1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

help - cheap replacement for broken phone

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by marksable, Feb 7, 2011.

1. marksable

marksable New Member

Hi everyone...

My mother went on vacation, during which her Verizon cell phone was damaged (water). It may or may not work again, but it's supposed to be packed in salt for the next few days, during which time she'll need a phone.

Verizon is telling her that a replacement phone will cost $350...I don't know the exact model of her phone, but it's not a good one.

Short term I'm hoping to find a cheap replacement to tide her over for the week. It would be great if I could find such a phone on Amazon, as I have free shipping with them.

I'm not quite sure I understand how pre-paid phones work. Does that lock her into a new phone or is it pay as you go? The reading I have done suggests that she couldn't transfer the phone to her existing Verizon account for 6 months.

I have an old iphone, which I'd be happy to give her, but I don't know how or even if it could be transferred to Verizon, or turned into a pre-paid phone.

Long term...I think it's outrageous that she has to pay $350, I feel like she could cancel and still buy a better phone for less.

But my main concern is getting her a cheap, emergency as quickly as possible.

apologies if this has been covered, I've searched and not been able to find an answer. I'm in a bit of a rush.

Thanks in advance,

› See More: help - cheap replacement for broken phone

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?