1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

How-to email mp3's to your phone: quick guide

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by Vspec, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Vspec

Vspec New Member

LHey all, i just posted this up in the LG forum, but thought i'd add it here as well. Hopefully some of you might get some use out of it.

I dont know if this is the best way to do this or not, But this is how i've done it with my vx6000. If anyone knows a better way to do it, let me know.

first step, download something like
    sound forge that will let you convert your mp3 to wav files.

crop down the music file to what you want the ringer to be. I dont know what the max length is that the phones will accept, but I can do a 10 second clip on my vx6000 with no problems.

once you've gotten the mp3 cropped to the seletion you want, convert it to a mono file and change it to 8,000hz. (in soundforge, choose the 'resample" option from 'process' tab.

you should now have a MONO cropped file at 8,000hz. You can go ahead and save it now.

now you need to convert the file to .qcp
    you can use qualcomm's converter here: http://www.cdmatech.com/solutions/products/purevoice_download_sdk.jsp
    (drag and drop your .wav file onto the pvconv.exe file)
    (The vx6000 might be able to play mp3's as well - but qcp is what the phones save audio files as some i'm assuming its the native format for verizon phones.

So once you have your made qcp file, you'll need to manually change the extension to .midi (even though its not a midi file, verizon will strip any sound attachments to your phone unless its a .midi file)

now if you have a vzwpix.com account, you can upload this file to that and then send it to your phone, or just regular email and send it as an attachment. (yournumber@vzwpix.com)

check your phone, it should say new message- and you'll hear it play your new file. Now save the sound file and do with it whatever you want.

hope this helps

› See More: email mp3's to your phone: quick guide
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2004

2. Brianster

Brianster New Member

The clearity is "okay" but it works....at first while i was uploading the song to verizon messaging place, there was an error...ignored it being that im pretty lazy to fix anything....and guess what IT WORKS ROFL :thumbsup:

[​IMG] :thumbsup:

GOOD JOB VSPEC
    1 person likes this.
  3. hPn0TiQ510

hPn0TiQ510 New Member

i was waitin to see if it worked for anyone--good job vspec. i'll make this an important thread since it works.
  4. heydude23

heydude23 New Member

how do you crop midi?
  5. davidh

davidh New Member

u can crop midi using a free program called Anvil Studio at www.anvilstudio.com.
  6. earnrok

earnrok New Member

when i try to manually change qcp to midi, the file just ends up being .midi.qcp .... how can i change this??
  7. earnrok

earnrok New Member

nevermind i figured that part out, but i tried all that like 6 times and my audiovox 8900 kept saying could not handle pix message
  8. amberjack

amberjack New Member

Trying

I tried the qcp program but kept getting zero byte files even with different sampling rates (Tried 8khz first)
  9. amberjack

amberjack New Member

dont use musicmatch to convert, for some reason the qualcomm program wont convert these files afterward
  10. amberjack

amberjack New Member

ok, got it on the phone, sounds good until i save it, then i cant hardly hear it. ack
  11. PlainShane

PlainShane New Member

Do you have to pay a fee ($0.10) to send this to your phone?
  12. amberjack

amberjack New Member

i believe its the standard cost of a pic msg
  13. mattiwest19

mattiwest19 Banned

very helpful thanx
  14. Krome

Krome New Member

Great thread Vspec. Works on my vx7000 fine. Quality's a little low, but that's ok. I was able to resample at 11025 at around 10-12 seconds and it worked fine as well, but I probably won't be able to have as many ringtones. Thanks again!
  15. echsbox

echsbox Guest

Guess it doesn't work for my phone. When I go to preview it, it makes the phone restart.
  16. casey

casey New Member

cant hear it

When I open the file it is REALLY loud and distorted, and then when i save it to my rings, it becomes so quiet that you can barely hear it...anyone know what this is from?
  17. shadowspawn

shadowspawn New Member

Works for me

I use cooledit for my audio. Maybe make sure it's saved as a windows PCM .wav

some audio editing software automatically puts in "markers" in the wav file, possibly it's causing problems for some. (soundforge is famous for that)
  18. homebroo69

homebroo69 New Member

I have managed to send the file as a QCP to my phone and it plays, but I am unable to "Assign" it as a Ringer. It was saved at 8000 Hz and converted (tried assigning as mid, 3gp, and qcp) to QCP, but my phone will NOT accept it as a ringer. Any ideas???
    Thanks!
  19. chevydude

chevydude New Member

for the a-670 (samsung) i am able to send the file as WAV. at 22,000 rate and at 30 seconds per tone.
  20. alexosmanoff

alexosmanoff New Member

Solution to all ur problems

well most people can get the song on to the phone but it is quiet.... heres was what i predicted.... when u force it onto speakerphone.. it is a lot louder... now if u get those songs and set them as ur ringtones and force into speakerphone mode it will be louder.. i just tested it and it worked...

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?