1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Consumer Reports (was:Current state of cellular?

Discussion in 'alt.cellular.verizon' started by Larry Levitan, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. "Baylorr" wrote...
    > Even at the base of the Hatteras Lighthouse the Alltel service is great.

    A
    > year ago there was none at that place.


    Perhaps that's how they subsidized the cost of moving it--by leasing it as a
    cell site. (grin).

    -Paul-
    Raleigh NC



    › See More: Consumer Reports (was:Current state of cellular?
  2. "Baylorr" <baylorr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<LpHLb.887$i4.529@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
    > Even at the base of the Hatteras Lighthouse the Alltel service is great. A
    > year ago there was none at that place.


    What about Verizon's service there?

    *Michael Notforyou*
  3. On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:54:17 GMT, O/Siris <0sîrîs@sprîntpcs.côm>
    wrote:

    >This one is aimed at Europe, but I've always considered it
    >among the best discussions on this:
    >
    >http://www.denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/10/GSM3G.shtml


    He is a well known CDMA fanatic and the article is full of biased
    misinformation. It's also rather outdated.


    /Marcus

    --
    Marcus AAkesson marcus.akesson@NO_SPAM_PLEASE_home.se
    Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779
    Sweden
    >>>>>> Keep the world clean - no HTML in news or mail ! <<<<<<
  4. I found it very informative and dovetails with other things I've read about
    Qualcomm. He believes as I do that GSM only got so big because it was
    initially mandated by law in Europe. Now, they are backpedaling and trying
    to bring the CDMA overlay in, but can't because it is 'illegal'.
    Out-of-date? I'd say it is still very accurate to the current scene (which
    he saw 16 months ago).

    Chris

    "Marcus AAkesson" <marcus.akesson@NO_SPAM_PLEASE_home.se> wrote in message
    news:ruv300dp3n0k98l1pmvtuhmdi0h250v81a@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:54:17 GMT, O/Siris <0sîrîs@sprîntpcs.côm>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >This one is aimed at Europe, but I've always considered it
    > >among the best discussions on this:
    > >
    > >http://www.denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/10/GSM3G.shtml

    >
    > He is a well known CDMA fanatic and the article is full of biased
    > misinformation. It's also rather outdated.
    >
    >
    > /Marcus
    >
    > --
    > Marcus AAkesson marcus.akesson@NO_SPAM_PLEASE_home.se
    > Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779
    > Sweden
    > >>>>>> Keep the world clean - no HTML in news or mail ! <<<<<<
  5. In alt.cellular Marcus AAkesson <marcus.akesson@no_spam_please_home.se> wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:54:17 GMT, O/Siris <0s?r?s@spr?ntpcs.c?m>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>This one is aimed at Europe, but I've always considered it
    >>among the best discussions on this:
    >>
    >>http://www.denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2002/10/GSM3G.shtml

    >
    > He is a well known CDMA fanatic and the article is full of biased
    > misinformation. It's also rather outdated.


    He used to work for Qualcomm, I forget in what capacity (software engineer?)

    >
    > /Marcus
    >


    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services
    22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950
    Steve Sobol, Geek In Charge * 888.480.4NET (4638) * sjsobol@JustThe.net
  6. David S

    David S Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 14:48:17 -0800, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NOcom> chose
    to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    >On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:45:30 -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse
    ><veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 07:36:44 -0800, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NOcom>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:58:34 -0500, Larry Levitan
    >>><levitan@notmyisp.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Did you know verizon is still the number rated carrier?
    >>>>
    >>>>Did you know T-Mobile is the worst rated carrier?
    >>>>
    >>>>Do you know which phone is rated the best?
    >>>>
    >>>>If you really want to know which carrier is the best rated,
    >>>>has the least amount of dropped calls, and look at an overview
    >>>>of the service plans, buy the current edition of Consumer Reports.
    >>>>They conducted a protracted investigation (about 12 pages) of
    >>>>all the major carriers -- in various cities. You'll be surprised!
    >>>
    >>>How about something to verify your claims?

    >>
    >>Uhm .. he did verify his claims. He said there was about a 12 page
    >>spread in Consumer Reports which says what he posted. Go look and
    >>report back if it is inaccurate.

    >
    >Sorry Tomtom but I ain't gonna subscribe to CR just to see their
    >claims.


    Fine, but all *he* claimed was that CR published the article, a fact which
    has also been widely reported on TV (usually with a summary of the
    article).

    --
    David Streeter, "an internet god" -- Dave Barry
    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    Expect a train on ANY track at ANY time.
    "Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
    - Paul Rodriguez
  7. Carl.

    Carl. Guest

    "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NOcom> wrote in message
    news:vfnrvvcd7goscuvqefp300nk3980kqvosg@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:45:30 -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse
    > <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 07:36:44 -0800, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NOcom>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:58:34 -0500, Larry Levitan
    > >><levitan@notmyisp.com> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>Did you know verizon is still the number rated carrier?
    > >>>
    > >>>Did you know T-Mobile is the worst rated carrier?
    > >>>
    > >>>Do you know which phone is rated the best?
    > >>>
    > >>>If you really want to know which carrier is the best rated,
    > >>>has the least amount of dropped calls, and look at an overview
    > >>>of the service plans, buy the current edition of Consumer Reports.
    > >>>They conducted a protracted investigation (about 12 pages) of
    > >>>all the major carriers -- in various cities. You'll be surprised!
    > >>
    > >>How about something to verify your claims?
    > >>
    > >>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > >> remove NO from .NOcom to reply

    > >
    > >
    > >Uhm .. he did verify his claims. He said there was about a 12 page
    > >spread in Consumer Reports which says what he posted. Go look and
    > >report back if it is inaccurate.
    > >
    > >
    > >Tom Veldhouse

    >
    > Sorry Tomtom but I ain't gonna subscribe to CR just to see their
    > claims.


    You don't have to. Go to a library and look for it. They will let you look
    for free, and probably photocopy it for a few of those round shiny silver
    pieces.


    ---
    Update your PC at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.560 / Virus Database: 352 - Release Date: 1/9/2004
  8. O/Siris

    O/Siris Guest

    In article <ruv300dp3n0k98l1pmvtuhmdi0h250v81a@4ax.com>,=20
    Marcus AAkessonmarcus.akesson@NO_SPAM_PLEASE_home.se=20
    says...
    > He is a well known CDMA fanatic and the article is full of biased
    > misinformation. It's also rather outdated.=20
    >=20


    By all means, fill me in on what's wrong.

    --=20
    -+-
    R=D8=DF
    O/Siris
    I work for SprintPCS
    I *don't* speak for them.
  9. "Scott" <//nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    news:KE4Lb.4928$TR6.3496@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
    > First, take Consumer Reports recommendations with a grain of salt. Sure
    > they do provide a service, but when it comes to high tech stuff I think
    > their analysis usually falls short.


    The survey results on coverage, capacity, voice-quality, and dropped calls,
    are what they are, the results of their survey of 31,000 of their
    subscribers, from subscribers that chose to respond, no analysis there.

    They do mention the fact that Verizon may be the best option, hard to
    dispute that since Verizon was the top rated carrier in all twelve
    metropolitan areas that they surveyed.

    Their handset ratings are incomplete and fairly useless. In that sense you
    are correct about their analysis being flawed.

    Few surprises in the survey results, at least in the geographic areas I'm
    familiar with. I was surprised that AT&T fell to last place in Southern
    California and New York City; being worse than Cingular in California is a
    difficult accomplishment.

    We're not talking close races here. In 11 of the 12 cities surveyed, Verizon
    was at least 5 points ahead of the 2nd place carrier; in San Francisco and
    New York it was 9 points better.

    You want analysis? Here's mine. The dramatic decline of AT&T was due to
    their conversion to GSM, especially since they initially deployed GSM only
    at 1900 Mhz. As 800 Mhz bandwidth is converted from TDMA to GSM, and as dual
    band GSM handsets become more widely used, Verizon's lead will narrow in
    many cities (if the GSM carrier has 800 Mhz bandwidth of course). The
    Consumer Reports article includes a sidebar "Trouble in the GSM network."
    Alas, they should have published this a year ago, before millions of people
    got stuck with GSM service in a two year contract.
  10. jeff

    jeff Guest

    In article <TK4Ob.14153$zj7.2465@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:
    >"Scott" <//nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >news:KE4Lb.4928$TR6.3496@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
    >> First, take Consumer Reports recommendations with a grain of salt. Sure
    >> they do provide a service, but when it comes to high tech stuff I think
    >> their analysis usually falls short.

    >
    >The survey results on coverage, capacity, voice-quality, and dropped calls,
    >are what they are, the results of their survey of 31,000 of their
    >subscribers, from subscribers that chose to respond, no analysis there.
    >
    >They do mention the fact that Verizon may be the best option, hard to
    >dispute that since Verizon was the top rated carrier in all twelve
    >metropolitan areas that they surveyed.
    >
    >Their handset ratings are incomplete and fairly useless. In that sense you
    >are correct about their analysis being flawed.
    >
    >Few surprises in the survey results, at least in the geographic areas I'm
    >familiar with. I was surprised that AT&T fell to last place in Southern
    >California and New York City; being worse than Cingular in California is a
    >difficult accomplishment.
    >
    >We're not talking close races here. In 11 of the 12 cities surveyed, Verizon
    >was at least 5 points ahead of the 2nd place carrier; in San Francisco and
    >New York it was 9 points better.
    >
    >You want analysis? Here's mine. The dramatic decline of AT&T was due to
    >their conversion to GSM, especially since they initially deployed GSM only
    >at 1900 Mhz. As 800 Mhz bandwidth is converted from TDMA to GSM, and as dual
    >band GSM handsets become more widely used, Verizon's lead will narrow in
    >many cities (if the GSM carrier has 800 Mhz bandwidth of course). The
    >Consumer Reports article includes a sidebar "Trouble in the GSM network."
    >Alas, they should have published this a year ago, before millions of people
    >got stuck with GSM service in a two year contract.
    >
    >When will CR FEB issue hit newstands? MY local Borders,Band N and Books a Mill have no idea like CR sends them when they send them.


    trido
  11. Al Klein

    Al Klein Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 06:37:39 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
    <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> posted in alt.cellular.verizon:

    >Few surprises in the survey results, at least in the geographic areas I'm
    >familiar with. I was surprised that AT&T fell to last place in Southern
    >California and New York City; being worse than Cingular in California is a
    >difficult accomplishment.


    Having a 10-mile-diameter hole in a major metro area (AT&T NY metro)
    doesn't win first place.
  12. Joseph

    Joseph Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:14:33 GMT, jeff@scanevansville.us (jeff) wrote:

    >trido


    Thanks for your one word response to several entire articles. Good
    job!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    remove NO from .NOcom to reply

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.


Forgot your password?