1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

How-to Keep your unlimited data plan on Verizon

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by jdeg, Apr 17, 2013.

1. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

If you currently have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on Verizon and you wish to keep it, there are several things you have to keep in mind to prevent Verizon from automatically switching your data plan to their tiered system:

1. You cannot renew your contract and get a discount on a new phone. In other words, you must purchase a new phone outright without renewing your contract. You can do this via eBay or Amazon.
    2. If you are on a Family Share plan, you cannot upgrade to a "Share Everything" plan (where different lines share the same data pool)
    3. You CAN go from 3g to 4g unlimited data. There is no difference between the two data types.

If you have a family plan, and have unlimited data on one line, and another line is eligible for an upgrade, you can upgrade that phone and then switch the same phone to the line with unlimited data. Just make sure that you aren't going from 3g to 4g. You must activate the phone on the line it was originally intended for first, and then switch it to the unlimited data line! Before you do this you must reactivate the original phone that was on that line. See here for info on switching phones.

So the process would go like this:
    1. Get phone for line that has an upgrade available (one without unlimited data)
    2. Activate the new phone on that same line
    3. Switch the original phone back to that line
    4. Activate the new phone on unlimited data line
    5. Do happy dance

Keep in mind that Verizon may charge you a phone upgrade fee, which is currently $30. A call to customer service may wave this fee.

› See More: Keep your unlimited data plan on Verizon
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. jackbro64

jackbro64 New Member

Hi, We have two bionics on a family plan. Both are eligible for upgrades now, and our contract ends in October. We both need new phones (actually needed from the beginning, bionics suck!), so can we both just purchase new phones, add to account? What happens in October? If we do nothing, doesn't contract expire, and we lose out?

3. jdeg

Lose out on what? A discounted phone? Yes, you would, but if you renew you 'take the bait' and get a discounted phone/new contract then you will lose your unlimited data plan. The problem is, like I said above, you have to get phones outright, which could mean paying $500 each or more, depending on what you want.

4. jackbro64

jackbro64 New Member

OK, I don't mind buying a phone outright, I just meant would we lose out anyway at the end of the contract. As long as that holds true they are bound, I'll keep buying phones. Thanks! :) Now, I'm just not sure about the process. In step 1. "Get phone for line that has an upgrade available (one without unlimited data)". Not sure what that means. Don't we just activate our purchased phones? Sorry to be a pin, but I want to do this right the first time.

5. jdeg

This is only if you want to get one new phone and only one line has an upgrade. Since you have two upgrades available this doesn't apply.

6. mopedlady

mopedlady New Member

I currently have a family plan with 2 lines, one has unlimited data. The unlimited line is eligible for an upgrade but I will lose unlimited if I upgrade. A verizon rep told me to buy a phone full price on the OTHER line which is NOT due for upgrade. So that's what I did. When I get the new phone do I have to activate it on the line I bought it under 1st and then switch it to the unlimited line? or can I just activate it onthe unlimited line?

7. Chris

Chris New Member

If you use a lot of data, and many people do, then it's totally worth it. Just get your average data use for the month and calculate it out for the 2 years against the cost of the phones.

8. SEMiller

SEMiller New Member

What about the SIM card? I want to do this with an iPhone 5s, placing the phone on a dumb phone line and transferring it to my unlimited data line. However, the iPhone will come with a SIM card programmed for the other line. How do I handle this?

9. jdeg

You shouldn't have to worry about the SIM since Verizon does the provisioning based on ESN. In other words, leave the sim card in the iPhone. The dumb phone probably won't have one anyway since only 4g lte phones on Verizon have SIMs.

10. SEMiller

SEMiller New Member

Yes, that is correct., you do nothing with the SIM card.

The happy ending to my story is I called customer service and told them what I wanted to do, ie activate the phone on my dumb line and the transfer it to my unlimited data line. The CSR was more then happy to assist me, fully understood what I wanted to accomplish (including assuring me I was not losing my unlimited data, telling me to lug into my verizon before she hung up to verify that) and the whole process took about 15 minutes.

It was unexpectedly easy and truly awesome. I gotta say verizon rocked it on this one.

Now, the real question is is verizon going to do away with this loophole or throw in the towel and allow those of us with grandfathered plans to simply get our new phones and keep our plans (maybe as a reward for loyalty). I suspect it's the former, and probably sooner rather then later.

I guess it's wait and see.

11. Littlek

Littlek New Member

I have an unlimited grandfathered plan with Verizon. At this time, I have 2 smart phones, one dumb phone, and one wifi card. I have purchased phones to upgrade the smart phones and have moved them to my account with no issues. My problem now is the wifi which is an older model which no longer picks up well. I purchased a new one online for $50 and tried to add it to my account and had to have Verizon send me a SIM card. With that done I am still unable to sync the SIM card to my account. When I requested the sim, I was told I would be able to do this change with no changes to my plan. Now the rep I spoke with today told me that I can't because it is a 4g device and the plan is a 3G plan! I don't understand! The smartphones I have are 4g. Anyone else have this problem or have an idea how I can solve it?

12. sims

sims New Member

littlek you mean a mifi? if so the only mifi compatible with a 3g plan is a mifi 2200 if you mean a usb dongle there are many to chose from including the um175vw and the usb760 also if your old device has a sim card in it then it is 4g just move the sim card over to the new device however if your old device does NOT have a sim card (or a place to put one) then you have a 3g device on a 3g plan which verizon will not allow you to upgrade to a 4g device...however since you have unlimited data on the 4g phones you can just take the sim card out of one of them and use it in the 4g device you purchased

13. Littlek

Littlek New Member

Thanks Sims for the advice. I have an old phone which was previously on the account and tried to use it in the new mifi, but it will not connect. When trying to log into the internet using my laptop with this 4g jetpack with the SIM card of my old droid phone inside, I was immediately sent to the sign in page for verizon mobile broadband. If I log in using my account information it prompts me to change my plan!! Uggghh! I'm not sure why I can't just upgrade the device like I have my phones in the past without changing my plan. Guess yet another way to get money...charging per gig. If you have any suggestions or know what I'm doing wrong, please let me know.

14. sims

sims New Member

on my 3g card the plan shows to be "BSP UNLIMITED PLAN" its $59.99 a month verizon will not allow me to upgrade this to 4g

people that have unlimited 4g air cards show to have the "4G MOBILE BROADBAND UNLIM" plan (also $59.99)
    As far as I know all smart phone plans that include data whether GB plan or unlimited data will both work in 4g mifi's and 4g USB dongles without ANY setup but no you can't use a inactive sim to activate a 3G plan if you want to try out the 4g jetpack take the sim out of one of your working smart phones that has data (hotspot is not needed) and put it in the jetpack it should work fine you can swap sim's as often as you like without having to call verizon

I would still advise you to check and see what plan your mifi is on if its not a 4g plan you will have to replace your 3G device with another 3G device to keep unlimited

15. Littlek

Littlek New Member

Thanks again. Problem now is that the sim in the smart phones are smaller than what fits in the mifi. Just my luck! I have no clue what if anything I can do now. Will check my plan tomorrow, but I fear it's the bps plan.

16. sims

sims New Member

the cheapest solution is to get a sim adapter set like a noosy 3 in 1 set costs between $2 and $3 on ebay just be sure and get one shipped out of somewhere in the usa shipping from china can sometimes take over 2 weeks

17. Laker Fan

Laker Fan New Member

Anyone got an update on a way to still keep their ulimited data on Verizon and get an upgraded phone at a 2 year price. I can't find anything on it since they ended with 2 year plans for people that go with the newer contracts. I'm wanting to get an iphone 6s Plus so I'm hoping someone can help me out with anything they have heard or even tried and the outcome. Thanks

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?