1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

International Student looking for a good cheap Verizon smartphone plan

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by mjkman, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mjkman

mjkman New Member

Hey guys

I'm an international student who will be going to USA in 10 days. I have been looking at Verizon plans (best network in my university) and I want to get a smartphone with data. I am not sure if I should buy a smartphone from my home country and take it there so that I can get a prepaid connection or if I should opt for a contract deal. I am planning to take a family plan with my girlfriend there but I am not sure how that works if I buy my phone and take it. If it helps, I will obtain a SSN very soon when I reach USA (my college is going to allocate on-campus work).

Please let me know !

› See More: International Student looking for a good cheap Verizon smartphone plan

2. tanya16

tanya16 New Member

I am an international student from England and my university started a week ago. I was looking for a phone service and my roommate said she bought her phone from gsmnation.com. After researching all the options I found that the cheapest and the most convenient way is to buy your cellphone and a prepaid contract-free plan. I called the customer service (they have an amazing service) at gsmnation.com and they helped me find the perfect match between my budget and my needs. I ended up buying a smartphone from them because they offered the most competitive pricing.

The main problem with Verizon, at&t and other contract services is that they need a social security number to enroll into a contract. It usually takes about a month for internationals to get their social security number so if you plan to get a contract phone, you will have to wait a few weeks. The major service providers also require a $400 security deposit if you do not have a credit history in the US, which most international students do not have. Also, once you buy a contract phone you can only terminate your contract by paying hundreds of dollars in termination fee. These services even charge you a fee if you want to suspend your connection over the summer.

I bought my phone with a sim for 99 cents and a connection with unlimited minutes, texts and data plan for only $40. I couldn’t have gotten a better deal. A senior in my college said he has saved almost a thousand dollars by buying a new phone and a contract-free plan.
  3. Hildretech

Hildretech Cell Phone Vendor

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?