1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

How-to Export/Sync Contacts from Outlook and Import to Droid Incredible

Discussion in 'HTC Droid Incredible' started by jdeg, Apr 14, 2010.

1. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure there's a lot of you that have your contacts already synced with MS Outlook 2007 and need to sync them to your new Incredible. Here's an easy way to do it:

• Download HTC Sync from the HTC website: http://www.htc.com/us/support
    • Connect the Incredible to your computer with the USB cable
    • Drag down the Notification panel and select "Select to change USB connection type"
    • Select HTC Sync then Done
    • Your phone should connect to your computer - if it doesn't try unplugging the USB cable and trying again
    • Select Next on your computer - Enter a name for your phones - Select what information you want to sync

Note: this is the same process for syncing your outlook calendar

As an alternative, if you only want to export and not sync your contacts you can export a file from Outlook:
    Step 1
    • Open Outlook and click on your contacts
    • Go to File > Import and Export > Select Export to a file - Next
    • Select Comma Separated Values (Windows) - Next
    • Select Contacts - Next
    • Save the file in a known location - Next
    • Click on 'Map Custom Fields' and make sure Default Maps are set
    • Click Finish
    Step 2
    • Click Contacts in the left menu
    • Click Import in the top right
    • Choose file and select the .csv file you just saved (add them to a group if you want)
    • Click Import
    • Your contacts will be imported into your Gmail account
    Step 3
    • On your Incredible make sure you have connected your Gmail account
    • Go to contacts > Menu > Accounts
    • Select your Gmail account > Menu > Sync Now
    • Your new contacts will be imported - Any duplicates should be merged.

More http://cellphoneforums.net/htc-droid-incredible/t310856-droid-incredible-tips-tricks.html

› See More: Export/Sync Contacts from Outlook and Import to Droid Incredible
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
  2. ahmetakarsu

ahmetakarsu New Member

Thanks a lot for the great help! It simply worked and saved my life! ;)
    However, I had difficulty in Step 3 and had to find a different solution at that stage. So, I want to contribute by telling how I solved that difficulty, in case some other people might face a similar problem with me...

Well, here starts my story:

I didn't use step 1 because I had already created a .csv file using an Android application installed on my smart phone, named "Backup Contacts".

However, I had no idea at all about how to transfer the contents of this .csv file into my phone's address book again. And I couldn't find any Android applications that does this.

The step 2 in your message saved my life! It showed me what to do! And it worked just perfectly!

But then, it was difficult for me to sync my phone's address book with this gmail contact book. I opened the gmail Android application on my phone but couldn't find any option related with syncing. Actually I couldn't even reach the contact book using that application! After thinking a lot about how to do it, I understood that it should be done from the settings menu of the phone itself! :) I didn't understand this in the beginning perhaps because I have a different Android phone: HTC Desire. Or perhaps because I was nervous enough not to be able to think calmly! ;)

So, I solved the last step on my own phone this way:

My Step 3:

--> I signed in to my Gmail account using my laptop (not phone)
    --> I opened the "Contact Manager" by clicking the red "Gmail" menu under the Google logo on top right of the page, and selecting contacts
    --> From the "More" menu I chose "Export" and exported a vCard from my Gmail account to my harddisk
    --> I copied this file to my phone's SD card
    --> I started the "People" application
    --> I chose "Import" from the menu
    --> Then I chose "Import from SD card"
    --> Then I chose "Phone" from the menu
    --> Then it started searching for a vCard
    --> Then it found the file and imported the contacts successfully...

I just wanted to make this contribution, in case some other people might have the same difficulty with me...

Once again thanks for your help. You did a great work. You helped me to figure out how to solve my problem...

Ahmet Akarsu
    North Cyprus

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?