1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

G'zOne stuff <major hardware/network hacks>

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by heviarti, Nov 21, 2010.

1. heviarti

heviarti New Member

Before I get talking too much, I need to make a few things clear.
    I'll be talking about two phone families, Type R/V and type X. Each requires different medicine. I'm discussing circumventing some verizon policies, but I'm not suggesting taking any service I'm not paying for. A great deal of this will probably be extremely arcane, but should result in a great deal of learning about both hardware and network.. I hope it proves to be an example.

I'm about to try to fix a Verizon G'zOne type V with a busted screen. I'm considering using a case and screen from a Japanese type R as my parts donor. This is going to require a little hacking of the hardware. Is anyone deeply familiar with either or both of these at board level?
    I'm also interested in how the OS works. In the type R form it is a macromedia flash interface over something running on an ARM9. I'd like to know how it works as a part of studying the feasibility of converting to KDDI's Japan release OS which has more features related to the phone hardware, and many less bugs.. I'm not interested in any telephony features barring voice and text.

They're releasing a new G'zOne in Japan. it is part of the Japanese G'zOne family which surpasses the ruggedness of our own since the release of the type S. The last one that was the same thing was the type V. after the type V screen size and construction quality went to heck.

Here's two videos about the type X. They're in Japanese, so just look at the pretty pictures and enjoy:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtP1oqcjYa8&feature=related]YouTube - G'zOne TYPE-X Promotion Movie[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8YzA66CGx8&feature=watch_response]YouTube - G'zOne TYPE-X Promotion Movie[/ame]
    And here's a page on the subject:
    G'zOne TYPE-X | Mobile Phones | au by KDDI

This is pretty much the coolest rugged phone on the planet. With Global Passport CDMA it can (possibly) roam on US CDMA-2000 networks. So, I'm considering the possibility of acquiring one, and then doing a great deal of work (possibly including writing my own hacked USIM) to see if I can possibly get onto verizon with it. This may also include cloning the info from one of my own (authorized) devices so i just don't have to tell anyone what I'm doing, or B, having the Verizon logo painted on the phone by a skilled professional small detail painter, and out and out lying to a far-flung Verizon rep. I have been told the frequencies *WILL* work on the phone and it's all about authentication.

I hope that doesn't offend anyone, but then I would like to be the first to get a Japanese phone working with Verizon. I'm pretty well versed in technology, and am not an idiot. I've been running Linux and Commercial UNIX since 1997. I've done black and white hat security analysis. when I was a teenager, me and my Atari Portfolio Palmtop/Lineman's handset used to be the bane of US West. I'm willing to do majorly crazy hacks to make things work. I've also got a thread on howardforums, but I've seen posts by knowledgeable people here too. This is a job for serious tech-nerds... among which I count myself. I'm just not to the point of god-like.

› See More: G'zOne stuff <major hardware/network hacks>

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?