1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Does using Wi-Fi accrue data charges?

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by amberc727, Dec 28, 2008.

1. amberc727

amberc727 New Member

I purchased a phone off of ebay that has wi-fi. I would like to find out if I use the wi-fi on the phone, will I need a data plan, or if I don't have a data plan, will I have to worry about additional charges? I don't see why using the wi-fi would cause additional charges on my Verizon bill...but who knows the way they do business.

I hope someone can answer my question. I'd prefer to not have to call them if possible.

› See More: Does using Wi-Fi accrue data charges?
  2. katefields

katefields New Member

If you're talking about your phone having a separate wi-fi switch (usually has a picture of a little antenna), then no, it won't. You can call Verizon (*611) and ask them to block all data, just to make sure. I did that with my XV6800, which I also got off eBay. You won't be able to send MMS messages (picture messages) if you have them block all data, but Verizon charges an arm and a leg for MMS on Smartphones anyway; they count it as data usage instead of just a message, rounded up to the nearest kb. IMHO, better just to block it all or bite the bullet and get the internet package.

3. scottb

scottb New Member

If you got the Samsung i730 (like in your picture), you might not even be able to have the cellullar radio and the WiFi radio on at the same time. If they are on at the same time, keep an eye on the WiFi indicator. If it disconnects from WiFi while you're using it, the cellular radio will pick up and use data. To eliminate this possibility, turn off the cellular radio when using WiFi.

4. tz51548

tz51548 New Member

I also have an XV6800 that I got off ebay, and I've had Verizon block their data. However, according to the last Verizon rep I spoke to, this won't matter because they will charge me on a per kb basis even when I am using the wireless signal from my FIOS account. She said that they have some way to ensure that all wifi traffic though the phone goes over their network. This seems odd, but I can only assume that this is true because I can see the kb counter incrementing when I try to browse the net after connecting to my home wifi signal. I guess I'll know for certain when my bill comes.

5. amberc727

amberc727 New Member

When I got this phone, I called and verified with a Verizon rep that Wi-Fi would NOT cause me accrue data charges. Today I get my bill, and I've got $30 of data charges! Those idiots are charging me, and when I call, they say that "they can't guarantee that I won't be charged for using my wi-fi" even though I'm not connecting to their network! This makes no sense!

6. mnmnk00

mnmnk00 New Member

Sure it makes sense, well actually, it makes millions for them.:cool:

7. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

You must have a data plan. The device you have set under here shouldn't require a mandatory data plan though, so you should be able to remove the plan.

Can you tell me the exact data amount you were billed.

Most likely, if it totaled $30.00...it was because you had an accidental data plan added at time of phone activation.

I can guarantee that Verizon Wireless does not bill for Wi-Fi use and the phone does not connect to the Verizon Wireless network while browsing Wi-Fi. The KB counter on your device will increase because it's just counting from what's happening from your phone. The Verizon Wireless #DATA will be the one you need to watch. If it climbs, something is wrong with your connection somewhere...get it fixed. Call them if this happens. I have had many Wi-Fi enabled devices from Verizon and have never been billed for data...that I didn't intend on.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?