1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

How-to Custom Homepage on the Voyager VX 10000

Discussion in 'LG Voyager' started by bossdragon, Dec 30, 2007.

1. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

Ok, if you all don't know this by now, the LG VX10000 (The Voyager) has a full HTML browser it uses. As such, it was just a matter of time before somebody figured out how to make a custom page that would fit on the Voyager's screen and could be fully customizable to each user.

So, here are some link and tutorials on how to load up a custom homepage of your own on your Voyager.

All THANK YOU'S and such go to mkleiman for this...it's 100% his doing's with very minor help from a few others.

NOTE: There are two different ways to do this, but I will only post one (a no folder option) for the time being as it's by far the easiest way to go.

Please read or print this whole thing out before you start. It may look like a lot, but believe me, it's way easier than it looks, and should only take you about 15 minutes or so to do it all.

If nothing else, at least print out the tutorial at the very bottom and follow the instructions on it.

Things you will need before you even start.

You will need to know what version you have on your phone. To find out open your phone and go to:

Setting & Tools
    Phone Info (#11)
    SW/HW Version (#2)
    If your SW Version is: VX10KV03, then you have the older version.
    If your SW Version is: VX10KV05, then you have the updated version.

(I have posted this elsewhere, but you can take your phone in to a authorized Verizon Store, and they will flash your phone to the updated version.)

A Googlepages account or a Gmail account. If you don't have either, then go to http://www.googlepages.com and select the option to "Sign Up" for a Google Account. It's totally free, and you will need this to host your homepage templates.

You will need the template's that mkleiman has already made for everybody. There are currently two different styles and are shown below:

SIDE NOTE: Instead of me typing all this out, I am going to quote mkleiman as much as possible.

COLORED VERSION

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BLACK VERSION

[​IMG]

(QUOTED by mkleiman)
    Smart Tabs
    The home page now remembers which tab you were last viewing whenever you navigate off to other sites, and will automatically reload that tab when you return to the home page. The next time you restart the browser, the home page will default back to the first tab.

Keyboard Shortcuts
    While browsing with the phone open, you can press [1], [2], [3] or [4] on the keyboard and the button display will switch to the corresponding tab.

Button Names
    The buttons are slightly longer, and will now accommodate names up to approximately 10-12 characters. If you want to use even longer button names, there is an easy preset formatting option that will accommodate names of 14-16 characters on one line, and will automatically realign to accommodate even longer 2-line names. Please see the release notes for instructions and details.

“Bonus” Buttons
    The updated Voyager browser supports “Full Screen” display mode, providing additional space for more buttons if desired. The V5 version of the template now includes 3 additional “bonus” buttons on each tab (12 additional “bonus” buttons altogether) that are automatically displayed in “Full Screen” mode. The “bonus” buttons are automatically hidden in “Normal” display mode. Always hit “refresh” after switching display modes. Please see the release notes for instructions and details.

Time & Date
    The home page now displays both the date and current time. Please be sure to use the correct version of the template for your browser version to insure that the time display is accurate.

Other Changes
    Tab and button graphics are now 1 file each, instead of two files as in prior versions; this reduces server get time and results in faster page loading. Minor (but hopefully worthwhile) visual enhancements.

As before, I am releasing two variations of the template: one that uses folders, and one that does not use folders. If you use a hosting service that does not accommodate folders (such as Googlepages) then get the "No Folders" version. Otherwise, if you like to keep your image files in a subfolder, then get the "Folders" version.

Unfortunately, while developing the new version I discovered a bug in the updated version of the Voyager browser. Although the updated v5 browser has many, many improvements, it does not correctly handle the local time. I was able to code around the problem so that the clock works on both the v5 and the (original) version 3 browser. But, you need to get the correct file so that your clock displays accurately.

If the bottom of your browser window looks like this:

[​IMG]

you have the Version 3 (original) browser and you want to get one of the following files:

Download: :goldstar: V3 (original) - Folders :goldstar: v0.94.3

Download: :goldstar: V3 (original) - NO Folders :goldstar: v0.94.3g

However, if the bottom of your browser window looks like this:

[​IMG]

then you have the Version 5 (updated) browser and you want to get one of the following files:

Download: :goldstar: V5 (updated browser) - Folders :goldstar: v0.94.5

Download: :goldstar: V5 (updated browser) - NO Folders :goldstar: v0.94.5g

Other than fixing the clock bug, the v3 and v5 templates are basically the same. The only real difference is the "bonus" buttons in the v5 version, which only work on the v5 browser. If you use the new template and notice that the displayed clock is wrong, please double check that you downloaded the proper version.

If you decide to update from a prior version of the template you may discard and/or overwrite all the old files. Everything needed is in the zip downloads. You will need to cut & paste your links if you customized the buttons in a prior version of the template. In order to make accommodations for much longer button names, the format of the button links changed slightly. I apologize for the inconvenience, but if its too much of a hassle then you can always stick with your current version. :)

Each zip file includes a set of release notes. Look here for some basic instructions on editing the template to include your own tab names and buttons. You can make these kind of changes in Notepad or any other text editor, and even a novice in HTML should be able to do the basic editing outlined in the release notes.

Finally, if you are just discovering this template and you are completely unsure where to get started, then just do the follow:

1. Download whichever of the "No Folders" templates that corresponds to your phone's browser (v3 or v5).

2. Read and follow the Googlepages hosting tutorial that is posted below.

As always, you are welcome to use the templates as is, or to modify them to suit your own favorite links, color preferences, or whatever. The only thing you cannot do is try to sell the templates or distribute them in any commercial means. Enjoy! :D

GOOGLEPAGES HOSTING TUTORIAL

I don't know what more I can add. If you have any kind of HTML experience, then modifying the keys to whatever you want is really, really easy. I currently have both on my googlepage (with the black being my default).

I have been messing around modifying them. Currently my page looks like this:

Black

Colored

It looks much better on my phone than it does on a computer.

If you would like to take a look at both with your voyager, then just write down the above links and put them into your voyager.

If you have any questions, you can either post them here, and I will try and help all I can, or you can look inside the release notes that are part of everyone of zip files, and email mkleiman.

REMEMBER...this is all mkleiman's doing.....I'm just passing it along!

› See More: Custom Homepage on the Voyager VX 10000
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  2. twitch77

twitch77 New Member

wow. . .this is awesome. extremely easy.
    how do i get the black one though?

anyhow, thanks for the awesome how-to mkleiman, and thanks for the re-post boss.
    thnx.

----EDIT----
    hope it's okay for me to post this link. . .but here's where you can get the black one:

vx10khome - Voyager Home PageÂ*

thnx.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Sorry I didn't check on this. Also, use the tutorial up above just use this link to get the black version.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2007
  3. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

If you do any modifications to this, please post here for all to see....maybe there will be enough interest in your design that you could post a link so people could use, or modify to their taste.

This is going to be one of hopefully many changes that we are going to be able to do to our phone.

4. twitch77

twitch77 New Member

okay. . .after spending about an hour on this (hehe what can i say. . .i'm a perfectionist, lol. . .i made a spreadsheet in advance showing exactly how i wanted this homepage to be set up) here's what i now have:

my new voyager home page

hehe, as you can tell by my EXTRAS tab. . .i'm quite the nerd :blush: .

there's also more buttons then i have sites for. . .hence the multiple blogspot buttons :p .

i can't thank you guys enough for showing me how to do this. . .this freed up about 80% of my book marks on my voyager.

thnx.

---edit---
    like boss says, it looks much, much better on the voyager's browser then on a computer.

---edit #2---
    any way of changing the google search bar at the top, changing it from the mobile version of google, to regular google? (i can't stand the wap version of google on this phone. . .hehe regular google works much better on this phone).

thnx again.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  5. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

Open up the index.html file..*****scroll down till you find the address for that tab and change the address to the regular google site.

Save the file, then reload the index file up to your googlepage and you should be set.

EDIT: I did a quick search of my index page after posting this.....and this should be where you need to edit your search. I think just take the /m out of it and it should be ok. Just remember what you did, or make a copy of the file before you start messing around there....just to make sure you can change it back if you forget what your doing.

!-- Logo Bar -->
    div style="height:40px; background-color:#000000; clear:left; overflow:hidden">
    <div style="float:right; padding:4px"><form action="url=http://google.com/m/search]Google[/url]"

I had to take a few commands out of it so it would show all the text.....just in case you noticed it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  6. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

I just took a look at your page. On the EXTRAS page, you have the font set up wrong on EOJ Online and also on BLOGSPOT. It's not that big of a deal, but, they font could be bigger as both the words would fit on one line.....up to you really.

7. twitch77

twitch77 New Member

dragon, you kick azzors :p lol, i had no idea where to change the address.

i ended up replacing the original "http://google.com" method="get" name="search", with http://www.google.com/search".

i left out the "method="get"", and the "name="search"". . .but it works well now.

also fixxed a couple broken links, and changed some of the text sizes on the buttons.

here's the link again:

My Custom Home Page

thnx.

8. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

Oh yeah...that looks a lot better.

Glad you got that all working now...and maybe it will help some other people in the future.

Thanks for the info!

9. swardraws

swardraws New Member

I have found this page most useful in customizing my Voyager home page. Thank you very much for posting these templates and instructions.

One thing I noticed about the templates however, is in the third tab. The last row of buttons is not right. It only has 2 buttons and they are not aligned. To add a third button I copied and pasted one of those buttons in HTML and then removed this line of code <div class="blank">&nbsp;</div> that seems to have been put there by mistake instead of the code for the first of the 3 buttons there

10. twitch77

twitch77 New Member

----edit----
    okay, i tried replacing that line of code, and replaced it with the button code. . .but for some reason it's just not working for me. the button does come up, but then it takes 2 other buttons away lol. not sure if there's a way to fix this (i know very little about html).
    ----edit----

hey, thanks for the tip.
    i've noticed the missing button, but haven't spent anytime fixxing it yet.
    i'l follow your tips tommorow (will save me time having to figure it out on my own :) ).
    i'd do it now but don't have access to a computer atm (typing from my phone).
    anyhow, thnx.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  11. Nor-Cal Voyage

Nor-Cal Voyage New Member

Ello? I'm new to the forums and I've owned the Voyager since its been out. I recently got my firmware updated to version to VX10KV07. So I was wondering will this modification work with my firmware version?

12. myvoyager

myvoyager New Member

Cool

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  13. twitch77

twitch77 New Member

14. InSANe krAZy

InSANe krAZy New Member

ok, im familiar with HTML. i got this custom homepage working but for some reason i cannot seem to get the black version. what am i missing?

15. twitch77

twitch77 New Member

try this link. . .

vx10khome - Voyager Custom Home PageÂ*

what firmware you using?
    thnx.

16. InSANe krAZy

InSANe krAZy New Member

firmware 7...thanks

17. twitch77

twitch77 New Member

have you tried downloading the black and white version you can download from:

vx10khome - Voyager Custom Home Page 

if that still isn't working (use all the steps in the original post, but instead download the black and white version, from the link above), let us know.
    thnx.

18. 350zhaze

350zhaze New Member

good write up.. easy to follow, not to hard for a novice to this..thank you

19. Daybeezy

Daybeezy New Member

Hi does anyone have a new custom to work with the latest v09 update?

20. haus3452

haus3452 New Member

Has anyone found a different place to host this since googlepages isn't accepting new accounts?

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?