1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Failure rate of text messages to other carriers really high.

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by alrey, Dec 1, 2005.

1. alrey

alrey New Member

I'm assuming I'll have to call CS at some point, but that's usually a very long, very painful process, so I'd like to get any info I can before that.

My problem is this: when I send text messages to phones using carriers other than Verizon, they fail to get there way too often. Same thing with texts sent from other carriers to my phone. Texts sent within the Verizon network are pretty fast, and seem to always get there.

I haven't tested too much with other carriers, but specifically when I text/get texted by my friend who is using Virgin Mobile (sprint network, right?), the texts fail over 50% of the time. It doesn't come back with any kind of "Can't be sent" error, it just says it sent fine and a couple hours later I'll see/call them and they never got the message. Same thing happens when they text me. Sometimes the messages get through, but the fail rate is high enough to make texting at all somewhat futile. The last few days, to the friend with the Virgin Mobile/sprint phone, I've sent 38 text messages, and only 14 have gotten there. No idea how many they sent that I never got.

Although I can't see why a new phone would cause this kind of thing, I did start noticing it happening after I got my Motorolla E815 a week ago. Before that I had an old old LG VX10, and I hardly ever seemed to "lose" text messages. Does this seem like something that can be caused by a new phone?

Not sure if it's useful, but text fail rates seem to be the same in both "DV" (I think it was DV, that was when I was back home in Washington DC) and "1X" coverage areas, with full or close to full signal strength.

Any ideas? Similar experiences? Shoulders to cry on? Honestly I'm just trying to put off calling CS because I know they're going to say "LOL ITS SPRINTS FAULT NEWB" or something equally useless. I pay for text messaging, I wish it would work.

› See More: Failure rate of text messages to other carriers really high.
  2. cdawg

cdawg New Member

Others have reported similar issues, esp. with Verizon to T-Mobile. So, its not just you. In addition, pix messaging seems to be even worse, in regards to going between providers.

On my phone, when I send a txt or pix msg, it won't display a delivery failue, but if you check the status later, it will show success or failure. I would dig into your text options and see if you have the same issue.

Does this occur when you are sending to providers other than Virgin? Give it a shot and let us know what you find out. It may just be Virgin.

3. alrey

alrey New Member

The only other carrier I've texted much is Sprint (there are only a few people I really text often), and those seem to get there most of the time. Then again I don't text that person as much as my friends on Verizon or Virgin, so maybe I've just gotten lucky.

Virgin Mobile's website seemed to imply they operated on the Sprint PCS Nationwide network, which confused me a bit as to why the Spring customer would be getting the messages fine, while the Virgin customer doesn't, and both of those people live within 10-15 miles of each other.

As for the message confirmation thing, the 815 doesn't seem to have anything like that. Messages sent within the Verizon network have a really nice "Time sent", as well as "Time Delivered", but messages to other carriers only have "Time Sent". Text's I sent a week ago that I know never made it still list their status simply as "Sent: 11/30/05 10:53 pm".

I know the Virgin Mobile person text's a bunch, and as far as I know they don't have problems with text's from anyone but me. I asked if they text anyone else who has Verizon, but she didn't know and I haven't heard back yet.

4. brian72789

brian72789 New Member

Just in the past few days I went through 100 minutes just resending texts cause they kept failing. For the first 2 months I had no problem. I wasn't texting anybody different, It was just all of a sudden. Good thing i'm getting a new phone tomorrow. Well yeah, just wanted to get that out so nobody thinks their the only one.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?