1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Is The LG Dare Considered A PDA? And Require A PDA Data Plan?

Discussion in 'LG Dare' started by the2ndflood, Aug 28, 2008.

1. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

I'm not a big fan of Touch-Screen-Only devices, but the LG Dare seems to have some good qualities. So I was wondering if Verizon charges customers extra for a PDA-Type data plan? Or can you still use the $15 VCast package? I'm just not sure what the Dare is considered. I'm guessing it is considered a regular phone, seeing as the OS is proprietary, but I want to make sure.

› See More: Is The LG Dare Considered A PDA? And Require A PDA Data Plan?
  2. aepple

aepple New Member

I know the DARE is not a PDA, and i personally don't consider it smart phone when compared to (example) Blackberry which has java,fax, and HTML just to name few.

Vpak is the way to go if you like sending/receiving pic and videos by message/email. √erizon does charge data (KB usage) and if you have the Vpak there unlimited data usage.

I'm not a tech or sales rep, so i could only give you my 25 cent answer..lol

https://products.vzw.com/index.aspx?id=fnd_toolsApps_vpak

3. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

Thanks Aepple! That is what I thought. Smart-Devices run an advanced OS like PalmOS, iPhone OS, Blackberry OS, Windows Mobile, ect. The DARE seems to be running LG's proprietary OS. But I wanted to make sure.

4. Mark_Venture

Mark_Venture New Member

The Dare, Voyager, Glyde and Chocolate 3 are considered "Enhanced Web Browser Devices" because their browser supports Basic HTML rather than just WAP/WML like regular "dumb" phones.

They are also considered Feature Phones because they have things like cameras, touch screen, music players, picture editing features, etc.

Just like any other "dumb" phone, you don't need a special data plan.

However, with the current Nationwide Plans charging data usage as $1.99 per MB (rounded up to the next whole MB), it is strongly suggested you subscribe to Verizon's VCast Vpack which includes unlimited data usage and access to Vcast Videos.

At $15 per month, it pays for itself if you use more than 7 Meg of data in one month.

Phones that run Palm OS, Windows Mobile or Blackberry are considered Smart Phones. They do require a data plan choice.

For Blackberry that choice could be $29.99 Email/Web for BB (Personal use plan with unlimited data, aka BIS data plan), $44.95 Blackberry Unlimited Plan (same as the $29.99 plan but also allows you to connect up to your corporate Blackberry Enterprise Server). There is also a $24.99 plan to use Verizon's Email SYnc program but its limited to 10MB data per month and really not worth it.

For Palm or Windows Mobile.. there is $0.00 per month "Pay as you Go" where you pay per MB used each month, $24.99 Email Sync (limited to 10MB data, and uses Verizon's program), $29.99 Email/Web for Smart phone (provides everything a personal user wants, and unlimited data, but available only on certain model phones), or $44.95 Unlimited data (same as the $29.99 plan, but also supports Exchange ActiveSync with your corporate email server, and is available for any Palm/WM phone.

5. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

Yeah I have the $15 VCast. The VCast package is much less of a great value with a "Dumb" phone as you put it though. WAP Internet is very, very limited. Google Mobile can translate some web sites into WAP, but it is still not worth it. If Verizon didn't offer any HTML phones, I wouldn't have switched, because I use the Internet daily. I just wonder if Verizon is going to keep on offer HTML, or go back to limiting customers with their horrible Walled Garden! WAP is just so pathetic is the scheme of the Internet! It's like going from an HDTV With Satellite service, to a Black-and-White TV, with God Network and Telemundo. Which if anyone has every owned a TV without cable, those are the channels that seem to come in best no matter what. So I can't go back to WAP :!:

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?