1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

lg vx8100

Discussion in 'LG' started by leftygirl, May 17, 2006.

1. leftygirl

leftygirl New Member

I have the LG VX8100 I don't have the verizon music package with the cable, cd etc. but I did get a memory card. I also do not subscribe to Vcast. How do I get songs from my computer to my phone and play them on it??:rolleyes:

› See More: lg vx8100
  2. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

You will need to buy a card reader if your computer does not already have them build into it.

You can find one in just about electronic's store such as Best Buy or Radio Shack, or even Walmart. They cost about $20.

Just make sure you get one that can read your particular memory card.

I am going to assume your computer does not have the reader's build into it. The reader you buy will plug directly into a USB port, and when you plug it in, your computer will automatically assign the reader a drive letter.

All you have to do is put your memory card into the reader, go into the C Drive...find your mp3's, and drag them from the folder they are in to the mp3 folder on your memory card. (you will have to double click on the card reader once you have your memory card installed in it, and it will expand and let you see the folders that are on your memory card)

In case you haven't done it already, you will need to format the card with your phone first. When you do that, the phone will make the folders on your memory card.

3. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

boss, the newest software on the phones will not play mp3's. They moved over to wma I believe.

4. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

Yeah...now that you mention it...I did hear something about this...I never did follow it up though.

Well....I hope the lefty has an older 8100...or I should steered her in the wrong direction.

5. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

Ok...went down to the Verizon store to check on this. Tavenger is correct. Verizon/LG gave Microsoft sole custody over the media rights to the 8100 along with some other phones.

So, now you have a couple choices here. After you have the card reader, you can Rip your cd's using Windows Media Player (Make sure you have the latest Version which is 10). If you haven't done anything to the player (left the default settings alone), when you rip the cd, Windows Media Player (WMP) will automatically convert the songs to WMA format.

If you are trying to load exsisting mp3's onto your card, you are going to have to first convert them over to WMA format. Once again, WMP will do this. I am going to have to check into seeing if you can just cheat and change the extention's like we used to do for ringtones, or is it really going to require the song to be converted.

If somebody already knows the answer to this, please help out. I will get to it when I get home and actually have a chance to mess with it a bit.

6. lonedragon

lonedragon New Member

I have the vx8100 and u can put music with the MP3 format in it

7. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

Yeh, so can I, but with the newest version of the software you can't.

8. touringfool

touringfool New Member

I'm thinking of buying one for the MP3 player. I guess this WMA crap will be a nuisance, but I can live with it. What do you all think about the phone? It's a bit chunky. Was sondering what you all think about the style, battery life and reception.
    Thanks for your help.

9. Tony E!

Tony E! \/\/ireless/\dvisor

Feature wise the LG 8100 is a solid phone, CDMA LG phones have good recception, can't say the same for LG GSM phones....
    as far as aesthetics go, too bulky for my taste.

10. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

I think it is a well build phone. I don't like the small inside screen though. But, it's an LG, so in my opinion means quality...at least the CDMA versions.

Unlike Tony, I like the bulk/size of the phone....it doesn't feel like its going to break in my hand like the Razr or pebble does (not saying they ever would).

MP3 player is nice, and the outside controls are a very nice option.

11. JESBVT

JESBVT New Member

Re: lg vx8100 and MP3s

Even the newest version of s/w supports MP3s you just have to activate the MP3 option in the hidden service menu. According to Verizon they felt it was too confusing to have both options for users so they settled on the WMAs. I just picked this phone up last week -got a 512 MB card, copied 130 MP3s to it and activated the option and have been playing it without any problems.

Hit the OK button fromt he main screen. From the Contact Screen (the first menu to appear) -hit 0 --thats the number zero.

Then enter the service code: 6 more zeros.

Now you are in the menu. DO NOT FOOL with most options as your phone will encounter problems if you change something you are not familiar with.

Scroll down to Option 11 (Music)

Hit OK

Toggle it to MP3 Enable

Hit OK

Shut Phone off and Restart it.

While I obvioulsy can not guarantee this it worked flawlessly with my phone. Good Luck and Enjoy your MP3s!!

John

12. mattwood440

mattwood440 New Member

Re: lg vx8100 and MP3s

Thanks JESBVT John, you saved me a lot of work!

Matt

13. Stuyou

Stuyou New Member

I purchased a VX8100 on 6/11/06 and it can play MP3's.

14. teamneon

teamneon www.BigWireless.us

the newest software disabled mp3 and disabled the play button on the front...but once turned back on....it plays mp3s just like the old software

15. meanie

meanie New Member

When I go to "my MP3s" in the "GET TUNES & TONES" section, It's telling me "No songs found on memory card" and I just loaded the card with songs.

Anymore hints to resolve?

Thanks

16. iglestelon

iglestelon New Member

the newer 8100s dont support mp3, use this program to convert them into WMA and put them on the memory card

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?