 phones to reset their 4 year contracts, I hate that!) I have a box full of older Verizon phones... I'd like to take one of them and just add it to the plan and pay the $10 more per month.

Anyone know if this is possible? I asked at the Verizon store yesterday and the rude lady said she can't do that, that I have to sign for 2 years and get the new phone. I think she's lying to me. I also asked about the VX9900 and that seemed to anger her and she didn't answer anything. As an aside, I'm finding it harder and harder to not just insult these Verizon store employees right to their faces when they give me idiotic unhelpful answers like this. (I've already been yelling out things such as "What??? You disabled most of the Bluetooth profiles??" for all to hear while I'm in the store.) Whatever happened to an attitude of "I'm here to serve you and meet your needs as best we can"?

Anyway... sorry I get carried away... can an old phone just be added? I just need to hold out until the contracts end December 2007 so I can switch all 4 phones to non-Verizon.

› See More: Can I add a phone without a contract?
  2. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel New Member

I'm guessing the answer is no since no one replied. I really should let the contracts expire, except who would I go to. Cingular has a good network but is incompetent. No other providers work well around here.

3. spum

spum Random News Bot

You can add a phone to your service, but you need to sign a contract on the new line. You can either sign a one year or a two year contract. The phone will be more expensive with a one year contract. It sounds like if you want all of the phones to end around the same time, you could get away with a one year contract. If you're dealing with a rep that won't sell you an add-on with a one year contract, just go to a different location. It's possible, but some people don't like to do it because they don't make any money on it.

4. y2kgtp

y2kgtp New Member

Can I ask what the 4th line is for? Is it 1 phone for each member of the family? It might be easier\cheaper in the long run to just get a separate single line perhaps?

As you already have extra phones that are compatible with Verizon, why not just get a year contract on a phone you already own.....just a thought.

5. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel New Member

Each phone is for a family member. I don't suppose Verizon will sign a new agreement (different plan) that is just month to month if I provide my own phone? I'm really baffled what the contract and the HUGE cancellation fee is all about if I'm not even getting a discount on a new phone.

6. y2kgtp

y2kgtp New Member

HUGE cancellation fee (175$) is probably to pay for the phone that they built the purchase price into your monthly bill.....regardless if you only have 1 month left on the contract....I wish they would pro-rate the fee myself.....

7. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel New Member

Pro-rated fee would be an improvement.

Also, pro-rated discount on the "new every 2" would be good if you wanted a new phone after only one year. Why not? Verizon will still earn money... people like me who want the latest phone NOW all the time are probably buying the most expensive phones so I'm still shelling out $250 or whatever. Besides the discount is only $100 now... used to be $200... its not much of a discount anymore, new phones come out rapidly and 2 years is a long time for $100 bucks. Verizon should just prorate it.

8. paulcman

paulcman New Member

Actually, Verizon does offer that, it's called an early upgrade. After 1 year of service, you can upgrade your equipment for the promotional pricing. Nobody else in the industry gives you that kind of flexibility.

9. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel New Member

Huh? Then, why it is every time I go to the Verizon store, they tell me I'm not eligible until the 2 year period is up? They want to lose a sale or something?

10. y2kgtp

y2kgtp New Member

I have not seen this either myself......I look online, and it will let me get (for example) a chocolate phone for 329$ or so now, or if I wait for my "early renewal" time of 2/20/2007, I can get it for 49$ (I have a work discount)

So to me, it appears that the early upgrade period is only 2 months prior to your
    contract expiration. This was the same when we resigned our contract previously as well......

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  11. y2kgtp

y2kgtp New Member

Just logged in to my acct, and checked for grins:

Upgrade Status:
    You will be eligible to upgrade your phone with discounted pricing on 02/20/2007.
    If you prefer, you can upgrade today at full retail price.

12. spum

spum Random News Bot

I don't think the early upgrade can be done online because it requires an override. You also need to be billed at $59.99 or higher. Call customer service and ask them if you're eligible for an early upgrade. If you are, they will be able to do it over the phone.

13. y2kgtp

y2kgtp New Member

Were going to the mall tonight to grab some food....I'll stop in the Verizon store and ask the salesperson.....I believe you need to be within 60 days of your contract expiration.

14. spum

spum Random News Bot

No, I'm telling you that you don't. I know this. I work for Verizon, as does paulcman. The NE2 is 60 months before the end of the contract. And early upgrade is after one year as long as your phone line is billed at $59.99 or above. If you go to a store, make sure that it is a corporate store. Indirect stores can't process early upgrades. It would be easier to just call customer service and ask them if you're eligible for an early upgrade.

15. y2kgtp

y2kgtp New Member

Ok, it was not a corporate store, so they gave me the 60 day story.....

We currently have the family share plan, for 1000 minutes.....So basicly I can go in to a corporate store tomorrow, and resign a 2 year contract and get new phones? (at the same price for the phones as if I was within the 60 days of the contract expiration?) if I state I want to "early upgrade"?

I also get a corporate work discount as well....off of 1 phone at least....

16. char777

char777 New Member

Verizon isn't the only one that does that. My mom has a two year on Sprint and she always gets a discounted phone after 1 year, and my sisters do the same. Not sure about the other two, though.

17. LRando

LRando New Member

I also don't think you can get a new phone early. I have called the Verizon # on my bill and asked this question. Their statement is that if you have a 2 year contract you can resign and get a phone after 22 months. If you are on a 1 year contract, it's after 10 months. What is the difference between say a "corporate" store and a full service store in a mall? I don't mean one of those small satellite stores. I mean a full service store.
    Something that does stink w/verizon is that only the MAIN # on a family share plan gets the new every 2. The others can upgrade every 2 years but they have to pay the discounted price on the phone. My friend has team mobile and all 3 phones on her acct can upgrade. That's the way it should be.

18. char777

char777 New Member

Don't you mean T-Mobile and not Team Mobile? :)

19. LRando

LRando New Member

I think the T is for Team

I believe the "T" originally stood for Team Mobile and they then shortened it over time to t mobile.

20. char777

char777 New Member

Re: I think the T is for Team

No, it alctually stands for the last word in their parent company's name, Telekom. T-Mobile USA is owned by German company Deutsche Telekom, which launched the T-Mobil (later with an e) brand in the 1990's throught Europe. In 2001, they purchased USA's VoiceStream Wireless and rebranded it by their brand, T-Mobile.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?