1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

deleting email from server and phone

Discussion in 'HTC Droid Incredible' started by MBaumgarth, Dec 4, 2010.

1. MBaumgarth

MBaumgarth New Member

Is it possible to delete an email completely from both the phone and server on the Incredible? I check my emails on my phone, delete them, and then have to go on the computer and delete them as well. It's annoying. Any way to go ahead and delete from both once I read it on my phone?

› See More: deleting email from server and phone
  2. aepple

aepple New Member

I don't know what server you have so I will speak about gmail.

I feel your pain... It can, and is a pain sometimes, but this is what I talk about when speaking about changing phone habits. Think of your phone, or server, as a back-up, I usually delete emails from my phone unless I need a particular email on my cell phone for specific reason/purpose, I read them, then hit delete, knowing that my computer has a copy if in need to see it again.

I think of my computer as the main storage building, and my cell phone as an annex. I have deleted an email and realized I needed after deleting it off my cell (gmail). What was great and a life saver was that my Gmail server on my ccmputer doesn't delete mail unless I specifically delete it FOREVER by hitting the Tab.

I don't get many emails on my Incredible so it's not a major issue for me, if it really bothers you, look into an email App call K9, it might have some capabilities you're looking for. Good Luck

Sent from my iPad

3. justcorbly

justcorbly New Member

Do you have a POP or an IMAP mail account?

If you have a POP account that is not Gmail, mail is downloaded and, usually, deleted on the server. This means that mail downloaded to your phone won't be available on you home or work computer, or vice versa.

With an IMAP account, mail is retained on the server.

On Gmail, using a POP account, because you have to specifically tell Gmail to delete mail, mail you read on a phone will appear as unread when you access Gmail on another computer.

If you set up an IMAP account on Gmail, Gmail will sync with any device that reads mail. With an IMAP account, mail is not deleted from the server and any action taken on any device is relfected on the server. This means if you read your mail with your phone, any actions vis-a-vis a piece of email will be reflected when you read mail with another device. For example, if you mark a mesage as read in your phone, it will be marked as read on your home or work computer. if you tell Gmail to delete an item, it will be deleted when you use another device.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the way POP and IMAP accounts work at all providers, ignoring Gmail's retention of mail unless told to delete it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  4. Jake Ashford

Jake Ashford New Member

First, lets learn the differences between the different email protocols and their typical usages...

------------------
    POP3
    ------------------
    Email that uses the POP protocol is retrieved by the email server and stored there until you retrieve it using a mail client (ie: Outlook in POP mode, Thunderbird, Opera Mail, etc). The default configuration is that your client will download email messages and then delete the copy stored on the server.

POP typically works best if you want to use a full email client and are only going to access email from one machine, otherwise you run into headaches trying to keep all your computers & devices in sync. Emails sent from one device will not have a copy of that message in the sent items on another device. There are utilities out there to help you keep things in sync or you can do it manually (which is tedious task at best).

------------------
    IMAP
    ------------------
    Email using the IMAP protocol is retrieved by the IMAP (email) server and is stored in a local message store. When you access email using an IMAP client (Outlook, Thunderbird in IMAP mode, etc), a copy of the messages is downloaded into your local store, but the main message store resides on the email server. All mail stays on the IMAP server unless you specifically delete emails. The IMAP server (ie Microsoft Exchange) and email client work together to stay in sync, so that when you delete or move an email, the server copy is deleted from or moved to the relevant location in the IMAP message store.

IMAP typically works best when you want to use a full email client like Outlook and retain a local copy of email, but also be able to access your email from other devices (phone, laptop, etc) without worrying about keeping everything in sync (the IMAP server and client handles this for you).

------------------
    Web Mail
    ------------------
    The best of both worlds is web based mail (Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc), especially if you don't care about retaining a local copy of your email. If you move or switch ISPs or phone carriers, there is minimal impact to your setup because everything is on a server out there in the "cloud".

Many POP3 and IMAP servers such as Microsoft Exchange also have the capability to offer web mail access. It depends on how the administrator has configured the server.
    ------------------

As to your question about deleting mail from the server using a POP account on your Droid Incredible, there is a way to turn this setting on. Go to Mail on your Droid Incredible and then press the Menu button. From there, choose More and then choose Settings. Choose Send & Receive.

There is an option to "Delete mail on server", which you can check or uncheck.

When checked, this means that when your phone downloads email from the POP mail server, it will delete the copy on the server and you won't be able to also get a copy in your PC email client if you downloaded email to your phone already.

Most POP email clients have this setting as well. In Mozilla Thunderbird, for example, it is a setting that says "Leave Messages on server", which you check or uncheck (there is a similar setting in Outlook). Also, you can specify in whether the email client will remove emails from the server when deleted in the client (this is in case you have "Leave messages on server" checked so you can retrieve the messages on other computers & devices, but want email you manually delete to be removed from the server).

I use POP and typically do what Aepple suggests...thinking of my computer as the "main server" or "main storage" for my emails and use the phone to be aware of important emails when I am out on the road or not near my computer.

I set the email client on my laptop and phone to leave a copy of the email on the server. I set the email client on my main computer to delete or NOT leave a copy on the server. Keep in mind that with this setup, if I check email on my main computer first, it will download email to my PC and then delete the messages on the server. This means that any email already downloaded to my main computer will not be available for download to my Droid Incredible or laptop if I use my PC to check email before use the other devices to check email. With this method there is still a sync issue with sent messages as well. The copy of the sent email is stored on the device from which I sent it. For these reasons I have been thinking of switching to IMAP as the # of Internet and email enabled devices I own increases.

The reason you would not want all clients and devices to leave a copy on the server is that eventually your email Inbox on the server would fill up and depending on how the server is configured to handle this situation, any new incoming mail from people might bounce and not get delivered.

I apologize for the length of this post, however, in my consulting business I am constantly dealing with this issue as most users do not know how email works or the differences between POP, IMAP and Web Mail. A lot of end users think very little about the configuration and pros & cons of each and just expect their email to always be available and automatically synced across all of their devices.

Hopefully this will help you and other readers to better understand the basic differences between types of mail servers and which options are best for you based on how you plan to access your email and the type of email server you are using.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  5. areare

areare New Member

I have the reverse problem that I hope you can help me with. My gmail on my Droid Incredible uses POP mode. I lost my phone, and am concerned that if someone picked up that phone, they can read all of my email, some of which contains documents which I don't want out there (I foolishly scanned some documents that I always wanted to be able to access to thru email).

I've had Verizon turn off the phone and the email connections, and am wondering if I delete the messages with those documents on my laptop, then delete them from the deleted folder, then ask Verizon to turn the email connections back on, whether those emails will be removed from the phone. Can anyone answer that question??

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

6. JAM_1234

JAM_1234 New Member

hola,Mi ISP nuevo (no Gmail) me dice que los correos que envio desde el iPAD no se guardan en el servidor y cuando me conecto con el iPhone o el Outlook no los veo en la bandeja de enviados.Esto es normal? Me parece un atraso total.Pueden hacer algo para que pueda gestionar mis correos desde el PC, iphone o ipad indistintamente?Muchas graciasJAM

7. WhatThe

WhatThe New Member

Thank you for all this useful information! I have never figured out how to delete my emails form my phone and also have them get deleted from the server. It has always driven me nuts to have to delete them twice.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?