1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Do Verizon phones have SIM cards?

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by DM15, May 22, 2005.

1. DM15

DM15 New Member

Hello,

My brother wants to upgrade his phone, so he asked me how. I use Cingular, and just SIM switch. I looked at his phone, the LG LG VX4500, and found no SIM card at all. Not under the batter or above it.

Does Verizon have SIM cards, is that phone just too old for a SIM? Should I unscrew parts and have a look inside?

Thanks

› See More: Do Verizon phones have SIM cards?
  2. element4lif3

element4lif3 New Member

no they do not because verizon wireless uses a CDMA network which doesn't use sim cards, and only mainly gsm networks use sim cards. sorry
    1 person likes this.
  3. DM15

DM15 New Member

So I take it there is no way to switch Verizon phones?
  4. hPn0TiQ510

hPn0TiQ510 New Member

i think you gotta have the other phone(which has to be part of verizon's lineup) and go to the store or call up and have the ESN switched over.
  5. element4lif3

element4lif3 New Member

yes. there is a way to switch carriers with a cdma phone. get something to unlock the phone with which you usualy need is a data cable, find some unlocking software for your phone and unlock your phone, then take your phone to a carrier that uses the CDMA network and activate it there. hope this helped
  6. hPn0TiQ510

hPn0TiQ510 New Member

what he (^) said is true for other cdma carriers..but verizon will only accept their own phones now.
  7. fordcobra04

fordcobra04 New Member

Just to clarify things here:

Verizon is CDMA. Not GSM. Therefor, SIM cards will not be compadible w/ Verizon phones.
  8. agentHibby

agentHibby New Member

Verizon Wireless does take unbranded phones and activate them. Many customers are getting the Nokia 6255i activated.

CDMA SIM card are called R-UIM (removable user identification module). They are Not used in North America right now. Maybe someday.
    Last edited: May 25, 2005
  9. jumpman5678

jumpman5678 New Member

Yea, Verizon Wireless does not use SIM cards...
  10. agentHibby

agentHibby New Member

This photo here from TopRam you can see where the R-UIM chip would go if you bought this phone in Asia.
    [​IMG]
  11. GulfWater

GulfWater New Member

Interesting.

Cool picture agentHibby.
  12. octo

octo New Member

I have a question: I have a AT&T CDMA Phone Motorola V60i and I want to use it instead of my pos samsung A670. is that possible? I have 2 of these phones just lying around and I rather use the Motorola
  13. vandy1997

vandy1997 New Member

No SIM cards for Verizon. I believe the Moto A840 uses SIM cards for GSM overseas!!
  14. blackrose590

blackrose590 New Member

they can transfer phone books at the store but charge ya $10.... dont knowif they'll do it between a verizon and no virzon phone
  15. snow28

snow28 New Member

Verizon operates on CDMA standard which uses no SIM cards. However, some phones may have dual capabilities and have a SIM card slot available. You will probably need to unlock such phone before trying using it with a SIM card on GSM network.
  16. mar80

mar80 New Member

My blackberry storm has a sim card but i cant find another one that does ive been trying to find a way out of paying full price for a new one because im not eligable for my upgrade yet?
  17. wise3g

wise3g New Member

Verizon is CDMA. Not GSM. Therefor, SIM cards will not be compadible w/ Verizon phones.
  18. tasha84

tasha84 New Member

my phone is from verizon and it has a sim card so some verizon phones must have them
  19. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

4g verizon phones have 4g sims but they are not used the same way as sims by other providers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?