1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Going dumb: can I sync calendar/contacts on a dumbphone?

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by cerberez, Apr 14, 2010.

1. cerberez

cerberez New Member

Hi, I've been on an omnia i910 for 1.75 years now, and it's serving me great (well, it was garbage till I flashed it, now it's glorious), but I'm about to graduate from college with no immediate plans of grad school, and I'm doubting the necessity of that $30/month. There's a lot of stuff, definitely, that I love but could live without (first and foremost being geocaching and the ability to look up when something starts while I'm out and about), but my life would fall apart without a strong calendar system (preferably one that can sync with my computer, and even better if it can make it to google calendar)...

Here's what I'd like your help with... how can I ease the switch to a dumbphone? Any tricks or any specific phones that are "smarter"? Also, what phones have the best calendar systems?

thanks so much!

-Ezra

› See More: Going dumb: can I sync calendar/contacts on a dumbphone?
  2. vanman250

vanman250 New Member

I found the Palm Treo's and the Motorola Q do everything except Internet. I purchased a wifi card for my treo and use the Internet in hot spots for free. Those are the only two phones I found that give you necessary features without the data plan.

vanman250
  3. cerberez

cerberez New Member

do you think verizon would let me have one of those without a 29.99 data plan? Last time I was in there (1.75 years ago) I tried to get a treo without a data plan and they weren't having any. I leaned on them pretty hard and eventually walked out of the store without buying anything, but they wouldn't budge.

Another option I saw was VZW's "Multimedia phones," which still sport crippling UIs, but they let you get a 9.99/month (25 mb) data plan, which I feel like I'd be ok paying. Is any of those capable of google calendar sync?
  4. vanman250

vanman250 New Member

If you buy the treo from ebay and call to activate it they will not charge you the data plan. You can activate and use these two phones on the basic plan. I would call Verizon and have them block anything your not paying for or else they will charge you anytime you hit the wrong button. I found out the hard way. I received a bill and they said you must be hitting the buttons by accident or someone else is using your phone , Now that I have them Blocked no more charges.

vanman250
    1 person likes this.
  5. cerberez

cerberez New Member

awesome! why is it only those two phones? any ideas?
  6. vanman250

vanman250 New Member

There are probably more but those are the only two I know of. You can sync a razr to your computer but the calendar doesn't hold more then a few days

vanman250
    1 person likes this.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?