1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

LG Chocolate. I have a question (currently in Korea)

Discussion in 'LG Chocolate' started by FreshKorean, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreshKorean

FreshKorean New Member

Hey guys. I saw the chocolate phone here and I was in love. lol. Im most likely going to buy it, but does it work in america??? I dont understand the process. Im currently a t-mobile user and was wondering how I can make this phone work. thanks guys

› See More: LG Chocolate. I have a question (currently in Korea)
  2. Brad729

Brad729 New Member

If you're talking about the Korean CDMA version, the answer is No. If you are in fact talking about the GSM version of the Chocolate, the KG800, the answer is still kind of "iffy". What I mean is, the phone is a European/Asian tri-band, meaning it lacks the GSM 850mhz band which is crucial for T-Mobile's roaming network. You will have good T-Mobile coverage since they only use 1900mhz, but if you EVER leave T-Mobile's coverage area, you probably won't have any coverage at all since 850mhz is used so much by other carriers here. Everybody roams from time to time even with good coverage, but instead of roaming you'll probably just go to "no service" during those times. :(

Also, if you decide to bring the chocolate phone to the states, make sure it isn't locked to a foreign carrier BEFORE you leave the country. :p

3. FreshKorean

FreshKorean New Member

what subscription do u prefer? singular? sprint? etc. thanks a lot.

4. Brad729

Brad729 New Member

The question is not about carrier, T-Mobile is a great company and I know they have excellent coverage around Jacksonville, just not when you travel out of town. Cingular is a GSM provider that uses mostly 850mhz, so they would be no good to you either way. I like Sprint a lot, but so many people seem to hate them I guess it just depends on where you live.

Sadly, I'm beating around the bush to tell you, American CDMA providers like Sprint, Verizon, or Alltel refuse to activate a foreign CDMA phone because it won't be fully recognized on their network and therefore will have intermittent problems of not working. Sorry. :(

It is a nice phone, it just wouldn't work very well in the states. :blush:

5. nimx

nimx New Member

my friend at school showed off her Chocolate phone several weeks ago and it was verizon activated. stupid girl makin me all jealous. That's what made me want it so bad. But i guess we'll all have a shot at getting the chocolate fone now...even though the korean version with the heat/touch activated buttons look a lot snazzier than the ipod wheel thing.

6. Brad729

Brad729 New Member

You're talking about the VX8500, this thread was about the Korean Chocolate (KG800). :D

LG VX8500 is Verizon’s Chocolate phone (phoneArena)

7. nimx

nimx New Member

nope. I'm talkin about the original Chocolate phone, the LG800, sometimes branded as Cyon like it was on hers. She got hers from a korean dealer in downtown LA. But it was compatible with Verizon perfectly fine.

8. Brad729

Brad729 New Member

Okay if you say so, but I feel like I've gotta tell you something. Korean CDMA handsets are either 800 MHz (SK Telecom) or 1700 MHz (LGT and KT Freetel). In the United States, our CDMA networks use 800mhz and 1900mhz, and Verizon relies very heavily on the 1900mhz band. So, your friend's phone has been modded to look like a chocolate, but it's not a real chocolate. It's probably a similar LG model's mobo inside the chocolate's faceplates. Outside of Korea, the chocolate phones being sold are GSM so there's no way it's one of those, either. Hope this clears up the confusion. :D

9. nimx

nimx New Member

All i know is that she's got this phone:
    http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/vgs_riki/imgs/0/a/0af7e849.jpg

not this one:
    http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/06/lg_vs8500_chocolate.jpg

speaking of which, will the vx8500 also have touch/heat activated buttons?

Anyways, going back...accoridng to your post then, my friend must have a modded k800 then. But in downtown LA, chocolate phones are selling for $150 or $50 with a 2-year subscription with Verizon. Who cares about the innards anyways, a chocolate phones a chocolate phone.

10. Korean_Boi

Korean_Boi New Member

lol a chocolate phone is not a chocolate phone

korean cdma phones may look similiar but inside is a totally different story

such as,

as u mention the KG800 does have a touch sensitive pad compared to the vx8500's regular buttons

they r both sliders, same looking interface

i was quite surprised

they almost do look the same!

i guess the kg800 is suppose to state some kind of fashion statement with that kind of name chocolate

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.