1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

can I just replace existing phone with smart phone?

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by gchalifoux, Oct 19, 2011.

1. gchalifoux

gchalifoux New Member

good morning world!

I have a samsung intensity, simple old school querty keybrd nonsmart :(phone.

can I take advantage of wifi say at home or in the office or anywhere it is available without upgrading my service? ie data service?

I am assuming a smart phone will pickup any wifi service it can locate. I am also assuming in order to take advantage of 3/4G services I would require a plan upgrade.

In the end, if I am say just given a smart phone, can I simply deactivate 1 phone and activate my number on the new smart phone without upgrading my plan.

thanks/Gary

› See More: can I just replace existing phone with smart phone?
  2. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately if you get a smart phone on Verizon and you'll also have to get a data plan. You can get a new smart phone, Verizon will detect the change and ask you to select a data plan.

3. gchalifoux

gchalifoux New Member

hmmmmm, really, interesting....even know the phone app is using the phone, ah....but the data is traveling the "verizon wireless signal" ??? ....ya I guess that makes sense. Are all carriers the same....seems to me my son is doing just this with....his carrier.......

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?