1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

How-to Connect your PC to the internet via your LG Voyager cell phone (tethering)

Discussion in 'LG Voyager' started by WiredNot, Aug 29, 2009.

1. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

How to connect your PC to the internet using the Verizon 1xRTT
    and EV-DO networks via a tethered LG Voyager cell phone

I apologize for the length of this post but this topic requires a lot of explanation. The information it contains can be located elsewhere on the internet in various forums and it can be confusing for beginners. That's why I've tried to bring most of it together in this one post so you'll have all the information you need here to connect a PC to the internet via a Voyager cell phone. But before we launch into the procedures involved, we need to discuss some important ramifications...

Introduction
    It is possible to connect your PC to the internet via your Voyager cell phone. This is best accomplished while the phone is "tethered" to the PC via its USB cable. It can also be accomplished wirelessly by "tethering" your phone to your PC via bluetooth but this will slow the connection and so it won't be addressed in this topic. (Plus, I've never used a bluetooth connection for this.) Besides, tethering your Voyager to your PC via your phone's USB cable has the added advantage of charging your phone's battery at the same time that it is being used as a modem.

In order to connect your PC to the internet through your Voyager, your Voyager must appear as a dial-up modem to your computer. Once this is done, there are two very different ways that you can connect to the internet. Each one offers different performance, plan requirements and costs. That's right: in spite of what you may have heard elsewhere, it is NOT free.

1xRTT connection via the Verizon Wireless voice network and a traditional ISP
    You can call a traditional internet service provider (ISP) like AOL, Earthlink, PeoplePC, etc., and connect to the internet via their service. You'll need to subscribe to the ISP's dial-up service for this. When your PC calls the ISP dial-up service through your Voyager (acting as a modem) your connection will be routed through the Verizon Wireless' 1xRTT voice cellular network and it will appear as a standard out-of-network call to their system the same as if you call a friend who doesn't have a Verizon Wireless phone. The connection will consume your anytime minutes the same as a regular voice call unless you call late at night or on the weekend during the off-peak time. It may (I'm not sure) also detect that your call is a "data call" over the voice network and, if you do not have a data plan, Verizon may charge you for the bandwidth you use based on how many KB (kilobytes) are downloaded through your Voyager.

Because you are using the 1xRTT voice network and because you are connecting via your ISP's dial-up modem, the actual speed of the connection will be relatively slow. I used www.speedtest.net to test a connection through PeoplePC and it measured a slooow 11.7 Kbps (kilobits per second) for downloads and my phone had a signal strength of 3-4 bars during the test. The latency was also poor at 1444 ms (milliseconds) which is almost one and a half seconds!

To put this in perspective, if I use my US Robotics 56K modem and connect via the same PeoplePC number, I get a measured download speed of 25.0 Kbps and have a latency of only 216 ms (about two tenths of a second). This is still slow but it is more than twice as fast as using the Verizion 1xRTT voice network to connect and it has one sixth the latency. (Note: I live in a rural area far away from the closest telephone switching station.)

Because of its slow speed, I do not recommend using this method except for very "light" tasks like downloading text email. It will bog down if you attempt to download html email, email with attachments, or if you attempt to surf internet websites. If you have a data service in your contract, then you're probably better off using Verizon's Mobile Email application and downloading text email directly to your phone.

EV-DO (3G) or 1xRTT (2G) connection via the Verizon Wireless data network
    This is the fastest connection you can get via your Voyager and this is what most people who tether their Voyager to a PC want to use. Your PC will connect to the internet directly through the Verizon Wireless data network using a special #777 access code. Normally, this will be over the EV-DO (3G) network if it is available and it will appear as a data connection to their system. If the 3G network is not available (your "EV" signal strength is low or you are in an area without EV-DO coverage) then your Voyager will attempt to establish the connection through the 1xRTT extended data network (2G). The latter won't be as fast as the EV-DO (3G) network but it will still be much faster than using the 1xRTT voice network with a traditional dial-up ISP as described above. In either case, your connection will appear as a data connection to Verizon Wireless and you WILL be billed accordingly. This is VERY important because it can get very expensive very fast if you don't have an appropriate data plan. You can NOT get a data connection for free---Verizon will detect your connection. And even if you could find a way to connect to the data network without detection, you would be stealing bandwidth from Verizon and that is illegal.

I tested the speed of a EV-DO (3G) connection and measured a download speed of 933.3 Kbps. That's almost 1.0 Mbps and my Voyager had an "EV" signal strength of 3-4 bars during the test. The latency was a modest 238 ms. I repeated the same test outside the EV-DO coverage area and my Voyager connected to the 1xRTT Extended Network with a measured download speed of 129.6 Kbps and a latency of 1147 ms. The "1X" signal strength was 3-4 bars during the second test.

To put this in perspective, my WildBlue satellite internet connection measures 518.5 Kbps for downloads and has a latency of 1295 ms. (Again, I live in a rural area and a true high-speed cable modem or DSL connection is not available.)

The current Verizon Wireless policy requires you to subscribe to a Mobile Broadband Connect plan in order to legally connect to the internet over its 3G or 2G data networks from a PC via your tethered Voyager phone. Why? Because your PC will typically consume much more bandwidth than your Voyager phone will by itself. If you don't subscribe to a Mobile Broadband Connect plan, then you'll violate your original Terms of Service (TOS) agreement and Verizon could take appropriate action.

The cost of a Mobile Broadband Connect plan varies depending on what data services you are already subscribed to. For example, if you already have either a Nationwide Connect plan or a Nationwide Premium plan, you already have an "unlimited" data component for your phone when used by itself. It allows you to connect to browse the internet with your phone. In this case Verizon will require $30 more per month to add the Mobile Broadband Connect option to pay for the increased bandwidth you will likely consume with your PC. However, if you do not presently have a data plan (all you subscribe to now is a voice plan---and unlimited texting does not count as "data") then you will have to pay $50 for the Mobile Broadband Connect plan. (These prices are from August 2009.)

The worse thing you could do is connect your PC to the internet over Verizon's data network via your Voyager with NO data plan of any kind. You'll be billed at a high per KB rate and you can expect to receive a very expensive bill. For details of the Mobile Broadband Connect plans, see the Verizon Wireless website here.

A note about connection speeds
    When you establish an internet connection through your tethered Voyager, your PC may report a false connection speed. This problem seems to vary depending on which version of the LG CDMA USB driver is installed on your computer. For example, driver 4.8.0 seems to always report 460.8 Kbps regardless whether your Voyager is connected to the fast EV-DO (3G) data network or the slow 1xRTT voice network to a tradional dial-up ISP. If you have driver 4.9.4, your computer will probably report a connection speed of 7.2 Mbps. I think that the computer is seeing the speed that it is able to communicate with the Voyager over the USB cable and thinks this is the "connection speed" to the internet when it really connects to the internet at a much slower speed. If you want to know what your true internet connection speed is, you'll need to test it with one of the websites that provide this service for free like www.speedtest.net or www.testmy.net or Internet Performance and Speed Test.

The meaning of "unlimited" data
    I have a Nationwide Connect plan which includes "unlimited" data. This means I can connect to the internet with my Voyager and use its built-in web browser to surf the internet without it consuming any of my anytime minutes and without a per KB fee. That's what Verizon means by "unlimited". But it does NOT mean that I get unlimited megabytes. If I was to view videos from YouTube around the clock every day, my data usage would be high and Verizon would eventuallty intervene and ask me to cut back or take other action if I did not. They do not want a few users to "hog" the bandwidth and cause problems for the rest of their users. So all "unlimited" data means is that you are not charged per minute or per KB as long as your usage is not excessive.

The same is true for the Mobile Broadband Connect plan. But in the case of the Mobile Broadband Connect plans, the likelyhood of excessive use is much greater since you'll be connecting your PC to your Voyager and so Verizon is much more open about what their limits are. You are allowed up to 5 GB (5120 MB) per month. If you exceed this data usage in a month, you may be billed for the excess at $0.05/MB (5 cents per megabyte) and/or your service may be terminated. The rate may rise to $0.10/MB (10 cents per megabyte) if you exceed the 5 GB limit by 250 MB or more.

Enabling the modem function of your Voyager
    Verizon provides its VZAccess Manager software (VZAccess Manager) to manage your phone's use as a modem and to provide connectivity with some office applications. However, the VZAccess Manager software is not required to establish an internet connection. A tethered connection can be created manually without it and this topic will explain how in a step-by-step fashion.

WARNING: Manually enabling your Voyager to serve as a modem will require you to use its hidden Service menu. This menu is only intended for Verizon employees. Using it may void your warranty and violate the terms of service (TOS) of your contract. Plus, the Service menu provides access to settings that, if configured incorrectly, could render your Voyager unusable. Do NOT use the enclosed setup procedures if you are not willing to assume all risks, yourself. I can NOT assume ANY liability if you take action that damages your phone and/or violates your warranty or contract. The following information is provided only for informational purposes to educate you as to what is possible for an authorized Verizon employee to do for you.

--------------------​
    Now for the procedures...
    Prepare your LG Voyager phone
    • Set Sync Mode to Data
    1. Open your phone and use the qwerty keypad for the following steps:
    2. Press the "OK" button and launch the Settings & Tools menu.
    3. Select "9. USB Auto Detection".
    4. Select "Sync Data".
    5. Press the "Pwr/End" button to exit the Settings & Tools menu.
    • Set the Modem Dial-up Restrictions to Allow All
    2. Press the "OK" button and launch the Settings & Tools menu.
    3. Select "6. Phone Settings".
    4. Select "6. Security".
    5. Enter your general password if prompted to do so. If you've never set your password, the default password is the last four digits of your telephone number.
    6. Select "2. Restrictions".
    7. Depending on the security configuration of your phone, you may be prompted for a second password. This is your restrictions password. If you've never set it before, it should also be the last four digits of your telephone number.
    8. Select "4. Dial-up Modem".
    9. Select "Allow All".
    10. Press the "Pwr/End" button to exit the Settings & Tools menu.
    Why two passwords? The restrictions password is intended for things like parental control. For example, you can configure the Voyager so it can't make any outgoing calls or send any outgoing text messages. Or you can restrict it so calls and messages can only be sent to people in the contacts list. You can similarly restrict incoming calls and messages. The general password is for all users of the phone so they can lock it and prevent a stranger from using it. But the general password won't let you change any of the "restriction" settings. Also, when the phone is locked with the general password, anyone can still use the phone for an emergency call to any of the numbers in your ICE list.
    • Enable tethered DUN (dial-up network) operation
    This is how the modem function of your Voyager is enabled manually. It only has to be done once. The steps highlighted in red should only be performed by an authorized Verizon employee.
    2. Type: ##program10000 (it will appear as ##776472610000 on the screen).
      [*]Enter service code: 000000
      [*]The Services menu will appear.
      [*]Select "4. Data".
      [*]Select "1. MIP Setting".
      [*]Select "8. NAI Setting".
      [*]Select "4. MIP DUN NAI".
      [*]Change the text from [yourphonenumber]@dun.vzw3g.com to [yourphonenumber]@vzw3g.com. (In other words, use the left arrow of the navigation pad to move the cursor to the beginning of "vzw3g" and use the "CLR" button to backspace over "dun." deleting it.)
      [*]Press the "OK" button to save the changes.
    3. Press the "Pwr/End" button to exit the Service menu.
    Prepare your PC
    • Install the LG CDMA USB driver for the Voyager cell phone
    1. Insert the "V-Cast Music with Rhapsody" CD that came with your phone.
    2. Install the USB driver for the Voyager. Note: You do NOT need to install V-Cast or Rhapsody.
    Most of the CDs shipped since January 2009 have version 4.8.0 of the driver. The latest version at the time of this post is 4.9.4 and you can find links to it elsewhere in this and other forums. Here is one link. It is best if you use the latest driver because it will often have fewer "bugs" and it supports higher connection speeds.
    Connect your Voyager to your PC
    1. With your Voyager turned on, connect its USB cable to the phone's USB/power connector.
    2. Connect the other end of the USB cable to a USB port on your PC. If the USB port is powered, the phone's battery indicator should show that the phone is being charged. Note: Your phone will be charged while you continue to use it.
    How to create a 1xRTT connection to the internet over the voice network
    • Create a new dial-up connection (Windows XP)
    1. From the Windows Start menu select "Connect To > Show all connections".
    2. The Network Connections window will appear.
    3. Select "Create a new connection" in the sidebar on the left.
    4. The Windows XP New Connection Wizard will appear.
    5. Click on the "Next" button.
    6. Select "Connect to the Internet" and click the "Next" button.
    7. Select "Set up my connection manually" and click on the "Next" button.
    8. Select "Connect using a dial-up modem" and click on the "Next" button.
    9. Select "Modem - LGE CDMA USB Modem (COM#)" and click on the "Next" button. Notes: This is your Voyager cell phone. If other modems are listed, make sure they are unchecked.
    10. Enter an ISP Name for the connection and click on the "Next" button. This is the label that will appear for this connection. For example, enter "Verizon Wireless Voice Network".
    11. Enter the Phone number and click the "Next" button. This should be the phone number provided by your ISP for obtaining an internet connection with a standard modem.
    12. Enter the User name and Password required by your ISP.
    13. Set the "Use this account name and password when anyone connects to the Internet from this computer" checkbox according to your preference.
    14. Uncheck "Make this the default Internet connection" unless this is the ONLY way that you will connect your PC to the internet.
    15. Click on the "Next" button.
    16. Click on the "Finish" button to close the New Connection Wizard.
    17. From the Windows Start menu select "Connect To > Verizon Wireless Voice Network" (or whatever name you gave the connection) to connect to the internet.
    18. The display of your Voyager should indicate "DATA CALL" to show that it is connected and you should see the connection on your PC (a network icon should appear in the tray of the Windows XP taskbar).
    How to create an EV-DO / 1xRTT connection to the internet over the data network
    • Create a new dial-up connection (Windows XP)
    1. From the Windows Start menu select "Connect To > Show all connections".
    2. The Network Connections window will appear.
    3. Select "Create a new connection" in the sidebar on the left.
    4. The Windows XP New Connection Wizard will appear.
    5. Click on the "Next" button.
    6. Select "Connect to the Internet" and click the "Next" button.
    7. Select "Set up my connection manually" and click on the "Next" button.
    8. Select "Connect using a dial-up modem" and click on the "Next" button.
    9. Select "Modem - LGE CDMA USB Modem (COM#)" and click on the "Next" button. Notes: This is your Voyager cell phone. If other modems are listed, make sure they are unchecked.
    10. Enter an ISP Name for the connection and click on the "Next" button. This is the label that will appear for this connection. For example, enter "Verizon Wireless Data Network".
    11. Enter the Phone number: #777 and click the "Next" button.
    12. Leave the User name and Password blank (your Voyager phone will provide the necessary information automatically.
    13. Set the "Use this account name and password when anyone connects to the Internet from this computer" checkbox according to your preference.
    14. Uncheck "Make this the default Internet connection" unless this is the ONLY way that you will connect your PC to the internet.
    15. Click on the "Next" button.
    16. Click on the "Finish" button to close the New Connection Wizard.
    17. From the Windows Start menu select "Connect To > Verizon Wireless Data Network" (or whatever name you gave the connection) to connect to the internet.
    18. The display of your Voyager should indicate that it is connected. It will usually display "3G 1X OR EV DATA" when it is connected to the 3G data network or "1X Extended Network" when it is connected to the 2G data network. It will also display "Dormant" when no data is being transmitted. You should also see the connection on your PC (a network icon should appear in the tray of the Windows XP taskbar).
    How to end a dial-up connection (Windows XP)
    1. When you are finished, right-click on the network connection icon in the tray at the right end of the Windows XP taskbar.
    2. Select "Disconnect" from the popup menu.
    3. Your Voyager should indicate that the connection is no longer present.
    How to connect to the internet again using one of the above connections
    1. Simply connect your Voyager to your PC with its USB cable as described above.
    2. From the Windows Start menu select "Connect To > Verizon Wireless Voice Network" or "Connect To > Verizon Wireless Data Network" (or whatever name you gave the connection).
    That's it. I hope that you have all the information you need to fully understand the process and ramifications of tethering your Voyager to a PC for an internet connection. Plus you now know how an authorized Verizon employee can setup your Voyager for this purpose.
    Best regards, WiredNot

› See More: Connect your PC to the internet via your LG Voyager cell phone (tethering)
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
    2 people like this.
  2. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

Re: How to: Connect your PC to the internet via your LG Voyager cell phone

Stuck this! Thanks!

Think it would also work for the enV 3 and enV touch (with slightly modified instructions for the DUN connection)?
  3. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Re: How to: Connect your PC to the internet via your LG Voyager cell phone

Hi John,

Yes, I think it probably would work for those phones if you know how to launch their hidden Service menus. The big question would be whether or not LG provided those phones with a modem function inside their Brew operating systems like they did for the Voyager. I suspect that they probably did provide it since they are 3G phones and use basically the same operating system as the Voyager---only a newer version.

If LG still uses the same format for the Service menu access code for its new phones as it has in the past then it may simply be ##program plus the model number. All I have is a Voyager so I can't test it.

By the way, there's one more point I forgot to make in my original post. I've read other posts on this subject (including inside this forum) where accessing the hidden Service menu is referred to as "hacking". I believe this is a misuse of the term. In fact, I doubt that it even required any "hacking" to discover the code that launches the Service menu because these codes have been leaked for LG phones before and once you know a few of them, it's easy to guess others until LG chooses to use a totally different code format.

Once the code and procedure are known, it is not a matter of hacking but simply a matter of using the features provided by the phone manufacturer to fulfill their intended purpose. But I still want to caution readers that these Service menus are only intended for use by authorized Verizon employees. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that it is authorized under the TOS of your contract with Verizon Wireless.

Best regards, WiredNot
    1 person likes this.
  4. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

5. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Update: . In my original post I included "A note about connection speed" where I described how the connection speed reported by Windows was incorrect---it always reported 460.8 Kbps regardless of the actual connection speed between the Voyager and the internet.

I've since learned that this is either a bug or a limitation (I'm not sure which) in LG's version 4.8.0 CDMA USB driver for the Voyager. The latest version of LG's CDMA USB driver (version 4.9.4) reports a higher speed---it usually reports 7.2 Mbps for an EV-DO connection. This is still way faster than the actual internet connection and it seems to result from the newer driver's ability to connect to the Voyager at a higher speed. But the only sure way to know your true internet speed is to test it with one of the websites listed in my original post above. (Note: I've updated my original post regarding this issue.)

If you decide to update your LG CDMA USB driver, you'll need to remove the old one before you install the new one. The old one can be removed with the Add/Remove applet in the Windows Control Panel (Windows XP).

Here's how you can check to see what version USB driver you have (Windows XP). With your phone connected to your computer and turned on do the following:
    • Launch the Windows Control Panel (Start > Control Panel).
    • Double-click on the "System" applet to launch it.
    • Select the "Hardware" tab.
    • Click on the "Device Manager" button to launch the Device Manager.
    • Click on "[+]" next "Modem" to expand the Modem list.
    • Double-click on "LG CDMA USB Modem" to open its Properties dialog.
    • Select the "Driver" tab.
    • The Driver Version is listed as the third item. If you have version 4.8.0 it will say "4.8.0.0". If you have version 4.9.4 it will way "4.9.4.0". Et cetera.
    Best regards, WiredNot
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  6. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Hello again,

I added the Mobile Broadband Connect option to my Verizon Wireless contract and have been using my tethered Voyager for my primary internet connection for a few days now. It seems significantly faster than my WildBlue satellite service. In fact, I liked the Verizon data network connection enough that I cancelled my satellite service.

Now that I've "lived" with a tethered Voyager for a while, I've learned a few things about it. I'll post my observations here. You might want to check this post from time to time because I'll update it as I learn more or have something related to add. That way all of my observations will be in one place and easy to find.

Dormant mode -- The Voyager's modem program has a built-in "dormant mode" that may appear confusing at first. Here's how it works:
    1. You connect to the Verizon data network and thence to the internet and your Voyager displays a connection screen with information about your connection, its duration and a bar graph for the receive (RX) signal and transmit (TX) signal.
    2. When the phone detects a period of no signal activity, it disconnects from the Verizon data network. When it does this, it first displays a brief message telling how many bytes have been received and transmitted and the total usage at the bottom. Sadly, this message flashes by so quickly that you don't have time to read it. Then the display returns to your standard phone desktop with your background image, etc., and the word "DORMANT" across it to let you know that you have an active data connection that has gone dormant.
    3. As soon as the phone detects another signal, it quickly reconnects to the Verizon data network, displays the connection screen and continues to communicate as if nothing had happened.
    The speed with which this happens is very fast and you can expect to see your Voyager's display rapidly change many times in a single minute, depending on the continuity of your signal flow. For example, it won't happen much while your PC is downloading a webpage to view. But after the page is visible and you begin to read it, there won't be much signal activity and the phone will cycle in and out of its dormant mode. As soon as you click on a link to jump to another page, the communication will look "normal" again.

Use the latest LG CDMA USB driver on your PC -- I seem to have fewer problems maintaining a connection and the connection seems a little faster since I upgraded my PC's LG USB driver for my Voyager from version 4.8.0 to 4.9.4.

Use the latest Voyager firmware -- There seem to be fewer problems maintaining a connection since I upgraded my Voyager firmware from v11 to v12. This relates to the next item below:

Reset the connection between your Voyager and PC when needed -- From time to time (it doesn't happen often) my Voyager appears to have a problem logging into the Verizon data network. It will dial, transmit its user and password information, but fail. A message will appear stating that the host computer did not respond or some such. The problem is not with the host computer at Verizon. Rather, it is either with (1) the communication between the Voyager and the PC or (2) the Voyager, itself. I'm not sure what happens but it seems to be in some sort of "funk" and it will continue to redial and fail, redial and fail until it has cycled through the number of "retries" that your Voyager is set for. There are three ways to correct the problem. The first way is to simply unplug the Voyager's USB cable from your PC, wait a half a minute and then plug it back in. This will reset the communication between your phone and PC and it will usually fix the problem. If that didn't help, the second step is to power down your Voyager and power it back up. If that still didn't help, then the third step is to power down your Voyager again AND shut down your computer. After you turn them both back on, they should work fine again. Note: I've never had to go as far as step three and, again, this problem does not happen often but it seems to happen less often since I upgraded my Voyager's firmware from v11 to v12.

Turn off your Voyager regularly -- In many ways, your Voyager phone is like a PC. It has an operating system (called "Brew") and various applications (programs). They share memory and other resources. And, like a PC, the operating system and applications were created by humans---which is to say they are not perfect. If you seldom turn off your Voyager, you may observe its performance slowly degrade over time like a PC. This may become more apparent if you use your Voyager regularly as a modem. For optimal performance, I recommend that you power down your phone at least once per week. I turn mine off every night before I go to sleep. I don't need it to wake me and if any calls or messages come while it is off, I'll see the alerts in the morning when I turn the phone back on.

Use your My Verizon account to monitor your data usage -- Remember that the Mobile Broadband Connect plan has a usage limit of 5 GB (5120 MB) per month. If you use the internet a lot like me, that may not seem like much. To keep track of your usage, use your My Verizon webpage to monitor your usage. Just click on the "Data" tab above your Minutes bargraph. Also remember that these usage indicators do not update in real-time---they will often lag by a day or more.

Use a bluetooth headset for calls while your Voyager is tethered to your PC -- Sadly, the Voyager is not designed for multitasking. It can usually do only one thing at a time. This has frustrated many users who want to listen to music at the same time as they text. Fortunately, the Voyager does provide its modem with the ability to temporarly suspend operation so you can take a call. As soon as the call is over, the modem resumes communication. I find that a bluetooth headset makes this much easier because I never have to touch the phone. Calls have priority and your Voyager will ring to let you know that you have an incoming call even while the phone is tethered to your PC and connected to the internet. When an incoming call rings, I simply answer with my headset (a Plantronics Discovery 925). When I do, the modem suspends operation automatically. When the call ends, the modem resumes. It works pretty well.

Best regards, WiredNot
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  7. hgbventure

hgbventure New Member

8. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Hello again,

This update discusses the use of a cell signal extender while my Voyager is tethered to my PC for internet access.

The coverage in my home is somewhat spotty. Some rooms are lucky to even get one bar. You have to pretty much stand near a window to get a good signal. Plus, I work a lot in my basement and, as you can imagine, the signal doesn't reach there.

So I use a cell signal extender. This is a device that boosts and repeats the cell signal, including both the receive and transmit signals. The way it works is this: You mount a cell antenna at a high point (in your attic or on your roof) where you can get a consistently good signal. Then you locate a cell signal amplifier lower down in your home. It picks up the good signal from your attic or roof and rebroadcasts it so you can receive a good signal throughout your home. The amplifier also receives the outgoing signal from your cell phone and feeds it up to the attic/roof antenna so it can get to the cell tower.

My cell signal extender is a zBoost YX510-PCS-CEL model that supports both the CDMA frequency bands used by Verizon and the manufacturer claims that it can simultaneously support multiple phones and that it can handle data communication as well as voice communication.

We'll my signal extender has been working really hard lately because we have two Voyagers in my family that are tethered to PCs for internet connection a lot now. The cell signal extender has worked very well. I can get a good connection even in my basement and I notice no slowdown in performance of any kind.

I wasn't sure whether or not these devices could really handle heavy data traffic and the answer is: they can.

Best regards, WiredNot
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  9. proinfo

proinfo New Member

WiredNot - I read your post - thanks for your time and effort - My interest is in sending a FAX - I have a copy of ProFax that I used when I had a land line to connect to my laptop - using my LG Voyager ( tethered ) will I beable to connect and send a FAX ???
  10. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Hi proinfo,

I'm not familiar with ProFax but if I think you may run into problems if you're trying to connect directly to the receiving fax machine.

You need to remember that there are two networks that your tethered LG Voyager can use: (1) the data network and (2) the voice network.

If ProFax is an internet-based service---for example, you send your fax via the internet to a service and then they relay the facsimile via a normal telephone connection to the receiving fax---then there should be no problem because you can use the data network. You would be connecting your tethered LG Voyager to the internet.

If you want to connect directly to the receiving fax machine, then you would have to use the voice network and use your LG Voyager like a traditional fax modem to dial directly to the receiving fax machine. My original post describes how to connect to the 1xRTT voice network but I don't know if the LG Voyager can serve as a fax modem. It's Windows driver will have to support it and I don't remember seeing this capability. Plus, even if it did, it would probably be very slow (due to data conversion over the voice network) and this may cause timeout problems with the receiving fax.

If you try it, please let us know if it works and how well it works.

Best regards, WiredNot
  11. Sell Online

Sell Online New Member

they look the same to me

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?