1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Info LG Dare music player

Discussion in 'LG Dare' started by y0itsj0hn, Jul 18, 2008.

1. lemongurlz

lemongurlz New Member

Oh... thanks for all your replies! It helped a lot :)

› See More: LG Dare music player
  2. roper2

roper2 New Member

Hey, i'm new, this thread helped me out a lot with music on my dare. I just figured i'd put in my two cents though. It may have been said already.

You do not need an SD card reader!

- Install the DARE USB drivers using the disc that the phone came with.

-Hook your phone up to your computer.

-On your DARE, go to the Menu, Settings and Tools, Tools, USB Mass Storage

-This should bring up a pop-up on your computer where you can then open the folder as a "Mass Storage Device"

-Drag any MP3's directly into the my_music folder. They cannot be in folders separated by artist, which is something I did wrong my first time.

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate and a Kingston 8GB microSD card.

Thanks everyone :D

3. Cody21

Cody21 Member

Roper - you are correct in that you do NOT need an external SD card ...

However -- big HOWEVER -- you will likely fill up your internal memory card very fast loading it up with music & pics.... External cards are so cheap it just doesn't make a lot of sense not to get one.. That way you can just keep pics & music separate from the cell phone stuff.

IMHO

4. roper2

roper2 New Member

Mine is external... when I do "USB Mass Storage" it says I have 8gb of space, and all files I move are put onto my card. You just have to have the card in the phone, obviously. The phone acts as an SD card reader.

5. Cody21

Cody21 Member

Sorry .. I misread your post ... I see what you're doing now..

Thanks

6. roper2

roper2 New Member

No problem :]

7. windstrings

windstrings New Member

Most of my songs are 320kbs and they play fine.

8. carrie9142

carrie9142 New Member

I was hoping someone could help me with a music problem.

This is what happens when I try to play a song-I select it, it takes me to the screen where it should play, and after about a second, it returns me to the previous menu. From all playlists, all songs, everything. I haven't sync-ed anything in weeks, so I don't know where this is coming from. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a quick fix or am I going to have to use customer support ? (which I loathe to do!)

Thanks!

9. windstrings

windstrings New Member

Is this a song you've been able to play before with your dare?.. Just wondering if the song is corrupted verses a bad format. for some reason the player doesn't like it and it jams thus crashing the player.

Last thought... are you running the latest firmware on your phone?
    We are at version 06 now.

Settings and tools ---> scroll to phone info ---> sw/hw version ---> at the top it will say SW version, under that is your firmware version.. Mine says VX970V06

10. carrie9142

carrie9142 New Member

I can't find the firmware info. I go to settings-phone settings-and my options are: airplane, voice commands, language, country, location, security, system select, NAM and auto NAM.

I have played these songs before with no problem. However, when I do go to play them now, they have a little red x over the file after I try to play them.

Thanks!

11. windstrings

windstrings New Member

scroll all the way to the bottom, its phone info... rather than settings

You can also try dialing *228 and pick option 1 to reprogram your phone and when its done allow it to reboot and try again.... that sometimes fixes network glitches, it may help with this too even though its not network related.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  12. Cody21

Cody21 Member

Do you know if/how version 6 impacts any "hack" we may have done? e.g., NAV ?? I'm very hesitatant in trying to force version 6 onto my phone for fear of any negative effect making it necessary to take it into the store. I'm still at version 5 and no auto-updates have occured, so far. I *do* have a full backup of the \brew directory, just in case.

13. carrie9142

carrie9142 New Member

I see it now. I guess I wasn't making it scroll.

My SW version is VX970V03. So should I download new firmware? To be honest, I have no idea what that even is.

14. Cody21

Cody21 Member

That's very old software. The latest version in the states that came with my phone in December was version 5. As others pointed out, version 6 is actually what is being installed now. Firmware is the "software" that is required to run your phone. If you haven't hacked anything, you should do as suggested and try to download the lates - dial *228 (with the asterick) and select option 1 when it answers. See what version downloads ... else take it to the VZN store and have them do it for you. Lots of stuff probably fixed with the later version of software.

15. carrie9142

carrie9142 New Member

If I dl the new firmware, will it erase my pictures/music/etc?

16. windstrings

windstrings New Member

I would... it will help many little subliminal glitches.. especially with the camera I have found!
    Seems to also help make the buttons more responsive.

At any rate, you can't download it, just go to a verizon store "call first and make sure they have it" some of the smaller stores may not have the capability.. especially if they merely carry verizon phones but are not a real verizon store.

Firmware is the software thats actually written to the chip... the term Hardware usually means physical pieces of memory or parts etc and the term software means programs and digital information written within the framework of that hardware in a device "phone, computer etc".
    This information can be corrupted and or lost quite easily.

But "firmware is software thats written to the hardware, originally done at the factory.
    Should your phone completely crash and you lose everything on your phone, your firmware usually stays intact allowing you to get things back to the way it was when it left the factory.
    By updating that firmware, you are updating the very basic programming that makes your phone work "period". Before you install anything, before you add your music, pics etc... firmware is what makes the phone work... without it, your phone won't even turn on.
    When you do a *228 send and pick option # 1 you are "configuring" your software to match the latest configurations of verizon network, including the latest locations and working status of cell sites etc... option # 2 only does the latter... called updating your PRL list "preferred roaming list".

If firmware gets corrupted, you are screwed and you phone has to go to the shop as its complicated to uncorrupted bad firmware and install new... often ,they simply replace the bad chip it was written to.

At any rate, the process of updating firmware "on any device" should never be interrupted until the process is finished or your phone won't even come on if it only partially gets updated leaving an incomplete installation.

This is why they don't like the customer trying to do it themselves.

Some phones can do it over the air, but the network has to have real faith in the competency of the device as well as the software used to install the firmware...

if you lose connection while updating firmware off the network server, your done!
    As phones get better, they will simply download the whole firmware and only after its been checked for errors and certified to be intact and pure, will it start the install process.

I don't know why they don't do that more, but as for now, you still have to go to the store for the Dare as well as most other phones.

It takes them about 20 minutes.. you don't lose any of your contacts, settings, or personal preferences.

Other than inconvenience, there is no reason not to do it, simply walk up to the tech support line and say you've been having a few glitches with your phone and would like the firmware updated to 06 which is the latest version.
    It won't cost you anything.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  17. Cody21

Cody21 Member

No - it is just the Operating system software. It should not have any negative impact on your personal stuff... and in fact may fix your song playing issue.

18. LG not IPhone

LG not IPhone New Member

OK I did what you suggested. However my dare did not play the songs! HELp any other ideas?

19. Monster

Monster New Member

Hello everybody! i was wondering if some one could help me with a problem that I've been having with my LG Dare.

I wanted to put some music on and didn't know how so i went on this forum and read to get a USB SD card reader and then from there it was as simple as drag-and-drop onto your phone.

So after buying the USB SD card reader, plugging it into the computer dragging and dropping the music onto the sd card, taking the card out and putting it back into my phone... The music didn't show up! I made sure that I put the music in the "my_music" folder like previous advice but still nothing's showing up!

Anybody know what's wrong?

On BTW I'm using Itunes on a mac book.

20. Cody21

Cody21 Member

1st of all, welcome to the group ..

As far as your problem - are these MP3 files that you're dragging & dropping onto the card? The folder name you mentioned is correct. But the files must be MP3's. I also assume the 2nd card you're using was properly formatted when you got it? That is, you didn't do anything 'special' by hand-creating the folders, right? I think there has to be some "sys" file or something in root directory.

I have no problem doing this whatsoever. But I do NOT use iTunes to do any of this. I have all my MP3s in a folder on my main computer (which happen to also have been imported INTO Itunes). But these MP3s were NOT purchased or downloaded via Itunes Store.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?