1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

How-to Free Ringtones for the enV Touch VX11000

Discussion in 'LG enV' started by jdeg, Apr 7, 2009.

1. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

The following is how to put ringtones on your LG enV Touch VX11000 for free...

* Download the latest Test version of BitPim from sourceforge page)

USB:

• Install drivers from the Music Essentials Kit or install the VCast Music Manger from here: V CAST Music Manager Download
    • Plug the phone in
    • Start BitPim - Edit > Settings > Browse. Make sure the 'LGE CDMA USB Serial Port' is the port being used in the com port field.
    • Set the phone type to LG-VX10000 - Get Phone Data. (you may need to try this set on the lg versa - available in the latest beta release of bitpim)
    • Go to Filesystem (if you don't have the Filesystem link then View > Show Filesystem), expand it, and navigate to \Brew\16452\lk\mr (or \Brew\10889\ringtones) may be different for voyager 2
    • Right click in the mr (or ringtones) folder and select "New"
    • Browse to your ringtone and click "ok"
    • Restart the phone.
    Nothing other than the Filesystem tab will work unless the phone is supported as an option under "phonetype".

Bluetooth:

• This is similar to the above but first you must pair the phone and pc and get the Serial BT DIAG profile to connect one time.
    • With widcomm drivers you have "My Bluetooth Places" - go there and double click on the icon representing your phone.
    • Double click the BT DIAG icon to connect.
    • Take note of the com port that this connection uses (right click on the BT DIAG icon to see the port).Use this in the com port field in BitPim
    • Follow the instructions for USB.
    If you have some other Bluetooth drivers the process should be similar.

› See More: Free Ringtones for the enV Touch VX11000
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
    3 people like this.
  2. webpro

webpro New Member

This almost worked for me. Everything was fine up to the file system stuff. Here is what I did. It is a hack to put ringtones in My Sounds but works for now. YMMV

These procedure work for me. I am sure you can start with the phone on and use file names with spaces, etc but these work for me 100% so this what I do. If you want to do it with the phone on, you need to select Music Sync connection option on the phone when it connects to the PC. I have done it this way too but usually do it as described below.

- Renamed my mp3 to .mid. I make sure there are no spaces or non alpha-numeric characters in the name
    ** note: I tested leaving them as .mp3 and they worked as well. no need to rename to .mid
    - turn phone off
    - install drivers as described above (Win Vista found them automatically)
    - turn phone on
    - let the driver install process finish
    - turn phone off
    - connect phone to PC via USB
    - do not turn on phone
    - start bitpm as tavenger5 describes setting the comport. Mine is always 5
    - Go to Filesystem (if you don't have the Filesystem link then View > Show Filesystem), expand it, and navigate to /Brew/mod/18067
    (normal ringtones are in /Brew/mod/10889/ringtones/default. You cannot simply copy them here. Each ringtone is listed in /brew.sfv but I don't know how the checksum hash is created.)
    - Right click on 18067 and select "New File".
    - Browse to your ringtone and click "ok" or "open". Wait for the file to transfer. Repeat for remaining ringtones
    - power on phone
    - power off phone
    - power on phone
    - go to Media Center, Music and Tones, My Sounds
    - Your new ringtones are now in the list. You can select any sound and set it as a contact ID, ringtone, alert sound for text messages, etc.
    * You can send them to yourself and save as a ringtone to add it to the ringtone list or you can send it to someone else.

You can use the same procedure to remove files that do not work (i have had some).

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
    2 people like this.
  3. stargazertony

stargazertony New Member

This all seems unnecessarily complicated. Why not just go to phonezoo.com, text them to the phone then save them as a ringntone?

1 person likes this.
  4. webpro

webpro New Member

It is kinda complicated and it not for the casual user. If you want to complete control over your ringtones then you can do it yourself using some open source software and moderately simple albeit cumbersome procedures.

Personally, I don't want to use a site that I have no idea what it will do with my cell #. I don't really trust their altruistic intentions. At face value, they seem like a handy site but I remain skeptical.

5. stargazertony

stargazertony New Member

I've been using them for quite some time with no adverse reactions. No spam, no extra calls, nothing.

6. pti711

pti711 New Member

This is very simple and does not require you enter your phone number or any other info. Go to (makeownringtone.com) upload song and select part you want for ringtone and save to file on computer. Connect cell phone to computer via USB and go to Settings,Tools and USB Mass storage this will then show phone as external storage device on computer with its own drive letter. Click on it and you will have 5 or 6 folders copy ringtone file you saved earlier and paste it into the "My Sounds" folder. When complete unplug phone from computer and goto "Media Center" and click on "Music & Tones " then select "My Sounds" and the ringtone will be there, select it and set as ringtone. Sounds like but is very,very simple. PS you must have sd card for this to work

1 person likes this.
  7. webpro

webpro New Member

You are correct the procedure to put sounds does work through mass storage. When I first connected mass storage, there were no directories for whatever reasons. It is there now and it works just fine and is way easier than the above procedure.

Thanks.

8. commoncents

commoncents New Member

I find using BitPim is easy.

9. webpro

webpro New Member

The sounds file method using mass storage is the easiest as you can simply move many ringtones at once. BitPM has other advantages and I saw that they checked in support for the enV Touch. Hopefully a new build comes out soon so we can use bitPM to put them directly into ringers.

The mass storage procedure does not work on the Verizon LG 8360. The 8360 does not allow you to save sounds as a ring tones. I ended up sending the sound to myself as a text message and was able to save it as a ringer.

10. NeoBox3

NeoBox3 Invisible LG Man

lol thats what i do..kindof except that i redownload the sound and put it into mysounds ;)

11. makaveliadam

makaveliadam New Member

I made a complete tutorial on how to put your own ringtones on any lg phone that is not with the Bell/Aliant network.

www dot piczo dot com / makaveliadam71

check it out guys!!!!

Everything you need right there! It was made for the keybo but i got it to work on all non bell/aliant lg phones

12. slr409

slr409 New Member

Okay so I did all this and bitpim isn't recognizing the usb driver I only have the option for auto or comp 3 which is Conexant HDA D330 MDC V.92 Modem. I tried downloading the driver for LG envoy touch and for LG voyager and its not giving me that option for the driver you said to choose. I also have the newest version of bitpim so what am I doing wrong? I don't know if this would or should make a difference I am using windows vista. Please help.

13. webpro

webpro New Member

Is this a Env Touch? make sure you set the phone to USB Mass Storage in the tools menu. If the computer does not recognize the mass storage device, then you do not have the USB drivers. My Windows Vista found the drivers automatically. What OS do you have? You should be able to access the phone as any USB flash drive.

14. slr409

slr409 New Member

Thanks for the help, bitpim was being excessively temperamental, it wouldn't work then someone texted me which caused the phone to disconnect and when I plugged it back in it found the port (finally) as an inoperable port, so then i tried doing the brew thing and it wouldn't recognize. I got frusterated and turned off the phone now its working from what i can see. I just tried putting a song on my phone and.....It worked!!!! :) So how important is it to do the brew thing?

15. webpro

webpro New Member

Check the linkbacks below for my blog post on Four King Beach. The first paragraph describes the simple method also noted somewhere in this thread. Copying files via bitpm is no necessary.

I have not checked for a later version of bitpm to see if they built a new version with full ringtone support.

16. systemdown

systemdown New Member

I did the above and everything loaded into the phone, I restarted it but the new files are not showing up... When I view the files with bitpim it shows them, but they're not showing up in the ringtone list....Any suggestions? I tried restarting the phone a few times. The files are MP3's

17. webpro

webpro New Member

As described in the procedure, you will not see the files as ringtones. They will be sounds. You can select the sound as a ring tone or send it to yourself as a multimedia text and save it as a ring tone.

I only use MP3 files. They work just fine.

I have not cheded for a newer version of bitpm in a while to see if they added native ringtone support. Well, I looked atthe source code and saw it was added but never built. So, if it is built in now I'll see if I can update the procedure. native ringtone support is way cooler.

18. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

19. angelicthreads

angelicthreads New Member

Just joined and am thinking of purchasing this phone. What they told me at the store is to download ringtones I have to purchase the ringtone and then pay to 'transfer' it?
    Is there a true way to do this without any fees?
    Thanks so much,
    from a newbie.....

20. carmen22

carmen22 New Member

Use your wap - best site for downloading ringtones via wap is: m.mytinyphone.com

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?