1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

LG VX-9700 Dare From Telus

Discussion in 'LG Dare' started by bluffmaster, Dec 16, 2008.

1. bluffmaster

bluffmaster New Member

I just got my self lg dare (2 days ago) and while i was checking online for its review i found that this phone had a decent music player. But, what i didn't knew was that verizon and telus uses their own music player on this phone (big disappointment), I dont like the music player that comes with telus but i want the one that comes with verizon.
    Is there a way to change this music player or get any other music player since this phones supports apps?

i already have bitpim up and working but dont know what to do with as i have never used it before.

› See More: LG VX-9700 Dare From Telus

2. darrin96

darrin96 New Member

I agree with you. If you find anything, please let me know!
  3. HellaTruvios

HellaTruvios New Member

You can, you're just gonna need to find someone who has the proper libraries to code the BREW file system. The BREW file system isn't simply drag and drop for such changes on the phone. In fact you are kind of lucky to have the Java port. Java is actually pretty workable with. I am unfamiliar with BREW, it uses C++ and very little little commands from it too. You'll need the libraries edit, and or create you're own music player.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help. Just try researching. :)
  4. bleaver

bleaver New Member

how do you get your phone working on bitpim can someone walk me through it
  5. HellaTruvios

HellaTruvios New Member

Make sure to install the drivers for the phone. They are here.
    radarsync.com/driver/d225364-lge_cdma_usb_modem

Now connect you're phone to the USB cable and make sure to NOT select USB mass storage if it asks you.

If you don't got it, download it.
    Now open Bitpim, and select "Edit/Settings"
    Change the phone model to 9700. Now if you get any problems, change the model to 9100. It should work. DO NOT use "get device" commands. Just use the filesystem view.

Now whatever you want to do you can accomplish. You now have Bitpim working with you're LG Dare (VX9700).

Take care.
  6. niggles3000

niggles3000 New Member

First off I need to say that I love this phone, and I also have frustration with not just the media player, but also not having the ability to sync up with outlook or add ringtones because I can't get bitpim to work. You can't get Bitpim to work because TELUS won't give you the drivers and LG treated me like some kind of criminal even for asking them for them. ....I've spent a few weeks looking for the drivers and despite finding files that said they were the drivers I have not been able to get anything to work. soooo All I have to say on this is that unless someone has some great insight on this I don't think TELUS will let you do it... Please someone come on here that's also using TELUS that has some fix for this lock down.

...also, why is this phone not classed as a Smart phone?
  7. HellaTruvios

HellaTruvios New Member

First off, it works. You are just being foolish for not taking facts or, learning a bit.

I wouldn't for one post in a forum specifying "Telus" and myself not have experience with Telus. I "currently" own a LG Dare VX9700 from Telus.

I have my OWN ringtones, my own flash games, and Bitpim DOES work. I do not need to spoon feed people.

I had posted BEFORE you're comment "how to" get it working at the least. If you failed, I mean failed in getting everything working as mentioned than you need help.

I can do it for you, or you can try yourself once again. If you want my help PM for further details. If you want to do it on you're own then please reread my above comment and try getting it working. Use google to search how, try searching for things. Be more analytical.
  8. niggles3000

niggles3000 New Member

First, yes, my phone is with TELUS, second I've looked for drivers for weeks and I've found quite a few files that have yet to work for me including the ones you linked to. Is your phone on TELUS, and if so when did you purchase it? If you are on TELUS you're the first person I've found that has been able to access the phones file structure. I will PM you and post back here if I'm able to get this working.
  9. HellaTruvios

HellaTruvios New Member

Yes it sure is with Telus.
    With the latest "beta" version of Bitpim.
    Those drivers I had posted.
    I got the phone about a week and a half ago.

I couldn't find any documentation on getting my own ringtones, but I managed that it was easier then Verizon's little doohicky.

Since for the Telus one, it just shows "Ringtones" in the directory that most Verizon's had to look for.

Well I'll check my PMs.
  10. niggles3000

niggles3000 New Member

ok, well I'll image my machine and try it again, I suppose it's possible that one of the previous attempts at installing a driver has buggered my machines ability to see the phone correctly.
  11. HellaTruvios

HellaTruvios New Member

Oh yes, I had similar problem at first. Every time I connected my phone, my entire PC froze.

I had to do it on other PC until I got the newest driver for this phone. I can send you my exact one, It installed over the old existing ones.

So that way it was installed and automatically using the newest drivers I had obtained.
  12. niggles3000

niggles3000 New Member

ok, installed the driver from
    radarsync.com/driver/d225364-lge_cdma_usb_modem
    I can't get it to detect directly, but if I go into the wizard I can see it under com3 which I found weird, but I can't get it to pull any information. When I go in to look at it under the "choose a comport channel" it comes up with 'it was not possible to open this port.
    I'd post a pic but there's some anti spam thing that won't let me.
  13. HellaTruvios

HellaTruvios New Member

Ah yes. Try removing all previous drivers you had installed. Get the newest beta test version of Bitpim. I had no problems with it as long as I used the correct driver.

If you want to post pictures and such PM me them.
  14. niggles3000

niggles3000 New Member

I was using 1.0.6 bitpim as that's what all the guides that I'd read to date suggested, I'll uninstall and try the new version. This is a brand new image that I'm working from so the only phone drivers that I'm using are the ones that you've linked. I'll post back with what I get with the beta. Thanks again for the assist. Here's hoping it works.

edit: ok, the beta will let me view and change my calendar and my contact list which I suppose is a step in the right direction, but if I try and move a wallpaper over the phone reboots. I can't see any photos or sounds that I currently have on there. I'll have a go with moving a sound over in a minute, but I really think this thing is locked down. The fact that I can get this far and see the calendar and contacts list but no further is just strange to me. these are the only two things that TELUS won't attempt to make money from. Do you have a more recent driver than the one that you linked to?

edit: yup, no go, ringtones does the same thing, just makes the phone reboot. It gets almost to the end of it moving the file over and then bam, reboot.

I actually just found another thread that you'd posted in about using the file system to add the file but if I try and place the mp3 file right into the folder it says "Access to the file/directory has been blocked on this phone by the phone provider".
    I saw that someone else mentioned this and you suggested restarting the phone, which I have tried, and still get this alert. I think I might be out of options. Any thoughts?
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  15. niggles3000

niggles3000 New Member

redundant
  16. niggles3000

niggles3000 New Member

ok, scratch that, the issue was that I was manually setting the phone to be the VX9700 which is what the Dare is of course... I didn't realise that setting it to the VX9100 was really the key here. Thank you soooo much for all your help, I'm sending you huge karma points! :)
  17. HellaTruvios

HellaTruvios New Member

You're welcome with helping you. Enjoy!
  18. aeriesss

aeriesss New Member

Hi, i just got my LG Dare and have been experiencing problems as well. Ive got the latest beta bitpim adn the 4.8.0 LG USB modem driver. Bitpim recognizes my phone and ive tried setting the phone to both VX9700 and 9100. I can see my filesystem folder and i am able to transfer my song into it. However when i restart my phone, i still only see the default tunes. Do i need to select a COM port (serial/modem)? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
  19. niggles3000

niggles3000 New Member

so you put it in the brew folder? I would think that if you can get the file in you'll be able to do it. As a forum member with less than 20 posts I can't post pics yet so I think I'm going to try and randomly make some posts so I can print a step by step screen shot of what I was helped with. back soon. :)
  20. niggles3000

niggles3000 New Member

I've received some great help from some of our fellow forum members. Have a look here at the thread "LG VX-9700 Dare From Telus" I'd link you directly but as a new member I'm not allowed to link.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?