1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

How does verizon's phone warranty work?

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by voxr3m, Sep 16, 2005.

1. voxr3m

voxr3m New Member

I went to the store today to get my a790's firmware updated since it wasn't reliably sending or recieving calls. An hour goes by and I go back to check on my phone to see if it fixed the problem. (I had been using my original phone since the a790 had problems so it wasn't activated at that point). So I get the a790 activated by tech support and the phone still doesn't work. So i'm bummed. But then the service representative on the phone told me 'oh hey your phone is under warranty'. I'm thinking huh? the a790? It is? How do they know? :confused: The rep then gets a data services rep on the line and explains to her that my phone from verizon doesn't work even after a firmware update and that it's under warranty and needs to be replaced. They go and verify that phone is under warranty. After a minute they return and they're asking for my address for shipment. The phone will come on tuesday and I will have to ship my old one back.

The thing is, how did my a790 have a warranty? Did they look up the ESN or MEID and see when the phone was bought and see that it was less than a year ago or what? Or is the 1 year warranty for any verizon phone I use starting from the date the number was activated? I'm confused. Either way I think a new a790 is coming my way from them. At least I think it's the a790, that was the phone that the rep was talking about... will they charge me if they find that the a790 I send back isn't the one I bought with the plan? Will they ever find out? :blush:

The a790 I have is from a relative. It's from verizon and has the verizon logo on it. Prior to getting the a790 from a family member who had used it on a trip, I had the lg vx7000 which was purchased when the number was activated (2 weeks ago). IS the warranty universal for any verizon phone or did they just mistake my vx7000's one year coverage for coverage on the a790? :blush:

› See More: How does verizon's phone warranty work?
  2. ErikDaGenErik

ErikDaGenErik Verizon Advisor

Warranty is valid for ONE YEAR from the day that the phone was purchased. The phone can go through 20 different owners and on the 364th day of being sold, if there is a defect/problem, as a part of Verizon's Worry Free Guarantee, we will replace it.

And just to let you know, replacing a phone with a warranty exchange is done on last resort. If you are having problems with your phone in terms of static or reception issues, Verizon will ask you to update your roaming by having you call *228 Option 2. Many sales reps including myself forget to tell customers about that when selling the phone. So its possible that there are new towers in the area and the phone is not utilizing them.

Second, if that doesn't work, we will see if there is a software upgrade, which is when we plug the phone in for 20-30 mins to update the phones software. Usually these software upgrades fix glitches or internal known problems in the phone.

If that doesn't work, they usually will switch the phone out with the same model. Of course if there's an obvious defect like one of the numbers on the keypad doesn't work, its an instant swap.

Warranty is easily voided if there is water damage, excessive physical damage, aftermarket face plates (on phones that require you to remove screws), and a few more that i can't think of right now.

As far as the charge you're talking about vox, i think they will charge you if you send back a a790 that did not match the ESN as the same as the one they saw during the over the phone transaction. I've never heard anything like that, however, there may be different circumstances with the 790 that i do not know.

Sometimes in the system, the warranty does or does not carry over during a phone switch. For example, if you bought a brand new LG 8100 and you lose it...then switch it to an old Motorola T720, the computer may see your T720 as under warranty thinking that it was the 8100. However it is the customer service (and sales) rep's job to make sure your phone is or isn't under warranty before replacing or denying you of a replacement. Customer service (at stores) spend more of the time servicing phones, so they know what they are doing. If you have insurance, check which one you have. If you have the $4.99, that is just the standard coverage. There is also a $5.99 on that includes and extended warranty ($1.99/mo if subscribed alone) that will cover 1+ years of the phones life as long as its defective and defective only. At the very worst if your phone is defective and is older than a year, they will charge you $50 for a replacement fee (same model of course).

I know I gave you a little more knowledge than what you asked for, but I hope this helps for future reference :)
    1 person likes this.
  3. voxr3m

voxr3m New Member

Oh. That's good. So the warranty is covered on the phone no matter how many owners it's had within the year.

My question is, how do they know how long it's been since the phone was purchased and whether it's still covered under warranty? I myself have no clue when the a790 was bought by my relative. Do they have a record of it's ESN in some sort of purchase record?
  4. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

Yes, they check the ESN.

They may also charge you after you have sent the old phone back, if after looking the phone over, they deem it was as owner defective problem (phone was abused, got dirt inside it and shorted the system out, and some of the things that Erik mentioned) They should have told you that when you gave them your address and stuff so they could ship you the new phone. Also, if you for some reason don't send the old phone back they will charge you the full retail price of the phone. Oh, and don't worry, they can get their money...they'll just charge you cell phone bill.

Also one other thing you might want to know is that a good percentage of the time, the phones they send you are refurbished phones and not brand new ones. One way to check is look at the histories. Last time they sent me a replacement phone, it had about 23 hours of use already. I haven't had a problem with it, but it was a referb.
  5. voxr3m

voxr3m New Member

So the ESN was how they linked the phone to the warranty it still had? So when they verified whether the phone was under warranty, they checked the ESN and it showed them that the specific phone was under warranty? If so, then I guess they can't have a reason to ever charge me. I even asked the rep and they said no charge for the replacement.

I just don't want to find out that after shipping the phone back to them, they tell me it's not in warranty. The phone is in good shape. Never got wet and only has a few dings here and there. I just want to know whether after the ESN was checked/verified by verizon when they processed my replacement request that the phone 100% for sure still has it's warranty.
  6. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

Yes, the phone is 100% under warranty, you don't have to worry about that. If it wasn't they would not have offered to send you a replacement.

Just make sure that you get everything you want off your old phone (pics, text, phone numbers) and them don't forget to send them the phone.
  7. ErikDaGenErik

ErikDaGenErik Verizon Advisor

if in doubt, if you have the ESN off the box, you can email me with it at erik.antonio@verizonwireless.com ;i can only pull it up if its in the west area of u.s.. from there i can tell you for sure if its under warranty. that phone i believe has been out for about a year, give or take a few months. chances are the phone is covered. from reading your posts on the circumstances, it seems like you have nothing to worry about my friend.
  8. voxr3m

voxr3m New Member

Hehe. Just as long as you guys are sure the warranty was confirmed from the ESN and not an issue of mistaking my original phone's warranty for the a790.

The phone was shipped to me from the west coast. So it was used there at one point. It's currently now with me on the east coast. Maybe it's still on record for verizon for being used in the west coast?

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?