1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to use music on my VX9800 as ringtones?

Discussion in 'LG' started by bhalfhide, Jul 6, 2006.

1. bhalfhide

bhalfhide New Member

i have a memory card and a usb cable to put music and i dont want to pay for ringtones, is there anyway possible to use any music i already have as ringtones?

› See More: Is it possible to use music on my VX9800 as ringtones?
  2. BadBoy5537

BadBoy5537 New Member

u will have to be able to trim the songs and have a data cable

3. mike1533

mike1533 New Member

Here's what I use for my vx700, vx8100 and 9800-

1-Data cable (or Bluetooth-cable is easier)
    2-Verizon music driver. Needed so your computer will recognize your phone, available from Verizon for free, also comes with Verizon music package.
    3-Memory card and reader
    4-Ringtone software-I use "ringtone maker"
    5-Limewire program
    6-Bitpim program (bitpim.com)

Install the bitpim program (free) and it has great tutorials on how to get started. Bitpim is for transferring/retrieving data to/from your phone. As far as the ringers go, you need to make your ringers with the ringtone software and use bitpim to transfer them to your phone. It is rather complicated at first, but I was able to figure it out after trial and error in a couple of hours. I hate reading manuals, so I kinda played around until I was able to figure it out. Good luck!

4. bhalfhide

bhalfhide New Member

You said to use a ringtone software, and that you use ringtone maker. where can i get software like this. Also is this software for converting mp3's to midi or wma or w.e the phone uses

5. mike1533

mike1533 New Member

Roger on the conversions. I got mine at Best Buy for 20 bucks. Search online for "ringtone software", as there are several different kinds.

6. mattnowicky

mattnowicky New Member

i used a free online p2p downloader

7. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

I use Audacity...it's totally free and does a fantastic job of both converting, ripping, and resizing ringtones to use on your phone.

The 9800 can use short clips from a mp3 as it's ringtones. Instead of me going into all that it takes to put ringtones on the phone, why don't I just give you this link that will explain how to do it and so much more.

http://cellphoneforums.net/lg/t215510-lg-vx9800-guide.html

8. Mrfixit49

Mrfixit49 New Member

this is my first post and I think this site is great.:)

I have just upgraded my VX9800 to V5 software, I have downloaded bitpim and Audacity which are great programs, but can I make my own ringtones with the Ver 5 software from Verizon?? Other forum's suggest that they (Verizon) have blocked the old method of installing your own ringtones.

any help would be greatly appericated. thanks.

9. mike1533

mike1533 New Member

I made ringers for my phone before I upgraded my software to V5. I previously had V3. The only difference now with using BitPim is once I send my ringers to my phone, I can't retrieve them through BitPim any more. I was able to do this with the previous SW version. I still have no problems sending ringers to my phone with the V5 software.

10. Mrfixit49

Mrfixit49 New Member

do i have to create a folder on the miniSD card and just move the ringtones to that folder? and how long can a ringtone be? this is my first time installing ringtones.. help is appericated. thanks.

11. mike1533

mike1533 New Member

Try this first to get the hang of things. Plug your card reader with your card in it into a USB port on your computer. Close the window that pops up "Removable Disk (E:)". Download some ringtones from Limewire. After downloading, you will be able to play them in Windows Media Player. Left click on the ringtone file and select: send to, Removable disk (E:). This will save the tone on your memory card. Then go to my computer and select removable disk. Drag the ringtone file to your My MP3 folder. Now you can play the ringtone on your phone through the MP3 player. Next plug your phone in to your computer with the USB cable. Make sure the phone is recognized. Then open Bitpim. Click on add ringer. Select look in-removable disk-my MP3. You will see a list of your MP3s and your ringers that you have on your card. Find the file you want, then double click on it. It is now ready to be converted with bitpim. After it is converted, move it to your ringers section. Then add the ringer to your phone. It is now ready to go. To make your own ringers from MP3s, you need ringtone software. I bought mine because it is simple to use and I'm not much of a computer person. I make my ringers 32 seconds long max. Once you figure it out, you will have alot of fun making your own ringers. Your options are pretty much unlimited, and it's all free. This is just a suggestion based on the way I learned to do it. It works well for me and seems to be the easiest.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?