1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Info LG Dare music player

Discussion in 'LG Dare' started by y0itsj0hn, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Gzopete

Gzopete New Member

Everything is in the same Directory

UPDATE: Mystery Solved! It seems that the phone was creating a duplicate phantom file. Reason I was able to play the music from the card with a Stick reader is the file was fine and in good shape. It took me a few hours of messing around with the "BAD" files but i figured it out. Trial and Error. :)

I tried it myself and they transfer just fine. Making a file into a MP3 makes the file bigger as far as i know. And I thought the AAC file had better quality?

› See More: LG Dare music player
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. JBLeve

JBLeve New Member

I am sorry, it wasn't the aac files I have trouble with. This alphabet soup always gets me. It's the aiff files. That's the one I have to drag through garageband to turn into mp3 files. I tried an aac file, it worked fine. Thanks GZoPete. Oops, well it started with an "a", I was sort of close.

So, that's how I get aiff files to play on my Dare.

JB

3. theDan8

theDan8 New Member

Hey guys,
    For those of you who used iTunes to simply drag and drop into your music folder, did you guys find that any of your song names/artist names were altered? I haven't tried it myself yet, but I don't want to dump all my music on there and have them show up in the lame 01_artist_song_title format.
    And has anyone found a solution for the 256 song shuffle problem? I'm still uploading my first batch of songs on my Dare right now so I haven't had the opportunity to encounter this problem, but it seems like this is a HUGE set back.

Thanks,
    theDan

4. Gzopete

Gzopete New Member

Seems that most of my music is zapped. I had to go thru and rename my files by removing the 01 02 03 etc. Most of my album art is gone. and most of my file info is gone. I'm not sure why, It doesn't seem to be that big of a deal since I know my music and who looks at album art?

5. bballfanatic60

bballfanatic60 New Member

I am having trouble putting many songs on my LG Dare i put some on but it says that i am out of room and i only put 28 songs on it

6. Gzopete

Gzopete New Member

How are you putting the music are you phone?
    Do you have a Micro SD card? If so are you using a card reader?

7. windstrings

windstrings New Member

Music files can be saved in many different sizes. Most record thier files at 128kb/sec "or even less". I prefer 320kb/sec. The compression algorythms also matter based on just how "compressed" the song is determines its final size.

If you are saving to the memory on the phone its pretty easy to eat the memory up pretty fast. You should really be saving all your songs on your memory stick that goes in the side slot in the upper left side.

Many of my songs are 9 to 13 mb in size....you only have a total of 128mb in your phone.
    The phone programs, ringtones, pictures, movies etc can easily eat up somewhere around 25 to 30mb before you even get started saving songs.

I'm guessing your songs are somewhere around the 128kb/sec in quality, otherwise you wouldn't have even gotten 28 songs on the internal memory.

You actually did pretty good.

If this is the case, simply buy a 4, 8, or even 16 gig memory card for your phone.

Just in case your not familiar with how much storage this really opens up to your phone, I'll run over the numbers.

1. Your phone has a max capacity of 128mb
    2. One Gig equals 1000mb
    4. An 8 gig memory card added to your phone gives you 8000 mb!!!

I have two 40 minute movies 640 X 480, plus many other smaller ones... almost 400 pictures, lots of music and many sounds....I still have tons of memory left on my 8 gig card.

8. Gzopete

Gzopete New Member

Windstrings

I have played around using bluetooth seem no matter what I do it dumps songs into the phones memory and not the card. Do you know a way to access the sd cards memory for upload to the phone. I haven't had any problems retrieving pictures and videos from the sd card via bluetooth.

Also i've been stumped by some "ringtones" that just won't send to my phone. I've sent the file in many different formats mp3 get changed by the phone or by verizon to a mp4 and won't play. These strange file play just fine on Quicktime player and itunes. I am attaching the files to an email and sending them to the phone.

Any Ideas?

9. bballfanatic60

bballfanatic60 New Member

I was just taking my itunes songs and dragging them into rhapsody then i plugged my dare into rhapsody and i dragged the music from rhapsody into the device and i can only store 28 songs.....maybe you should know that i havnt done anything to my dare like add gigs or anythin like that i dont even know what you guys are talkin about with the sim card stuff

10. Gzopete

Gzopete New Member

The sim card stuff is,

A removable memory card that slides into the Dare allowing you to have tons of storage space. Mirco SD card is a must if you are going to use you Dare as a music player. You can store tons of pictures and videos as well.

If you are on a budget you can start with a smaller card with two gigs. I think less then $20 bucks at walmart. When I say small 2 gigs isn't small you can put a lot of music on 2 gigs and still have space for pictures.

My first hard drive only had 30 megs of space. My first laptop only had 100megs of space and that was a lot back then. My First dial up internet account that you could surf like we do today was $49.00 a month for PPP.

So 2 gigs isn't small
    I have 425 songs and over 275 pictures 40 videos and only using 1.9 gigs

Don't forget to buy a card reader they are very cheap and can be used for all styles of memory cards.

11. two_stars

two_stars New Member

Drag and drop? Lovely... TO WHERE?
    i'm plugging my dare directly into my pc with the usb cable... nothing happens. nothing opens up, i connect it, and then cant seem to interface with it in any way shape or form... what am i supposed to do?

people have mentioned a software CD that comes with the dare... uhh what? mine didnt have one.

i'm getting really angry that i cant seem to transfer anything to or from my phone.

help me, oh wise people of the forum

12. Cody21

Cody21 Member

The CD that comes with the DARE is for the RHAPSODY Music interface. Personally, I don't use it because I don't want to subscripe (PAY) for MP3's from RHAPSODY.

There is no other software that comes with the phone - other than a device driver so that when you DO connect it via the USB, your computer will SEE it. But nothing else. If you want to manipulate the items on your INTERNAL SD card on the phone, you need to install BitPim. If you have a secondary (External) SD Card, you would remove the card from the phone, put in into a Card Reader connected to your computer, and then just drag&drop files into the appropriate folders on that card.

13. windstrings

windstrings New Member

I also don't use the Rhapsody because I don't need it... but its the only way to get the drivers installed that will properly view your phone structure on your computer.

But if all your wanting to do is add music and videos or add sounds etc you can simply take your memory card out and put it into a memory slot in your computers memory reader. "it has to be able to read micro sd"

Thats by far the simplest thing for me.

Remember that once your viewing your card "on your computer" that any music you may have gotton onto the card "like from another phone" will not play unless its in the folder called "my_music".

Also is true for any videos... they must be in the folder called "my_flix"

Any pictures you want needs to be in the folder called "My_pix"

Any sounds you want your phone to be able to use for fun or to send back to your friends or yourself's inbox so you can save them as ringtones must be in the directory called "my_sounds"

Any other directories you can delete for the sake of confusion and space if you like as the Dare will not use them. Any directory it needs, it will create on its own while using the phone. "like the directory called simply "media".
    If you have files in there.. don't delete that directory or you will lose whats in it. If nothing is in it.. no harm done as the Dare will recreate the directory anyway.

Please note, you will not find "ringtones" on your card as they are all stored on your phone.
    Rather than worry about how to view the file structure of your phone... simply put the sound file you want into your sounds directory "my_sounds".

Once you have the card back in your phone you can send the sound you want to yourself by going to
    1. music and tones,
    2. then to my sounds, then
    3. find one of the sounds you want and touch to open and you will see a menu.
    4. Pick "send"
    5. Now send it to yourself.

I created an actual contact in my phone called "my verizon phone upload" for the express purpose of making this easy.
    To do so yourself, make a contact called "my verizon phone upload" and put as the phone number XXX XXX-XXXX@vzwpix.com "no spaces or dashes".

You can send more than one sound at at time if you like too as long as you don't exceed the kb limit of 500kb.

Now when you send to your own telephonenumber@vzwpix.com it will come to your inbox.
    6. Once it arrives there open the message and
    7. hit the options pad on the lower right and you will see an option to save it as a ringtone.
    Once you do that you will then find it in your ringtones as a sound you can assign to a contact as you like.

*Remember if someone else sends you a cool sound for a ringtone... save it as a ringtone, but then go right back into the inbox again and save it also as a sound before it gets deleted.

This way when you finally tradein your phone or it breaks, you will still have that sound on your card to transform into a ringtone again as needed as all your ringtones are stored on your phone and will be lost if thats the only place you have them.

14. theDan8

theDan8 New Member

Try going to "My Music" on your phone, and then hit the sync button on the right. That'll get your computer to realize that it wants to do more than just charge the phone. But it may not work with you because I installed the CD before trying it, but there's a good chance it will because hitting sync doesn't open up a program it just sends that little pop up on your computer saying "you've connected a device with removable hardware"

15. windstrings

windstrings New Member

Dan, I think installing that cd installed the appropriate drivers for the computer to recognize the phone as a viable structure to view.
    Even a thumb drive wouldn't work if the drivers were not already in windows.
    Even so, the drivers for each phone have to be installed as they are not simply thumb drive devices.

I could be wrong... but seems I tried to sync without the cd and it won't work.

16. Jaylo

Jaylo New Member

:)Do you think that there is any need to have the USB drivers for the DARE installed on my PC if I have a SanDisk Mobile Ultra SDHC 8GB card with reader? I installed the USB drivers today that were on the disk that came with my phone, but I don't think they installed properly. I connected my DARE with the SDHC inserted in the phone to my PC and I get a message that the drivers need installed. I removed the driver and then reinstalled it, but I still keep getting the warning. I just thought that it might be easier to leave the SDHC in the phone and then connect the phone to the PC--I thought that all the movement might break the SDHC. I can just use the reader I suppose for transfer of music.

17. Cody21

Cody21 Member

You only need the DRIVER if you plan to connect the DARE directly to the computer with the USB cable - and expect BitPim to 'see' it ... If all you're doing is reading the external SD card via your card reader, then you don't need the DARE driver..

18. Jaylo

Jaylo New Member

That's what I thought. Thank-you!

19. LEASUL2003

LEASUL2003 New Member

Help! I have added music to my music folder on my sd card and made sure it is a root folder but the music is still not showing on my dare. Now what?

20. windstrings

windstrings New Member

What are you calling the root folder?...
    It needs to be in the folder called "my_music"... and that folder needs to be coming off the root.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?