1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

LG VX7000 banner help

Discussion in 'LG' started by karenw911, Jul 23, 2004.

1. karenw911

karenw911 New Member

Looking for some help here...

I'm trying VERY hard to get rid of the Verizon Wireless name on the main and front displays. I've changed the banner on both, but that does no do the trick. The banner change on the main display inserts my text under the "verizon wireless" and on the front display, it only shows verizon wireless. Can I get their silly name off my phone somehow?

Thanks a bunch.

› See More: LG VX7000 banner help
  2. Hunter

Hunter New Member

I have the VX6000 and I, too, wanted to get rid of the Verizon tag in the banner. I asked everyone I could think of and noone had a clue. So I went to Verizon store and made frineds with a guy and asked him if there was a way to get rid of it and he said no, but that a new software upgrade or program or something is being worked on. I don't know if they ever got it going as that was in late January or early Febuary. If they did, I don't know if they'll do it for the 7000. You might wanna check with Verizon. Even though they are not likely to help you get rid of their advertising. Hope that helps. Sorry I can't help anymore.

Hunter

3. repeters1

repeters1 New Member

VX6000 banner removal from the main screen

I got rid of the banner using BitPim and Wordpad (a Windows program). It was pretty simple. I tried using Winhex and Windump but you have to buy the program for it to be able to edit your banner.
    Wordpad works really easy and it's free with windows.

Ok, here's how I did it.

1) Download and install BitPim

http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/#download

2) Set the COM port. Select: Edit, Settings (I used auto).
    3) Before you edit anything verify the connection to your phone. Select the Phone tab. You will see your contacts.

4) Click on the "File System Tab"
    5) Click on the “+” in the root directory (top left corner).
    Go to the eri directory and select the “+” next to it
    6) Right click eri.bin SELECT SAVE.
    Save the file to your computer in a place you can find it if you need it (This is the original if you screw things up editing the eri.bin file you can always load the original back to your phone). I pity the fool who skips this step. If you are reading this you are probably not a programmer. Either am I. BACK IT UP!
    7) Save another copy of the original eri.bin file to another directory. This will be the directory used to upload and download the file to and from your phone. The other original is safely saved somewhere else. Right? You should now have 2 copiies saved in 2 different places.

8) Start Wordpad

9) Select: File, Open.
    Go to one of the directories where your eri.bin file is saved.
    In file types click "All Documents *.*"
    Open your WORKING copy of the eri.bin file.
    10) Look for:
    Verizon WirelessA ( followed by) Verizon WirelessB
    11) Put your cursor in front of the "V" and delete the words Verizon Wireless BUT, Leave the A Than with the cursor still before the "A" type in 16 "spaces".
    12) Do the same with Verizon WirelessB (again, do not delete the "B" (and don't forget the 16 spaces here also).
    13) Save your edited eri.bin file to your WORKING directory. You still have the original elsewhere on your hard drive. Right?
    14) Launch BitPim.
    Click on the "File System Tab"
    Click on the “+” in the root directory (top left corner).
    Go to the eri directory and select the “+” next to it
    15) Right click on eri.bin
    16) Select Overwrite
    17) Select your WORKING DIRECTORY and your new eri.bin file.
    18) Disconnect your cable from the phone & shut down & reboot it.
    Did it work? Should have, mine did!

Notes:
    1) MAJOR DISCLAIMER:….I am NOT a programmer, hacker or expert at anything . If you screw up your phone sorry. If you backup your original eri.bin file and never edit it chances are very good you can put your phone back to it’s original state, I have. Use caution, take your time and it should work? Any similarity to an actual tutorial is purely coincidental. I make no claims as to the accuracy or suitability of any and all text contained herein. Any user of the information contained herein does so at risk of serious damage to any and all equipment, hardware and software mentioned in this text and possibly more. The information contained in this document is void of warranty express, written or implied.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  4. baby boy aj

baby boy aj New Member

u need the cable for this

5. sleazyride

sleazyride New Member

banner lg 600

i just tried what repeater1 had posted and it worked great. glad i found this forum, i have been trying to get rid of that verizon logo for a very long time. thanks :)

6. ufdigga

ufdigga New Member

I've done this and it works. However, I had a quick question. From looking at the hex editor, it appears that each title (A,B,C,etc.) denotes a title for a different state of the reception signal (Extended Network, Roaming, etc.). It appears title A in the main (full-network) title. What does title B represent?

7. sleazyride

sleazyride New Member

u know i wondered about that to, but have no idea what they stand for, just know phone works great. would be interresting to find out what they stand for/.

8. koojo

koojo New Member

This is awesome, I get my cable tomorrow or the next day, so I will definatly try this out. I hate that verizon wireless banner in the front! Also on the main screen, the gray bar where VERIZON WIRELESS used to be will still remain there?

9. koojo

koojo New Member

I just did the banner removal and it worked....but now my ROAMING icon flashes non stop......what's up with that???

10. koojo

koojo New Member

I figured out a fix for the roaming problem....

you NEED to use a HEX EDITOR, not just wordpad or notepad. It works fine now, no roaming icon, no "Verizon Wireless" and no grey bar that the verizon wireless was on :)

11. jin33

jin33 New Member

I used a HexEditor to get rid of the "Verizon Wireless" text, however I still get the gray bar on my main LCD where the text used to be. Can anyone tell me whether The A and B after the Verizon Wireless refers to the Main or Front LCD, I was thinking I could type in "(My name)'s Phone" so that if somewhere were to steal it, there would be unchangeable text on the Main LCD? The Front LCD looks much better now without the Verizon Wireless Text, thanks a lot!

12. koojo

koojo New Member

I think that you can type anything you want in there, as long as everything (spaces and letters) are 16 characters long. If you want, I can send you my modified eri file which removes both the gray bar and the verizon wireless on the front and the main screen. Let me know

13. jin33

jin33 New Member

I took off the banner and replaced it with "My Name"'s Phone; my original question was whether or not I could set that just on my main LCD rather than on the front LCD as well. I tried setting Verizon WirelessB as the text I wanted, but no change occurred, but once I set both A and B to be my text, it appearred on both LCDs, guess I can't set just one. Thanks anyway

14. ufdigga

ufdigga New Member

whatever is displayed on one will be displayed on the other. they don't operate independantly, and they both reference the same piece of data. you can have them both blank, but you can't have the front blank and the main with text.

15. Pitts Gunna

Pitts Gunna New Member

i'm just saying ya'll better watch out cause they say that you can get viruses through your cell now.Just a warning to ya'll......

16. Donut212

Donut212 New Member

Hey can you send me or show me how to eliminate the gray bars on the main lcd screen??? i got rid of the Verizon Wireless On the top...just wanna eliminate the gray bars.....any help would be appreciated.....thanks....

17. reader

reader Guest

You can't get rid of the grey bars...according to some. Lemme see, nope. There are still two bars in there, even though I got rid of "Verizon Wireless" and substituted my own name. (I've got two other VX7000's in the house and it helps us tell them apart!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2005
  18. Music Man

Music Man New Member

I followed all of your instructions and Bada Boom...Bada Bing... No More Verizon Wireless on wallpaper. Can Ya Hear Me Now!! Thanks for your help

19. Miself

Miself New Member

:( help bitpim cannot find my phone i installed the driver my computer installed everything but bitpim cant find it

can any one help :sad::sad:

20. Miself

Miself New Member

any idea to get the memory card working i hav it hooked up to my computer but the card does not read any help

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?