1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

How can I block a specific or restricted number from calling me?

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by y2kgtp, Dec 22, 2006.

1. y2kgtp

y2kgtp New Member

I see that Verizon does not offer this feature:

How can I block a specific or restricted number from calling me?
    Sorry, we do not offer this service at this time.

However, is there a way I can reroute specific incoming numbers to a different phone #? We are getting some harassment on 1 phone #, and I want to either block the calls (which I can't seem to do here) or, reroute the specific numbers to something else.....like AOL Moviephone :D

I am avoiding having to change the # on this phone....

Admin edit - they do now:
    http://cellphoneforums.net/verizon/t337271-block-number-calling-you-verizon.html

› See More: How can I block a specific or restricted number from calling me?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
  2. y2kgtp

y2kgtp New Member

One thing I can think of is to put the # in the contact list, and set the ringer to "no ring"

At least that will keep the early AM calls to a minimum.....if it came to that....
  3. jeaniesing

jeaniesing New Member

that is the only solution I have heard of.... setting the ringer for that person to "silent"... you still have voicemail to sift through though :p
  4. y2kgtp

y2kgtp New Member

This is what we did.....it should be fairly obvious if a VM was left or not, and just perge them out....
  5. trinell05

trinell05 New Member

You know what? I have to give you props on this one. I never thought to do this, and I will try it now. This weirdo got my number and will not let up. I wish there was a way to block those pesky text messages, though.
  6. cybiko123

cybiko123 Active Member

Another thing you can try is called YouMail. YouMail allows you to set up something called "DitchMail". Basically, it plays a fake "this number has been disconnected" recording for whatever number(s) you choose and hangs up on the caller. Pretty handy for your situation.

Oh yeah, and it's free.
  7. under

under New Member

I don't know if this works on all Verizon phones. I have a Voyager. If you go to Settings and Tools/Phone Settings/Security (enter your security code)/Restrictions.. Then from there you can have your phone only accept calls from your contact list. you can also set the same for text messages. Verizon is stupid with their blocking. I had a Samsung Alias and it let me block numbers at no fee. Yet my new phone made by LG I have to pay for the blocks. This doesn't work for me, as I have to receive calls from people not in my Contacts at times. I have managed to get 8 free phones through them though for their non-professional ways. So call them up for fun and complain. You will get stuff!! Or switch Carriers, that's my next plan once my contract is up.

I don't know if this works on all Verizon phones. I have a Voyager. If you go to Settings and Tools/Phone Settings/Security (enter your security code)/Restrictions.. Then from there you can have your phone only accept calls from your contact list. you can also set the same for text messages. Verizon is stupid with their blocking. I had a Samsung Alias and it let me block numbers at no fee. Yet my new phone made by LG I have to pay for the blocks. This doesn't work for me, as I have to receive calls from people not in my Contacts at times. I have managed to get 8 free phones through them though for their non-professional ways. So call them up for fun and complain. You will get stuff!! Or switch Carriers, that's my next plan once my contract is up.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  8. dude222

dude222 New Member

If you know the number, you can call VZW and they will set up a block for you on the phone you're having the issue with. I personally did this on my son's cell phone.

But you can't do it yourself, at least not yet. Verizon has to do it for you, only they can set up the block, or the un-block, if you decide to take it off. The caller gets a message telling them you're not accepting calls at this time; or something of that nature.

One thing about this that Verizon did tell me is that the number you block still has the ability to send you a text message...but most people would not know that unless the were told.

Try it and good luck!
  9. rharri02

rharri02 New Member

i had a friend in high school on verizon that could block numbers from her own phone and it would completely block out calls AND texts but i dont know how she did it at all bc ive never had any phone that would do that for me. i either used the contact list thing or had VZW block it for me. and you can request that they also block texts if you want to bc ive had it done before
  10. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

FYI, this can now be done on verizonwireless.com:

My Verizon>My Services>My Cell Phone>Verizon Safeguards>Spam Controls
    1 person likes this.
  11. baitisj

baitisj New Member

If you have Verizon Wireless, the only way that I know of to block restricted numbers is with an application called "Do Not Disturb." You can get it by texting "dnd" to "apps" (363 to 2777), or go look for it under Media Center or Get It Now, or to mydonotdisturb.com

I hope this is helpful. i really get sick of restricted calls from telemarketers all the time
  12. DeAnna030390

DeAnna030390 New Member

Ok there are two things ytou can do. if u are verizon get do not disturb.... its 2.99 monthly or 16 something unlimited. but its pretty nice. you can block specific numbers, toll free/unknown numbers, private numbers (ppl who dial *67), and block calls during certain hours. It blocks these calls for you and keeps a record of them for you.

Also for those pesky people who call restricted to prank you or what not, get trapcall. the basic plan is free...it allows you to show blocked numbers. its not spam it works and doesn't ask for any credit card numbers. what it does is the call comes through as restricted. press ignore...the call will go through their system and a couple seconds later you'll get a call back from the same person but the number will show. the person will never know. (tip: if you have a ringback tone the ring back tone will play until it gets put thru the system at which time it will switch to just ringing.) its a nice free way to get the numbers of those prankers or people who are harassing you. There are other plans that have more options but they cost money.
    1 person likes this.
  13. fancync

fancync New Member

Thanks that was very helpful and it works.......many many thanks

Thanks millions
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  14. Esspyca

Esspyca New Member

If you come to a point that you want to change your phone, check for this feature, it is available on some phones including the new blackberry 9700 available on my website with at&t
  15. karthik.vsa

karthik.vsa New Member

i want to block specific number from incoming for while days.how to do?.
  16. k14580

k14580 New Member

If you go to vzw.com, and login to your account, choose the phone number, and click on block/allowed numbers. Add the number there. if it is a restricted number, click on BLOCK ALL RESTRICTED CALLS/SMS MESSAGES TO THIS NUMBER.
  17. bellpenn2

bellpenn2 New Member

18. bellpenn2

bellpenn2 New Member

It is an easy-to-use app
  19. Theo2320

Theo2320 New Member

this one will work but if you have someone you know that has a blocked number may not be such a good idea. in your settings there is a place to block out any number like a black list of some sort. instead of typing a name or number just type in restricted and that "call" whom ever it is will not be able to call.
  20. matanater

matanater New Member

You cant do that, you have to change your number

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?