1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Curious about ex-Alltel customers and Verizon. Thoughts on value, and WFM

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by maximuslyricus, Jun 18, 2011.

1. maximuslyricus

maximuslyricus New Member

I would really like to know the retention rate by Verizon of former Alltel customers they acquired during the Verizon-Alltel merger. Specifically, I would like to know how many previous Alltel customers jumped ship when their contract period ended. Moreover, it would be interesting to know the percentages of how many of these drafted Verizon customers have actually signed new Verizon contracts, or are still under their Alltel contract on a month to month basis. There is absolutely no information presently on the Internet about this perspective of the post Verizon-Alltel merger effects (which is a possible opportunity for a wireless industry writer).

Anyway, as a former Alltel customer myself, I have gleaned from scant information on the Web that I will be able to keep the conditions of my Alltel contract indefinitely on a month to month basis as long as I don't make any changes. From my only other thread in this forum that I wrote a couple of years ago, I explained that Friends and Family is more expensive than the old My Circle plans with Alltel. Basically, Verizon's entire service was/is more expensive than Alltel. Of course I guess that there is an argument that the service is superior to what Alltel offered, but, to be honest, when the dust settled I received the same quality of service that I had under Alltel (except as of late, it seems Verizon's service getting a little spotty with dropped calls).

I would have hoped that after two years that the wireless industry landscape had profoundly changed to the benefit of value driven, no-frills customers like me, but it really hasn't. Verizon and AT&T are pushing expensive smartphones and data plans to the detriment of customers and families who don't want to---or can't---pay their relatively high prices for telephone data services, plus Verizon really does "dumb down" and handcuff their basic phones to the point where customers can't even upload a ringtone or mp3 via a cable, much less bluetooth or Wifi (which is pretty much nonexistent now without a smartphone/data plan). Companies like Cricket, Metro PCS, and Boost Mobile are making strides, but not nearly as fast as I would have liked. That leaves me with basically staying on my "lame duck" contract which is basically a limited talk-only/text-a-little, behind the times Alltel contract, albeit with the nation's largest and most reliable network. But, maybe not [enter Walmart Family Mobile].

As a former Alltel, involuntarily devoured Verizon customer, I was quite pleased to see that the new Big Blue---Wally World---has a plan that has seemingly fallen down like manna from heaven. Though it has existed going on a year, I suppose that Walmart recently thought that it might be good to start advertising the Walmart Family Mobile service on TV (caught it during the NBA finals). Walmart has its own branded service powered by T-mobile, and I am sure that it's giving us ex-Alltel people something to think about, especially those that don't use exorbitant amounts of data. Of course T-mo is in the process of being devoured by AT&T, but, knowing Walmart, I am thinking that Walmart Family Mobile will still be around once the dust settles. In the meantime, I may take the plunge and end my service with Verizon for greener pastures---fields of gold that are more reminiscent of my time with Alltel. Yes, I have a love-hate relationship with Verizon because I don't feel that Verizon ever really got to know me, and customers like me. They have an outstanding network and great service (as did Alltel), but still fail to appreciate the fact that Alltel customers were driven by value, so it seems like they could have done more---and still could--to close the money gap between what I was receiveing with Alltel and what I'd have to pay to offically re-up with Verizon. The only way that I will sign a contract with Verizon until they give better value is if I go to WFM and it sucks (which is highly unlikely from reviews on the Internet specifically about their plan--not certain phones). I wish Verizon would "get it", because I really don't want to go. But in the cell phone wars, a semblance of loyalty---on both sides, customer and company---is at a premium.

› See More: Curious about ex-Alltel customers and Verizon. Thoughts on value, and WFM
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?