1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

I have some questions about LG VX8600 ringtones and pictures...

Discussion in 'LG' started by Caffeineninja, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Caffeineninja

Caffeineninja New Member

I recently bought an LG VX8600 and a 2 GB microSD card to go with it, as I intended to store all of my music on it.
    I don't have any extra features such as texting, chat, email, or anything but standard calling, and I'd rather not have to pay extra for anything is I could help it.
    Is there a way to set music to be your ringtone? All of the theories I've tried to read up on on these forums involve texting/emailing/etc, and that is something I don't have.
    I have the music on my phone, but I don't know how to set it as a ringtone.

Additionally... I'm curious as to how to transfer pictures from my phone to my computer. If I connect my LG VX8600 to my computer via a USB cable, (I also have the music kit) all that shows up as being on either the phone or the memory card is music.

While I'm at it, is there any way to transfer pictures from computer to phone?

One more question, to anyone that has a memory card for their phone...
    As mentioned, I bought a 2 GB microSD card for my phone, and it came with a small microSD card that was inserted into the phone for memory, as intended, and also a larger card that seems to fit into the SD slot on my scanner (Which is connected to my computer via USB... I have a laptop.)
    However, upon inserting this card into afforementioned SD slot, error messages come up. I essentially have no idea what this card is for.

I know it's a lot of questions, but... can anyone please help me with anything? :confused:

› See More: I have some questions about LG VX8600 ringtones and pictures...
  2. Caffeineninja

Caffeineninja New Member

Please? =\

3. reader

reader Guest

EDITED: UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS

If you haven't already done so, go to "Help" in the Verizon Music Essentials Manager Software and click on "Check for Updates." Download the latest version.

Music as Ringtones.

Rip a file to .WAV and use Audacity (free) to shorten it and fade in/out at the beginning and end of the file. You only want about 20 seconds.

Export that file as MP3. Be mindful of the bitrate, use something reasonable like 64kb/s unless you want a huge file.

Rename the file myfile.mp3 to myfile.mid

...in order for it to be recognized as a ringtone.

Use BitPim to upload the ringtone to your phone. It can go on the phone's internal memory. You can use BitPim to update and save your contact list, download photos and videos from the phone to your computer and vice versa.

In BitPim, go to Filesystem (You may need to click "View" on the top menu and then click on "View Filesystem" for the filesystem icon to be displayed.)

In the pane with the blue folder, click the "+" key and navigate to...

/brew/16452/lk/mr

Upload myfile.mid there by dragging and dropping it into the window with the other .mid files.

AUDACITY

Audacity: Download

See the Audacity Help Files. Download a copy of the LAME encoder

LAME Mirrors

BitPim

Welcome to BitPim

Finally, that "little card" you're talking about is an adapter.

You insert your microSD card into the larger SD card so it can be inserted in a flash reader (connected to your computer.) You are getting an error message because there's no card in the adapter when you plug it into your flash reader, I suspect. :rolleyes:

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2007
  4. Caffeineninja

Caffeineninja New Member

Wooow... O_O
    Thanks so much!! :D
    I'll try it right away...

5. reader

reader Guest

There's another way to do this using your microSD card.

1. Navigate in BitPim to the Filesystem directory:

/mmc1

2. Opposite click on that directory and select 'Make New subdirectory' -- when the dialogue box pops up, enter:

ringers

3. Now, navigate down to your new ringers subdirectory. There will be nothing in BitPim's file view, but opposite click there and select 'New File' and when the dialogue box pops up, point to the ringtone.mp3 file you created as a ringer. (You do NOT have to rename the file to .mid)

That file will be copied into the /mmc1/ringers directory.

4. In BitPim, click on 'GET Phone Data.' When the dialogue box pops up, select Ringtones and click 'OK'

5. Next, click 'SEND Phone Data.' Again, when the dialogue box pops up, select 'Ringtones' and 'Add.' Press 'OK' to send the phone data.

Now, when you open up 'Get It Now' and 'Music and Ringtones' you should see your filename(s) listed among the ringtones that can be assigned.

BitPim puts a tiny 8 byte link on your internal phone memory. This is a good method to save space on that internal memory.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2007
  6. renJay

renJay New Member

I tried both of these ways .. and NEITHER of them worked.
    BIT PIM won't get or send data to my phone.
    It gives the following "exception" error:

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?