1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

LG enV (VX9900) E-mail Usage?

Discussion in 'LG enV' started by beardking, Dec 1, 2006.

1. beardking

beardking New Member

On the Verizon LG enV (VX9900), is it capable of sending and receiving emails? Most importantly, would I be able to set it up with my home or work (or preferably both) email accounts to receive emails while travelling?

Thanks in advance
    Beardking

› See More: LG enV (VX9900) E-mail Usage?
  2. CoolNate32

CoolNate32 New Member

Re: LG enV (VX9900)

Yes, you sign up for mobile web 2.0 then you can log into your email. I think you might even get pop up notifications on your phone when you get a message. I am also considering that phone, I'm just wondering how good the MP3 Player for it its.

3. beardking

beardking New Member

I'm not overly interested in the MP3 player (although I can see it being handy when I'm flying), but being able to get emails and text messages on the fly would definitely be a selling point for me. I don't need a full blown PDA (have one, never use it), but emails are quite important to me.

4. CoolNate32

CoolNate32 New Member

I found this website, and for 12 dollars a YEAR! You can use the internet on your cellphone, I don't remember what its called, I'l have to find it. And I am preety sure it works on this phone which makes it an even beter phone!

5. paulcman

paulcman New Member

The only e-mail you can access through Mobile Web 2.0 is Yahoo!, Hotmail and AOL. If you have anything else, you will need to download Wireless Sync from Get It Now and set it up online (there are only 3 short screens of information to fill out). That service is $19.99 per month and gives you access to up to 3 e-mail accounts pushed to your phone (including corporate Microsoft Exchange servers).

6. CoolNate32

CoolNate32 New Member

19.99 a month? Yeah I don't think my parents are going to fall for that one. Lol.

7. paulcman

paulcman New Member

It is definitely a service designed with a corporate or business user in mind.

8. CoolNate32

CoolNate32 New Member

I want to get a smart phone, but its 44.99 a month for internet. I wish Verizon sold a SideKick or atleast something close. With T-MOBILE you can get a sidekick's unlimed wireless internet, text messaging, and what not for 20 dollars a month. I'm just not switching over to t-mobile because we alrealdy have a family plan, and because there reception isn't too great.

9. paulcman

paulcman New Member

You just hit the nail on the head. Verizon's plans may cost more than T-Mobile's, but you get what you pay for. Verizon's network is more reliable and the speed of the Internet access is much faster. The unlimited date feature for PDA/Smartphones includes that higher speed, greater bandwidth access (T-Mobile's network gets bogged down by folks hogging the bandwidth for activities that Verizon does not allow). It also includes that Wireless Sync feature for e-mail. All in all, I would say it is worth the additional $25.00 per month. After all, what good is an inexpensive data feature that you can't use because the signal strength sucks?

10. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

updated thread name.

11. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel New Member

$20 per month to get to an email account that I already pay for?? What? I used to read email on my phone via a pop3 reader for $5 a month that I downloaded from Get It Now -- what happened to that? (I think it was called sodapop?) It worked fine. But even so, I canceled that $5 a month because I usually didn't need to obsessively read email that frequently. If I wasn't willing to pay $5, I'm certainly not going to pay $20 for email access.

12. paulcman

paulcman New Member

The difference between the e-mail readers like Sodapop, Eatoni Mail or RemoMail and the Wireless Sync application is how the e-mail is delivered to your phone. With Wireless Sync, you don't need to login to your e-mail account through a website. The application actually pushes the e-mail directly to your phone and alerts you when you have new e-mail.

13. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel New Member

OK, pushing the email to my phone and alerting me does sound better. (Not that sodapop was hard to use... just had to run the app and it showed the emails.) But, it doesn't sound better for $20 a month. Someone can send me a text message if they really want to alert me right away to something. I don't know who would pay that much unless they had money to burn. $5 is tolerable, $20 isn't.

14. paulcman

paulcman New Member

For those people who want to check their corporate e-mail on their handset, the only way to do it is with Wireless Sync. None of the other apps will let you set up Microsoft Exchange accounts.

15. beardking

beardking New Member

Honestly, the way it's going, I'm probably going to end up dropping Verizon and going with Cingular. Mine and my wifes contracts are just about up with them, and my patience with them has long since disappeared. There have been WAY too many times that I have been somewhere that I didn't have service and people that were with me that had Cingular and still had service.

What irritates me about both services (and probably all services, I haven't looked) is that they don't have any such thing as a family INTERNET plan. It's bad enough that I'm paying 70 bucks a month for phone service for my wife and I to share (and that's the cheapest package), but then if we both want PDA/Smartphones, then we are both going to be popping for 45 bucks or so a month just for internet/email access. It's freaking rediculous.

16. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel New Member

My phones are for personal use, not business. And besides, my company refuses to expose its mail servers to the Internet so I couldn't check corporate mail if I wanted to.

I've been eligible for a new phone for several weeks now but I'm unwilling so far to make the commitment and extend the contract back to 2 years (got 1 year left on it now). Why? Because of idiotic policies like this from Verizon. Verizon makes it sound like there's all kinds of cool great things you can do with the phones... but that'll all cost extra... a LOT extra. Email, $20. Text messages, at least $10. Navigator, another $10. Mobile Web... yet more. Dial-up access for laptop? They told me $60, and I would only need it for very occasional use. Pictures cost yet more money if you're not clever enough to extract them with a USB cable and Bitpim. Not yet sure if music costs anything extra, haven't ever had that feature. Plus, I have 3 phones! I have to pay these fees all over again for each phone. Right now, I got the cheapest 700 minute plan plus text messages on 2 phones for a total of $90 a month. I just added up the above prices... about $110 a month EXTRA for a single phone!

Why should I bother upgrading to a newer phone if I can't afford all these extra charges to actually use what the phone can do?

I'm very dismayed by the way Verizon does things. I can't bring myself to upgrade again. I'm still using a 5 year old Nokia.

17. CoolNate32

CoolNate32 New Member

What region do you live in, maybe you have a bad phone. I always have reception when Cingular people don't.

18. beardking

beardking New Member

I live in Dallas, TX. Where I've had the most issues is when I go up to OK to visit family. Everyone up there with Cingular has no problems, my wife and I, half the time no signal and if we send text messages back and forth (when we do have signal) we don't receive them until we are about halfway back home.

19. paulcman

paulcman New Member

Whenever you experience signal reception problems, you always want to do *228, option 2. This will update your phones list of available towers and roaming agreements. I have written before that even if they put a tower in your backyard, if you don't *228, your phone will not be able to use that new tower.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?