1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

How-to LG VX8500 WMA MP3 & Ringtone Howto

Discussion in 'LG Chocolate' started by lmyer, Dec 18, 2006.

1. lmyer

lmyer New Member

Seems to be lots of confusion regarding loading/playing WMAs, MP3s, and MP3 Ringtones to/with the LG VX8500 (at least with the latest version of the firmware). My experiences with the Verizon Music Essentials Kit, Verizon Micro SD card, and BitPim follow:

Phone: LG VX8500 Cherry Chocolate w/T85VZR04 firmware
    Optional Accessories: Verizon Music Essentials Kit, Verizon Micro SD Card.
    PC OS: Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP2
    Windows Media Player: v.10.00.00.3802
    BitPim: version 0.9.09-official

Loading WMAs on the phone through Windows Media Player Sync:

1. Install software and USB driver from/per the Verizon Music Essentials Kit.
    2. Follow these instructions to synchronize WMA files to the phone:
    Click Here for Instructions on Synchronizing music to the handset with Windows Media Player 10

Note: The most common problem reported in forums seems to be that people do not configure the handset, before trying to synchronize files.

Note: MP3s WILL NOT sync to the phone through Windows Media Player – so forget about doing this. I asked tech support at my city’s main (large) Verizon store about this and was told this is per contractual agreement between Microsoft and Verizon. I guess it makes sense – Microsoft is pushing WMAs. Verizon tech support said best way to get MP3s on the phone is drag & drop onto formatted micro SD card (see below). If you have to play MP3s, you should get a micro SD card for your phone (unless you want to jack around with BitPim or some other program to use the USB connection, most likely very slowly. Please note that I am not attempting to rule out the feasibility of wireless Bluetooth transfers – just don’t have any experience with them.

Installing and Formatting micro SD card / loading WMAs and MP3s on the phone through the micro SD card.

Note: You will need a SD card reader either built into, or attached to your PC – as well as an adaptor for the micro SD card (comes with the Verizon micro SD cards).

1. Turn off your phone and install the micro SD card in your phone
    2. Turn on your phone and follow these instructions to insure the memory card is formatted correctly:
    Click Here for Instructions on Ensuring that the memory card is formatted correctly - LG Chocolate (VX8500)
    3. Turn off your phone and remove the micro SD card.
    4. Install the micro SD card in the card reader of your PC
    5. Drag and drop desired WMA and/or MP3 files into the MY_MUSIC folder on the SD card. (Make sure they are first properly tagged with song info)
    6. Reinstall micro SD card into the phone
    7. Turn on your phone and let it boot. Your WMA and/or MP3 files will now be available to play.

Installing MP3 Ringtones using BitPIM

1. Install BitPim version 0.9.09-official (minimum) on your PC.
    2. Make an appropriate MP3 ringtone.
    3. Turn off your phone and remove the micro SD card.
    4. Install the micro SD card in the card reader of your PC
    5. Follow the instructions below “Access Ringtones from a Micro SD Card” to install the ringtone:
    Click Here for the Howto
    6. You will now be able to select your ringtone from the phone’s usual ringtone menu.

› See More: LG VX8500 WMA MP3 & Ringtone Howto
  2. UnknownStriker

UnknownStriker New Member

do you need the data cable to do this?

3. lmyer

lmyer New Member

You need the Verizon Music Essentials Kit (cable + drivers + software) to Sync WMAs using WMPlayer. Also the cable + driver is necessary to connect with BitPim to do ringtones. (note that v.5 and V.6 of phone software is Verizon's apparent attempt to restrict you from directly accessing files using BitPim - possible workarounds see threads on HowardForums.net).

You do not need a cable or software to install MP3s or WMAs using a micro SD card - but you do need a SD card reader in your computer.

LM

4. paulcman

paulcman New Member

This statement is absolutely not true.

Windows Media Player 10 has no problem playing and/or pushing your MP3 files to your phone. You don't have to worry about converting your huge collection of MP3's to WMA format. As for the alleged contractual agreement between Verizon and Microsoft... can anybudy say Antitrust? There in no factual basis behind such a statement and the employee who said it has obviously never gone through any of Verizon's training... or used any of our products. So go ahead, sync your MP3 files all day long, it will work just fine!

5. lmyer

lmyer New Member

6. paulcman

paulcman New Member

I do it all the time with my version 4 Chocolate!

I absolutely refuse to convert my collection of over 8,600 MP3 files just so that I can put a few of them on my phone. Plus, my iPod will not play WMA files, and I do not have enough hard drive space to duplicate my music collection.

As for WMP10 being able to play MP3 files, you should check Microsoft's release notes for the software, it is very clearly stated that it will recognize and play them. In fact, you can even rip your CD's to MP3 files using WMP10.

I am not sure what the problem is with your installation or setup, but there is no reason why you should not be able to push your MP3 files to the phone using WMP10 and the Verizon MEK.

7. lmyer

lmyer New Member

I don't recall saying that WMP10 couldn't play MP3s. No problem playing MP3s with WMP10 - just gives an error when it tries to sync MP3s to my phone. WMAs sync fine using exactly the same procedure, so I must surmise that I am doing it correctly.

In any case, I also don't like the WMA format and I put MP3s on my phone using the micro SD card in my PC method. I suspect you do also. What is still not clear is if you actually claim to have successfully put MP3s on your phone using WMP10 sync with the MEK cable?

LM

8. paulcman

paulcman New Member

Yes, to clear up any possible confusion, I use WMP10 regularly to sync my MP3 files from my PC to my Chocolate.

9. lmyer

lmyer New Member

Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for your input.

LM

10. lmyer

lmyer New Member

I think I may have an explanation:

Answers to FAQS

"Unprotected music may be transferred using Windows Explorer if it is in WMA format. V CAST Music phones with Version 01.02.000 or higher software such as the Chocolate by LG can also accept unprotected MP3 files. The file must be saved to the MY_MUSIC folder on the memory card to be played. Note: only unprotected MP3 files can be played after being sideloaded. Protected MP3 files must be transferred using the sync function in order to be played on the phone."

If I remember correctly, I tried to sync MP3s to the base memory on the phone before I bought the micro SD card, and this was the unsuccessful attempt I have been referring to. It seems that the above info states that MP3s must be transferred to the memory card (sd card) only in order to be played. This is the possible explanation for the error I observed in syncing MP3s. Haven't tried it since buying the micro SD card.

LM

11. paulcman

paulcman New Member

Let us know if you are successful in syncing MP3 files given the new information.

12. lmyer

lmyer New Member

Tried it last night. No problem syncing mp3s to either base memory OR to SD card using WMP10. Can't figure out why I was having problems originally with MP3s and not WMAs, but obviously I was doing something differently.

Paul is correct in that MP3s are no problem to sync using WMP10 and USB cable.

LM

13. paulcman

paulcman New Member

I am glad that it works for you and that my success was not just a fluke. Thanks for giving it another try!

14. Reef81

Reef81 New Member

Hi, I've been having trouble with the micro s card working with the lg choclate. I loaded 2 albums to the card off my hardrive and reinstalled the card to the phone, it still doesn't work. I have did what you said step by step and still having problems. Is there something i'm missing?

15. lmyer

lmyer New Member

1. Did you load them to the "my_music" directory on the SD card, without creating any subdirectories? All music needs to go together in one big directory. Phone relies on MP3 tags to sort them.
    2. Did you turn off your phone when removing/installing the SD card? If I remember correctly it apears to recognize new files after booting up.
    3. Are your filenames too long? Try shorter ones without unusual characters.
    4. Are your MP3 tags appropriate? Try re-ripping one in WMP.

Hope something here helps. Good luck.

LM

16. Reef81

Reef81 New Member

File names were too long...lol..Thanks for the help..:)

17. Reef81

Reef81 New Member

The file names were too long.. I shorten them up and the phone read the card this time.:) . Thanks for the help.. PS. Can I set a mp3 song as my ringtone?

18. lmyer

lmyer New Member

Yes, but you wil need to get BitPim working. I understand the newest rev of Bitpim will work with VX8500 v.5 and v.6 firmware. Should be able to get things set up per my instructions once you get a version of Bitpim that works with your firmware.

Good luck. Let us know. (I have v.4 firmware, so I can't explore this myself for certain without flashing mine to a later firmware version.)

LM

19. DueroMcFile

DueroMcFile New Member

I recently bought the Chocolate and was bummed to find that I couldn't use my own mp3 files as a ringtone. Then I found this place. I don't have the music essentials, but I do have a MobileMate SD+ with a 512kb microSD. I was wondering if I could take an mp3 files shortened by BitPim and just copy to my card and have it work. I already have a 12 sec clip that I'd like as a ringtone transfered to the card, but the phone doesn't recognize the file as a ringtone. It can play all my music fine, but I was wondering if I have to create or place the ringtone i made in a certain folder to make it work, or if it will even be possible to work.

20. lmyer

lmyer New Member

Yes, you either have to place the ringtone in a specific folder on the cell phone itself (not SD card), or make a ringers directory on the SD card and tell the cell phone that another directory exists on the SD card for the ringer (per Bitpim FAQ) - either case takes bitpim and the MEK to make it work. Some people have reported success (at least limited) in e-mailing the ringer to their phone - someone else will have to answer that one as I have never tried it and do not believe anyone has reported if it still can be done with newer versions of the firmware (v.5 and v.6). You can search for how to try this. If you decide to get the MEK and use Bitpim, please read the Howard Forums threads that covers doing this.

Bitpim does not shorten MP3 files. You will have to do that with another program.

It seems you'll need to research things a bit more before trying.

Good luck,

LM

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?