1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Cell Phone Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by timothy2180, Jul 17, 2011.

1. timothy2180

timothy2180 New Member

Hey first post here.

So, my Motorola Droid is somewhat broken to the point that I do not want to use it anymore, and I really do not want to spend the mandatory $30 a month for the data plan with that phone. Also, I don't want to spend $100-800 on a new phone from Verizon.

I am very much naive about the unlocked phone market, but I found some online. If I buy a used unlocked phone, will I be able to use it on Verizon? Does it matter if it is GSM, dual-band? Anything? Should I be able to use nearly any phone? Also, which cell phone technology would be compatible with most/all providers? I think I remember CDMA being Verizon exclusive? Maybe that is wrong.

Also, I am currently on a contract. I have it suspended right now because I am deployed(US Military). We go back soon though, and I will need to reactivate. Would I have any problems saying something along the lines of "I am back in the US and want to resume my contract but my smart phone is no longer usable so I am switching to a basic phone, and want my data plan cancelled."

One last question. I am up for an upgrade around January. Is there any way to get some benefit out of Verizon without buying a new phone? Lets say I am happy with whatever unlocked phone I get. Can I tell them I want them to give me a cheaper deal on monthly service instead of the "new every two" perk?

Thanks much!

› See More: Cell Phone Dilemma
  2. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately you can't just buy an unlocked phone and use it on Verizon. You'll have to get a phone that is for Verizon. They are CDMA yes.

You can get a non-smart phone and cancel the data plan, yes.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. timothy2180

timothy2180 New Member

Alright, so I cannot use non-CDMA, and I must use a CDMA phone from Verizon?

However, I can buy a used Verizon phone and switch service over to that phone, correct?

Thanks for the quick reply!

4. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

Yes - you can buy a used Verizon phone and activate it on Verizon as long as the ESN is clean. This means that the phone is not lost or stolen. If it was the ESN would be marked as so. There's really no easy way to verify this before purchase.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?