1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

LG VX8300, USB cable, and Micro SD Card

Discussion in 'LG' started by rieber, Aug 11, 2006.

1. rieber

rieber New Member

I have a 1 gig Micro SD card and USB cable for my new LG VX8300. I also have downloaded and successfully used BitPim to send data to the phone. I have formatted the card. Can I use this setup to create a directory structure on the card and transfer MP3's directly from my PC to the phone, or do I still need a card reader? Thanks.

› See More: LG VX8300, USB cable, and Micro SD Card

2. spum

spum Random News Bot

I've never tried it, but I believe that the card slot in the 8300 is read only. I don't think it can write anything to the card (I may be wrong about this). If that's the case, it wouldn't be possible to store things on your card via USB cable/phone.
  3. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

If you formatted the card using your phone, the structure should already be on the phone, and then yes....you can transfer mp3's over to the to your phone via the cable attached to your computer.

It is slow though, and a card reader would be way, way faster.
  4. rieber

rieber New Member

If the card has been properly formatted, should it then show up as an additional "drive" in Windows Explorer as does my digital camera memory? If the answer is 'yes', then I haven't properly formatted the card. I have mp3 enabled. What do I need to do to reformat the card in the phone?
  5. salehound

salehound New Member

Rieber, I had the same problem. I have the 8300...it's only about two months old. I purchased the usb cable with earplugs and drivers. I installed the drivers, formatted my card, did everything by the book. The phone would only show up in the directory tree after trying to sync the phone, but I would get a message on the phone to check the cable connection. When it showed up in the directory, I'd click on it and it'd disappear and the pointer would relocate to the drive c directory.

Cable connection could not have been the problem, though, because BitPim recognized the phone...even uploaded the calendar to the computer. It was also listed in the device manager. This couldn't have happened if there was a faulty connection. I believe it's a problem with the drivers.

I returned the cable and am waiting for my refund.
  6. poster55

poster55 New Member

from what I understand, with the Verison phones, you have to have more than just the cable + software. They require a driver so when you plug the phone into the pc it detects your phone as the phone model as opposed to a external drive or plug & play device. Currently the only way I know of to get the drivers is through verizon's mobile media kit.

There are some people who have had success using the cable and a program called QPST. This forum thread has a few walk throughs on how to get mp3s as ringtones, as well as movies onto your phone using a data cable

LG VX8300 Tutorial for Newbies - LG Talk Forum - Mobiledia
  7. salehound

salehound New Member

I installed the drivers that came with the cable. I installed them before I plugged in the cable, removed it and reinstalled them after I plugged in the cable...rebooted the computer several times, turned off and on the phone several times...any and every combination possible several times in every usb port possible in three computers and it never worked.

With the explorer open, I'd try to sync the music from the phone menu and it would add a drive to Explorer, but when I clicked on it, the "drive" disappeared and the mouse pointer moved to the c drive letter.
  8. Breski

Breski New Member

I havfe the vx8300 and have aq number of annoying issues:

1. My phone says the phone memory is full so I can't start my ring tones app.

2. How do you force the front panel to stay on all the time - I have the 4500 and used it as a clock - this is unacceptable.

3. The onyl way I figured out how to get songs (I still don't have video or ring tones) on my phone was by buying the 2GB chip and copying them from c drive in wma format to the car using the reader. My sync software locks my phone up.

Currently I'm seriously unhappy with this thing.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?