1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Info Chocolate Tips and Hacks

Discussion in 'LG Chocolate' started by jdeg, Jan 21, 2007.

1. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

Post your tips and 'hacks' here...

Turn off EV-DO and Save Battery Life:
    • From the home screen menu+0 (for the 8550 - Dial ##PROGRAM8550 (##77647268550) and press Send)
    • Type in 000000
    • Select "Network Select"
    • Select "Mode Preference"
    • Switch to 1x only
    • Press end (phone may power cycle)
    Ringtones and Wallpapers:
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Howto for ringtones and wallpapers on Chocolate (vx8500) pics included.

Chocolate Alarm:

[From Boxden Slum]
    If you want to use one of the three normal alarms:
    • slide open the chocolate
    • press the “Down” side button to turn down the master volume to “alarm only” before go to bed. Even if some one called the phone will not ring (remember to turn it back to normal when you get up).
    If you want to use music alarm, the method above will automatically mute the music player. So you need another way. Don’t change the master volume, instead:
    • open music player by playing a song
    • tap the right soft key for “Options”,
    • choose “Music Only” and turn it on.
    • While the song is playing, make sure the volume is as desired.
    • Now your phone is in music only mode, and you can set the music alarm and awake with your favorite rhythms (Note: The manual said the alarm will not work in Music Only or Standalone Mode, which is not true for music alarm).
    Free WAP:
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Tutorial: Free WAP on Chocolate

› See More: Chocolate Tips and Hacks
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  2. Audi S4 turbo

Audi S4 turbo New Member

Whats the purpose of turning off Ed-Vo. Would there be any benefit of keeping it?
  3. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

As stated, by turning off Ev-Do, it will save your battery life. This is a good practice if you have no plans on buying the Ev-Do package, or it's not available in your area yet.

One note though; remember how you did it in case you ever need to turn it back on.
  4. Go Leafs GO!!!

Go Leafs GO!!! New Member

what does ev-do mean
    ????????????????????????????????????????????
  5. paulcman

paulcman New Member

EV-DO is the data side of Verizon's network. It is how your phones access V-Cast, Mobile Web 2.0, and any other features you may enjoy. It is also how smartphones and aircards access the internet.

Likewise, 1XRTT (1X) is the voice side of the network.
  6. Go Leafs GO!!!

Go Leafs GO!!! New Member

i wouldn't know i don't live in the us i'm in canada and we don't have verizon here
  7. hunter3705

hunter3705 New Member

If you turn off the EV-DO, can you still send text and picture messages? And can you still download ringtones?
  8. TungstenIHC

TungstenIHC New Member

You CAN access the Mobile Web via 1x but it is alot slower than EV-DO. If you want to download something from the GetItNow feature make sure the EV-DO is on or it will take forever to download.

Yes! :)
  9. TungstenIHC

TungstenIHC New Member

Here is how to access ALL the apps DIRECTLY through the BREW app manager.
    1. Go to Menu and press 0 then enter 000000 for the access code
    2. Go to GetItNow settings (9)
    3. Go to GetItNow (16)
    Enjoy!
    The checkbox is the settings section and the ? is the help section.
  10. jdeg

Edited to add step to turn off EV-DO for the 8550
  11. tinkerkell

tinkerkell New Member

Hi!! I'm a brand new Chocolate owner and I have the 8550. How would this hack help me? Also, just typing in 0 doesn't seem to do anything on the 8550, can I use the ##PROGRAM8550 to get to this menu?

I would like to have the ability to access more games through my phone, if possible. I have an Easypay account linked to the phone and unfortunately the games are somewhat limited compared to what is available for the chocolate with post-paid plans.

Thanks! ;)
  12. TungstenIHC

TungstenIHC New Member

i don't know how its helpful but i think it allows you to tweak more things and yes you have to do the ##program8550
  13. tinkerkell

tinkerkell New Member

Thanks for responding TungstenIHC!!!

Has anyone played around with the menu options in the service menu for Get It Now? Can everything that is changed be restored to the original settings?

Also, has anyone heard of Verizon having different apps available for post-paid and pre-paid, even on the same phone?!? I'm trying to download Zuma. It's not available in the prepay menu for get it now for the chocolate, and I know that it's available on the phone. It's not a game that's limited to post-paid because my Krzr is also on a prepaid account and I have access to a bunch more games!

Any help is appreciated :)
  14. jdeg

Just wondering if you figured this out...
  15. tinkerkell

tinkerkell New Member

Nah, I never found a way-- I ended up switching my plan to a post-pay account and can get anything, but Verizon told me that once the phone is on their network longer than 6 months more content becomes available. I'm not too sure how true that is, but from my experience with other phones this is for the most part true.
  16. blackspot007

blackspot007 New Member

I have an 8550. It will not allow me to go to Get It Now #16. Any help?
  17. Manta

Manta New Member

Hey Guys,

I'm having similar issue. I am able to get into the "hidden" menu but none of the settings in editable and there is no #16.

Any ideas what am I missing?

Thanks
  18. Deraj2489

Deraj2489 New Member

Is there a way to set the Chocklate's clock to military time? I do have a bluetooth conection to my laptop if that makes it at all simpler?
  19. SpeedFerret

SpeedFerret New Member

I'm just a dumb newbie.....but could somebody please tell me the real advantage to turning off EVDO?
  20. Mike Fitz

Mike Fitz New Member

Ok well I changed to the 1x setting by turning of EVDO, but then I couldnt send or receive texts, so I turned it back, and I still cant... Im so lost, and kind of pissed if my phone wont start working.

Please help

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?