1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

LG Dare VX9700 - Can't edit contacts

Discussion in 'LG Dare' started by RJH760, Mar 19, 2013.

1. RJH760

RJH760 New Member

Hello. Just bought an LG Dare on eBay, so I could replace my old phone without signing up for 2 more years with VZW.

Everything works fine EXCEPT I can't update the contacts (i.e., no add, delete, or modify) through the phone's screen interface. It's as though the contact list does not have write access.

I was able to port my Thunderbird contact list to the phone by using BitPim, and could maintain it that way. But if I want to add a new contact quickly, it's much easier to do so through the phone's screen interface.

Anyone know how to fix this?

BTW, full disclosure: I do not know if the contacts were writable prior to using BitPim; so it's possible that BitPim revoked write permission. However, on searching the web, I can't find any discussion of such a bug in BitPim.

TIA for your help.

RJ

› See More: LG Dare VX9700 - Can't edit contacts
  2. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

When on this screen you don't have a 'new' button?
    LG-Dare-Review-Display-23.jpg

3. RJH760

RJH760 New Member

No. Just a huge GO TO button that goes the entire width of the screen. Weird, huh?

4. jdeg

hrm, how many contacts did you add through bitpim? It's possible that the phone memory is full.

5. RJH760

RJH760 New Member

141 contacts. Not that many. Even if that were the issue, that shouldn't stop me from deleting them.

6. jdeg

That's true. Very odd. Are there lots of Pictures on the phone?

7. RJH760

RJH760 New Member

No pics at all, other than what came with the phone. There's some music, but it's all on the SD card, which is about 25% full.

8. RJH760

RJH760 New Member

I figured it out. This is truly weird, but I can live with it.

First I wiped the data and restored factory settings. Problem went away. Terrific - it must have been BitPim.

Not so fast.

I installed Backup Assistant to restore contacts from old phone, on the assumption BitPim was at fault. Changed a few other settings. Problem was back. WTF??

Come to find out, there is a setting to only allow incoming calls from numbers in your contact list. I used this setting to screen junk calls. THAT setting locks your contact list. Not the way I would have designed it, but at least I know now.

1 person likes this.
  9. jdeg

Thanks for following up. That's strange, I never would have thought to check that setting.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?