1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Info Lg Dare bitpim

Discussion in 'LG Dare' started by Trbomp5, Jul 11, 2008.

1. kchida

kchida New Member

Dude, I have the same problem. I tried Bitpim 1.06 and 1.07. I keep getting an empty root.zip file. There's also no indication that bitpim is doing anything (i.e. no hourglass or anything). What gives!!!???

› See More: Lg Dare bitpim
  2. Cody21

Cody21 Member

There are 2 options: Backup Directory and Backup Entire Tree ....

If you click on the \BREW directory to expand it, try then clcking on Backup Directory. I don't have my phone hooked up right now, but I know what you're experiencing when you see the 0kb zip file... If that doesn;t work for you, report back and I'll hook mine up and go through the process to confirm.

One thing I would recommend is to remove your SD Card if you have it loaded with images and music. This will cut down on the time required to back up your "entire tree" if that's what you select. Mine is loaded with video, pics, and mp3 files and takes nearly 3 hours to complete if I allow the SD Card to be included in the "tree"..

3. kchida

kchida New Member

I'm actually trying to back up the entire root directory in an effort to maintain the directory tree structure (i.e. trying to capture empty folders as well). The log indicates that a read error occurs when it gets to mmc1, which is the microSD card. I don't have one installed, so it gets confused (SW bug?); I'd think that many more people would've experienced the problem by now.

Anyhow, i was able to fix by clearing out the one and only 2gb microSD card that I own and inserting into the Dare. As you mentioned, it takes way too long to back up the contents of the microSD card, so I intentionally erased the data. The microSD card seemed to fix the error in the log.

BTW, I spent 3 hours searching for a solution on Google! I came across at least 5 threads about the same problem but zero solutions. My makeshift solution will have to do for now.

4. gordonh8r

gordonh8r New Member

I keep getting this unable to locate component message....msvcp71.dll

has anyone else had this problem while installing bitpim?

5. MLSAJ84

MLSAJ84 New Member

I haven't had that problem yet but I am having tons of issues with bitpim it found my phone and now it's saying that it can't find the com port. Good luck!! Maybe you should uninstall and re-install, don't know if it would work but maybe worth a shot.

6. Cody21

Cody21 Member

You should go check out the BitPim web site. That error apparently is happening for a lot of people. The latest version of BitPim does not include that .dll file - is is some Windows file and is likely missing (for whatever reason) on your computer. And like previous mentioned, if BitPim ever worked for you, try uninstalling & reinstalling. That fixed a problem I was having with my Calendar import.

7. gordonh8r

gordonh8r New Member

I uninstalled and reinstalled twice...and I copied my BitPim file from another computer that it works on and I still get the same message.....and the other computer works fine?????

8. Cody21

Cody21 Member

Go here and look for the thread about missing MSVCP71.DLL ... that will explain the issue and maybe give you an idea on how to fix it.

Gmane Loom

9. Phone_Whisper

Phone_Whisper New Member

The newest Bitpim is ver:1.0.7.20081215.. this works great with the dare you do not have to manually install any other phone it will automaticly detect the dare and the problem with the file system on the older verison is that the directory is "/" not "\".. so for all of you that are have problems you should get the latest verison and you should not have any problems after that.

10. Cody21

Cody21 Member

Agreed .... I downloaded the latest version a couple of days ago.. Works just fine. Have yet to encounter any problenms with it.

11. gordonh8r

gordonh8r New Member

Were can you find that version ?

When I go to the BitPim site it has a newer version?

12. TELAR

TELAR New Member

Initial BitPim Transfer

Hope I'm not a dope. Didn't see a place to start a new question. Only excuse: geezer
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

First, I have never used a hack of any kind before. Second, think there is no Verizon approved information exchange between my phone and my computer(s). All their software does is allow me to connect to their approved web sites to buy their and their associate's stuff. Thus, the reason for BitPim's existence. Right so far?

I have both a Mac and PCs. Trying to get the Mac/BitPim/Dare combo working first. This is a Bluetooth process. I THINK that the Mac and Dare are communicating, at least sometimes. Again, first Bluetooth experience. (I don't want to ever be seen with a Bluetooth "earring" and haven't bought the Bluetooth mouse yet.)

After a lot of false starts BitPim seems to recognize the phone and the phone seems to recognize the Mac. (Oh, for the initial exchange should I have the BitPim setting to "Block Writing Anything To The Phone"?) I press the Get Data button. The dialog box appears and I check all the available left boxes and corresponding Replace Alls. I press Okay. Usually the red dot appears. Sometimes the progress bar progresses. Sometimes it progresses multiple times. Sometimes I get the "failed to change mode to brew" (paraphrase).

How long should the initial exchange take?

I have more questions but lets get this far first.

BTW, I really ******* appreciate everybody sharing their knowledge. On any computer related forum I will mostly be one of the "askers". Just not where my expertise lies. I AM an "answerer" on a SCUBA forum. :cool:

13. JFBr

JFBr New Member

Anybody know if its possible to set Free Nav with Telus Mobility in Quebec, i have read the procedure for Verizon but i think its not teh samething. Thinks

14. brn06

brn06 New Member

i have a question im new as well on here i have an lg dare and since i dont have the app to back up could someone please send it to my email to backup its brn06pvu
    @yahoo.com i mean cant you do it like that im already familiar with bitpim i could just get it out of my email and send it straight to bitpim huh

15. aapp3

aapp3 New Member

i've had my lg dare for a few months and i LOVE it. the only problem is that i'm having trouble downloading pictures from my phone to my pc. i have a usb cable for the phone...but i want to be able to do this without buying a memory card because i haven't found that i really need it (i have 300+ pictures...about 30 videos) so the phone memory isnt really a problem for me. i know i could send the pictures via email but i have about 200 pictures i need transfered and that doesnt seem like the best way..

any way i can do this without a card?

:)

16. Cody21

Cody21 Member

"do this without buying a memory card because i haven't found that i really need it (i have 300+ pictures...about 30 videos)" ...

you're kidding, right? Have you checked how much of your main card is being used with all that data? The on-board cards are pretty small - less than 256mb ... vs. the 4GB and 8GB cards which are relatively sooo cheap.

IMHO, an external 2nd card is so much easier to deal with. You just unplug it and insert it in a reader in your computer. Also the transfer of pics/videos/music is soooo much faster than connecting your DARE via the cable.

17. aapp3

aapp3 New Member

alright..i'll probably be getting one of those soon. but also what about bitpim...i dont know much about it and im kinda confused about it..? sorry i have a lot of questions and i'm not very tech-savvy :/

18. Cody21

Cody21 Member

You don't need BitPim at all if you're simply moving/managing MP3s, Pics, or Videos. The 2nd card will have a specific set of folders on it that you will just drag & drop items into or delete out of. You only need BitPim if you need to actually go into the Phone's main internal card to modify (or hack) it's system folders. Get the 2nd card. You'll be much happier, really. And make sure you have a way to read that 2nd card directly on your computer. e.g., My HP Laptop actually has a 'reader' slot in it. I just unplug the micro card from my Dare and insert it into my laptop - it gets autmoatically read and I just drag & drop stuff right onto it, remove it, and re-insert in my Dare, and restart my phone.

19. wheeee

wheeee New Member

ack help! im new here and i just got my LG dare from telus recently. ive been trying to link it to bitpim but it doesnt work :( can anyone help?

20. deeznuts

deeznuts New Member

I'm in the same boat as the guy over me lol. I've had my dare for awhile, but this is the first time I've tried to do anything beyond send pics over the bluetooth. I downloaded bitpim 1.0.7.20090303, and went to the phone wizard and selected the dar, then I tried to detect the phone using the bluetooth "pda sync" I think it was called, but it failed. I went back and switched it to the 9100 phone (is this unnecessary with the new bitpim test release?), and it failed again. I guess I'll try with my usb cable, but getting it to work with bluetooth would be ideal.

Anyone have any trouble shooting suggestions for a noob? Any help or insight is surely appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?