1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

How to change MMS to SMS??? Please Help

Discussion in 'LG Voyager' started by profhardcore, Feb 6, 2009.

1. profhardcore

profhardcore New Member

When I am writing a text message I am only able to type 140 characters. I was recently told that I can change the format to SMS to give me much more typing space. I have looked everywhere in my Voyager and have not been able to change this. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

› See More: How to change MMS to SMS??? Please Help
  2. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Hi profhardcore,

SMS (Short Messaging Service)
    Creating an SMS or text-only message with the LG Voyager is simply a matter of pressing the left soft key "Message" and selecting "1. TXT Msg". The messages can be up to 160 characters long and you'll see a counter at the top left of left corner of the display that keeps count of the number of characters you typed so far: #/160.

To send an SMS message from a computer to your LG Voyager on the Verizon network send it to [your phone number]@vtext.com.

Note: In my experience, some wireless networks can't handle a full 160 character SMS message. For example, I have a friend on the Sprint network and he complains that my longer SMS messages are often truncated. I'm not even sure if this is a limit of his phone network or his phone, itself. I guess brevity is the safest course.

MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service)
    Creating an MMS text message with a picture or video attachment is simply a matter of pressing the left soft key "Message" and selecting "2. Picture Msg" or "3. Video Msg". I don't know how many characters an MMS message can have and I don't think that the Voyager provides a counter like it does with an SMS message.

Even though there isn't an "Audio Msg" selection, the LG Voyager can receive MMS messages with attached mp3 and wma audio files and play them. This is an easy way to send custom-made ringtones to your Voyager from your computer. Plus, the Voyager can receive MMS messages with multiple attachments. I've sent messages with more than one jpeg file and and more than one wma file to mine (but I've never tried to mix file types with the same message).

To send an MMS message from a computer to your LG Voyager on the Verizon network send it to [your phone number]@vzwpix.com.

Changing MMS to SMS
    As far as I know you can't convert an MMS message to an SMS message from your phone. Plus, I think you'd be going the wrong direction if you want to include a longer text message because I suspect that an MMS message can hold more text than an SMS message.

If you're creating a new message from your phone, the best thing would be to start over and create an SMS message by selecting "1. TXT Msg" as described above. However, if you are creating the message on your computer, you could convert it. Simply delete any attachments and send the text-only message to your phone via the vtext.com domain as described above.

Best regards, WiredNot
  3. profhardcore

profhardcore New Member

Thank you so much for the reply. You actually solved my problem! Firstly I didn't know what SMS and MMS stood for. Once you clarified that I found my solution. A normal text message I can only type 140 characters. That's my max. But when I send a picture message or video message I can type 1000 characters!!! I can now send longer messages. Thanks again for the response!
  4. hellooothere

hellooothere New Member

what's the difference? isn't it the same thing?
  5. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

No, they are different.

MMS is Multimedia Messaging Service while SMS is Short (or Shorthand) Messaging Service. I have also seen SMS mean Simple Messaging Service.

MMS is the same as Picture/Video messaging or messages that include graphics or sounds.

SMS is simply text messages. They include text and not much else.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?