1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Info LG vx9800 Guide

Discussion in 'LG' started by fletch33, Mar 8, 2006.

1. fletch33

fletch33 New Member

vx9800 Guide * I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY HARM THAT ANY OF THIS INFORMATION MAY CAUSE YOUR PHONE

First of all I would like to thank: amcq1010, jmxp, Tracker557, bombboyer, M5Rahul, Coroner, and many others for helping me make this information possible.

What You Will Need:

- an LG data cable (check ebay or google), or bluetooth equipped computer.
    - LG modem drivers ( google “LG usb drivers futuredial”)
    - bitpim version .8.0.8 or newer(check www.bitpim.org for the latest version for your os)
    - mini sd card (optional but highly recommended) not a transflash or micro sd or macro sd or any other name just "mini sd". don't bother with anything bigger than a 1GB because it is not supported by the phone.

What Version Software Do I Have?

1. Go to SETTINGS AND TOOLS
    2. Go to #5 SYSTEM SETTINGS
    3. Go to #3 DEVICE INFO
    4. Go to #2 SW Version
    5. Look under SW Version and you will see it ends in V## (## = your software version)

WHAT DOES V2 (version 2 software) FIX?

FIXES THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS:

1. 9800 would sometimes powercycle when trying to access the camera or picture gallery with a mini sd card in the phone

2. 9800 would sometimes powercycle upon insertion of the mini sd while using the camera

3. 9800 would sometimes powercycle when playing or accessing mp3's with any mini sd card 512mb or larger

4. 9800 would sometimes have a complete power failure straight out of the box

5. 9800 would sometimes powercycle when accessing mp3's with a 1gb mini sd and then would have no audio once it powercycled

6. added MOD (Music On Demand)

7. it has been known to fix other things as well but these are the main points

How Can I Upgrade My Software?

Go to your local corporate verizon store and they will upgrade it for you

How Can I Remove The Verizon Banner And Startup And Shutdown Sounds?

-to remove the verizon banner go to menu>settings and tools>display>banner>ERI banner> set it to off

-to remove the startup/shutdown sound go to menu>settings and tool>sounds>power on/off sound>set it to off

How Do I Choose Where To Save My Media?

by default, it's stored in the Phone Memory. However, you can change the " Save Options" and have it saved to the card.

Here's How:

[ok] Menu
    Goto - Settings & Tools
    Scroll to option 6 - System [ok]
    Scroll to Option 4 - Manage Memory [ok]
    Option 1 - Save Options [ok]

Choose each [ Pix, Flix, Sounds ] and [ok]

Change to *Card Memory* [ok]

How Do I Change My WAP Proxy? some people have decided to not pay verizon the $4.99/month + minutes to surf the web and have decided to use services that charge $12 /year + minutes like www.hopke.net

1) Open the phone
    2) Press Menu
    3) Press 0 seven times
    4) Press 8 (WAP Settings)
    5) Press 1 (Proxy Address Settings)
    6) Press 1 (Primary Address)
    7) Enter the name of the proxy server you want to use and SAVE
    8) Press Clear
    9) Press 2 (Proxy Port Setting)
    10) Enter the port of the proxy server you want to use and SAVE
    11) Press Clear
    12) Press 3 (User Password)
    13) Enter the password for the proxy server you want to use and SAVE

Phone will reboot.

What Video Formats Will My Phone Play?

3gp, 3g2 and mp4(mpeg-4)

What Are My Screen Resolutions?

outside = 320x198 inside=320x230

How Do I Use Announce Alert And Text Message Or Note Reader?

Incoming Call Announce:
    Menu -> Settings & Tools -> 2. Tools -> 1. Voice Command -> 3. Announce Alert.
    When turned on, this will announce all incoming traffic. "Call From Joe Smith", "Message from Rita", etc.
    Reading Text Messages: When viewing an incoming Text Message, use the [spacebar] key to have the phone read you the text sent by the other person if the phone is open and the face button below the contacts button if the phone is closed
    Reading Notes: When viewing a saved Note within the Notepad tool, use the [spacebar] key to have the phone read you the text within the note.

How Do I Play My Recorded Videos From My Phone On My Computer?

They will play in quicktime

WHAT IS MY GPS LOCATION?

1. menu
    2. hit 0000000 (be very careful in here and do not mess around with what you don't know about or you could damage your phone)
    3. go to field test
    4. go to gpsOne
    5. turn gpsOne test screen on
    6. exit and dial 922 send with your phone open
    7. wait a moment and you will receive your gps location
    8. you can test this by going to http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

How Do I Install The LG Drivers/Set Up Bitpim/Add Ringtones/Sounds/Flix/Etc..? - I am going to assume for this guide that you have version 2 or v2 software on your phone or newer
    ****PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT IF YOU HAVE V1 OR VERSION 1 SOFTWARE THAT YOU CAN NOT ADD MORE THAN 3MB OF RINGTONES WITH THIS METHOD OR YOU COULD FRY YOUR PHONE AND I RECOMMEND YOU UPGRADE****

USB CABLE CONNECTION

1. Install Drivers for cable
    2. Plug in cable
    3. Plug in phone
    4. Done..

BLUETOOTH CONNECTION

1. Click Menu->Settings and Tools->8. PC Connection
    2. Select 3. Bluetooth to use Bluetooth
    3. If it asks you if you want to turn bluetooth on, select Yes.
    4. Go to Menu -> Settings and Tools -> 9. Bluetooth
    5. Select 3. My Visibility
    6. Select "Shown to All"
    7. On your PC, go to "My Bluetooth Places" (you can type that in windows explorer and you will go there)
    8. Click "View Devices in Range" in the left hand side
    9. Double click on your phone
    10. Double Click on "Bluetooth Serial Port".
    11. It will tell you what Com Port it is assigning to the phone, this is important, as you will need this when configuring BITPIM.

BITPIM
    Now, download BitPim. Install, then run.
    1. Click Edit -> Settings
    2. Change Phone Type to LG-VX9800
    3. Browse the Com Ports to find the one that works for you
    4. To see FileSystem Tab, you have to click View -> View Filesystem
    5. Click the FileSystem Tab

GENERAL INFO for Filesystem In Bitpim
    Here are the locations for important files:
    \Brew\16452\ ---
    mf --- My Flix
    mp --- My Pix
    ms --- My Sounds
    lk\mr --- My Ringtones
    \dload\ --- Information Files

PUTTING PICTURES ON YOUR PHONE WITHOUT HAVING A MINI SD
    1. Take picture
    2. Resize it to one of the following sizes:
    320x230 - For displaying on Internal (Main) Screen.
    320x198 - For displaying on External (Mini) Screen.
    3. Open BitPim
    4. go to: \Brew\16452\mp\
    5. right click on "mp", click "New File..." select your file.
    6. go to: \dload\
    7. right click "image.dat", select delete
    8. right click "imagesize.dat", select delete
    9. Reboot phone, images show up!
    IF YOU HAVE A MINI SD SIMPLY PLACE THE RESIZED PICTURES IN YOUR “MY_PIX” FOLDER ON YOUR CARD

PUTTING RINGTONES ON YOUR PHONE – again i warn you to NOT use this method if you still have v1 or version 1 software on your phone

1. Open BitPim
    2. go to: \Brew\16452\lk\mr\
    3. right click on "mr", click "New File..." select your file(s)
    4. go to \dload\
    5. right click "my_ringtone.dat", select delete.
    6. right click "my_ringtonesize.dat", select delete.
    7. Reboot phone, ringtones show up!

PUTTING SOUNDS ON PHONE
    Same as with Ringtones, but put the file in \Brew\16452\ms\, and delete the mysound.dat and mysoundsize.dat files.

PUTTING VIDEOS ON PHONE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A MINI SD
    1. Open BitPim
    2. go to: \Brew\16452\mf\
    3. right click on "mf", click "New File..." select your file.
    4. go to \dload\
    5. right click "video.dat", select delete.
    6. right click "videosize.dat", select delete.
    7. Reboot phone, videos show up!

IF YOU HAVE A MINI SD SIMPLY PUT THE VIDEOS IN THE “MY_FLIX” FOLDER

› See More: LG vx9800 Guide
    2 people like this.
  2. fletch33

fletch33 New Member

HOW DO I ENABLE DUN (DIAL UP NETWORKING) IF I HAVE WINDOWS? *this only works with 1x and not EVDO

Open the phone and press OK, 0, 000000 to access the services menu.
    Press 3, Network Select
    Press 1, Mode Preference
    Select 1X only. (Remember to change it back to Digital Only Hybrid when done)

IF YOU ARE USING A DATA CABLE:

Network Connections Settings (computer dial up settings):
    Dial number: #777
    Username: "your10digitnumber"@vzw3g.com
    Password: vzw
    Select Properties,
    Select "Options" tab
    Under "Dialing options" check "display progress while connecting", "prompt or name and password, certificate, etc.", and "prompt for phone number"
    Select Security tab, Select "Advanced" (NOT typical), Under "Data encryption" select "Optional Encryption"
    Under "Login Security" select "Allow These Protocols" and check ONLY "unencrypted passwords (PAP)"
    Select "Networking" tab
    Ensure that "type of dial up" is set to PPP

IF YOU ARE USING BLUETOOTH:

use the settings above

HOW DO I ENABLE DUN (DIAL UP NETWORKING) IF I AM USING A MAC?

Essentially, what needs to be done is to force Internet Connect to authenticate via PAP. This was the conclusion I drew from the thread linked above. However in Mac OS X, there is no option to select PAP authentication, so the system defaults to CHAP/MSCHAP and authentication thus fails when dialing #777. Instead, you must go into the system settings and manually disable CHAP. Here are my instructions from start to finish:

1. Make sure your vx9800 has paired via bluetooth to your Mac. If you have not set this up, turn on visibility on your phone, and then in Bluetooth preferences, "Set up bluetooth device." Follow the instructions from there. Make sure that in bluetooth settings on the vx9800, under "paired devices," the PC Connection is set.
    2. Make sure that 1x only is selected on your phone. To change this, click "OK" on the inside keypad to bring up the menu, then press "0", followed by the service code "000000". Press 3 for Network select, press 1 for Mode, choose 1x only.
    3. On your Mac, open up prefernces, goto Network. Click "Show" and then "Bluetooth." Click "Bluetooth Modem." For modem, select "Verizon Support (PC 5220)". This script should come pre-loaded on Mac OS X.
    4. The important step. Open up Applications-->Utilities-->Terminal. Type in the following commands:

cd ../../etc/ppp

sudo pico

Type in your root password. Copy and paste the following lines into the terminal (actually the terminal application pico).

refuse-chap
    refuse-mschap
    refuse-mschap-v2

Type Control-X to exit pico. it will ask you if you want to save. type Y for yes, then save the file as "options" without parenthesis. hit enter.

In the future, to revert to original default system settings, go open terminal and type sudo rm ../../ppp/options

5. Open up Applications-->Internet Connect. Click Bluetooth. Fill in the following fields:
    Telephone #: #777
    Account name: your10digitphonenumber@vzw3g.com
    Password: vzw

Click Connect, and you should be able to connect to VZW's network at 1x speeds. In my testing, this works out to about 17 KBs/sec, a huge improvement over QNC speeds.

HOW DO I CONVERT VIDEO TO PLAY ON MY PHONE?

There are many ways of converting video for your 9800. i am listing one of them that i know to work. There are plenty of threads out there if you want to argue what works best but i am listing this one because all the software you need is FREE and it works.

You will need the following free software before you begin:

3GP Converter – google “topdrawerdownloads 3gp_converter “

DVD Decrypter – google “riphelp dvddecrypter “

A Couple Of Extra Notes

- If you hit error -2048, 1073741571 or -2095, install QuickTime from Apple and try again

- You convert an AVI files exactly as you convert DVD video files (VOB's)

- some people prefer to break the movie into multiple VOBs/3GPs, so they don't have to hold down the FF button forever when they want to jump to certain parts. You can accomplish this by converting the chapters of a movie one at time instead of doing the whole movie at once. this might come in handy if you had to stop playing something over an hour into it and wanted to go back where you left off.

The following method will create a single VOB file, therefore a single 3PG file, great quality and that includes audio that is in-sync with the video.

Before you decrypt your DVD movie, DVD Decrypter has to be set-up.

First - Click Mode and check IFO I.

Second - Click Tools and open Settings window.

Once in Settings, select the IFO Mode tab and File Mode tab and make the necessary changes.

You're now ready to click the DVD Icon at the bottom of the window to decrypt your movie.

Once your decryption is complete - Open the 3PG_Converter folder and run the Setup.exe and choose General: 3GPP+AAC General Setting. Then run 3GP_Converter (3GP_Converter.exe)
    Select QVGA Normal quality 15fps Stereo or Mono. Drop your VTS_01_1.VOB file into 3GP_Converter where it says Drag&Drop files here.

Some General Knowledge:

– when you purchase a mini sd card place it in the phone first to be formatted
    – you can not email yourself ringers and save them to set as ringtones
    – when you use an instant messenger service they count as text messages
    – if you lock your phone the default password is 0000 if that doesn't work try the last four digits of your phone number and if that doesn't work then i don't know
    – the only way to transfer files via bluetooth is thru bitpim
    – you can not extend the 15sec video record length for your phone
    – you can only add games to your phone by buying them thru GIN (Get-It-Now)
    – the 9800 does not have java and it probably never will
    – the speakerphone is turned on and off by holding the CLR button down while the phone is open
    – you can not save v-cast video clips

well i hope all this helped and i will try to keep it up to date.
    fletch33

3. OBXVZW21

OBXVZW21 enjoys shooting nutria

holy crap that is alot of info i'll have to go back and read it later. but thanx for all of that i know it took alot of time to get all that down. :bow2: :cheers:

4. fletch33

fletch33 New Member

your welcome and to be honest i expected more responses or at least some questions.

5. OBXVZW21

OBXVZW21 enjoys shooting nutria

not alot of people here have the 9800 seems like most poeple here go for the free phone or another cheap phone then come here and ask a bizillion questions about how to use them or why are they having so many problems with their phone.

I already knew how to do about 90% of the things you posted it's just nice to have it all written down.

6. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

I've stuck the thread.

7. JosiahW

JosiahW New Member

eVDO

I head that the eVDO or whatever contantly searches for signal if there is none found. I dont live in a service area for that so it drains my bat. really fast. Can I turn this off and on. Is it eVDO causing the problem? What will be effected if it is turned off?

Thank you. Great Post BTW.

8. fletch33

fletch33 New Member

yes i recommend you turn it off if you dont live in an ev area. you will see a great improvement in your battery life. the instructions are above. i recommend also to remember how you do it in case you happen to enter an ev area and you want to turn it back on.

fyi- i aslo recommend turning it off if you need to conserve battery life and you are in an are like a basement where the phone struggles back in forth in and out of an ev signal and you may not have a charger with you or something

ooh i almost forgot to mention to your other question about what will be affected and that is nothing because it will only effect ev signal which is like highspeed web and v-cast and you dont get that anyway :(

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  9. JosiahW

JosiahW New Member

Which do I choose?

Which Mode should I choose? i dont have just an off.
    I have:
    "Digital Only Hybrind
    Digital Only Non Hybrid
    HDR Only
    1X Only"

Which is best to conservce batterie?
    I had another question. How do I turn on roaming for this thing? I am out in the middle of the dessert alot and the only towers out there are cingular towers.
    I just want better service. I also get very bad service when I am inside buildings and thats just with all verizon phones, the cingular guys get great service.

Thank you.

10. fletch33

fletch33 New Member

1. you want 1X to conserve battery when you are either not in an ev area or constantly going in and outof an ev area. put it back to " Digital Only Hybrid" whenever you wanna go back to the factory settings

2. well if you turn off roaming then you will have no service at all in the areas that you are talking about but i am assuming you know that. if you want to set the phone to never roam just hit menu (ok button)>settings and tools>system>network>system select> choose home only

3. as far as the buildings thing that is very unusual because i travel a lot and verizon generaly wins for best service almost everywhere i go in the US. now out of the country is a whole other game because cdma stinks on a world basis

11. JosiahW

JosiahW New Member

Awsome

Awsome thank you for all the help.

12. raelious@sbcgl

raelious@sbcgl New Member

This info is great and thank you. I have one question. Decrypter broke the movie into 6 files which i then converted to 3gp is there a way for it to be one file for the entire movie instead of multiple files.
    thanks in advance

13. fletch33

fletch33 New Member

well you really wouldn't like it if you did. you will find that you wont normally be able to watch an entire movie in one sitting because of phone calls or whatever and when you go back to watch the movie if you have it all in one file it could take you 5 or 10 minutes to fast forward back to where you left off becasue the fast forward is very slow on the 9800.

you can changeit but i dont recommend it.

14. Audiostraw

Audiostraw New Member

AWESOME POST, IT REALLY IS

But i have a couple basic questions (basic for you atleast)

I was told there is a way to upload wallpapers and Mp3's without a cable, if true, how?

15. fletch33

fletch33 New Member

well you can use bitpim with with bluetooth but that would be it :)

16. Audiostraw

Audiostraw New Member

17. Audiostraw

Audiostraw New Member

Ok,
    I bought the Bluetooth adapter and i also bought a 1gb MIni SD and heres my problem.

i cant figure out how to transfer songs to the mini Sd card via bluetooth.
    i also cant get the internet to work, once again via bluetooth..
    what other neato things can i do with my new set up?

i have version 1 and i plan to get it updated tommarow..

can i have someones aim screen name? so i can barrage them with millions of questions? WHOS UP FOR IT? OORAH

18. fletch33

fletch33 New Member

well if you notice in my post there are my aim, yahoo, and msn messenger icons :)

19. Audiostraw

Audiostraw New Member

Your Such A Silly Pants!!

20. amuk3

amuk3 New Member

I hve a quick question, do I need to convert the music to midi? They are mp3's now. I notice that trying it your way one song at a time takes a bit.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?