1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Man Would The Voyager Rock With The Versa's Basic Flash Web Browser!

Discussion in 'LG Voyager' started by the2ndflood, Mar 13, 2009.

1. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

I got a chance to play with the LG Versa recently and wasn't really all that impressed, but the basic Mini-Flash player is nice. I couldn't get the Versa's browser to open Hulu, but I was able to watch some other videos and view other Flash content sites. That feature alone doesn't justify $450, but I really love the fact that LG added Flash to one of their mobile web browsers.

So does anyone think LG will either be releasing a Firmware update for the Voyager with basic Flash in it, or releasing a Voyager/EnV/Ect-Type device with a Flash browser built into it? I'm not going to hold my breath, but it would be nice.

› See More: Man Would The Voyager Rock With The Versa's Basic Flash Web Browser!

2. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Hi the2ndflood,

When I first got my Voyager, I didn't think that browsing would be very important. Since then I've changed my mind. If the Voyager had a better browser, I would use it much more. So this will be an important feature in my next phone and being able to handle flash sites well and view pdf documents will be important.

It's disappointing that the browser in the Versa (which is made by the same folks that did the Voyager's browser---it's just a newer version) could not view videos on hulu. Mobile TV is not available in my area so viewing TV and videos via the internet is one of the things I'd like to do.

As for a firmware or software update for the existing Voyager---I give it zero chance. I'd be shocked if it happens.

But what I would like is for LG to create a "Voyager 2" and as a "multimedia" phone it should have a killer browser that can handle flash videos from any site. Why should we have to upgrade to a PDA phone or Smartphone to be able to view hulu? Or view pdfs? Yet that's where I'm ultimately going if a "Voyager 2" doesn't materialize down the road.

The Versa is an interesting phone but it is no Voyager replacement. I love the ease with which the Voyager moves from touchscreen phone to QWERTY keyboard phone. The clamshell dual display design was a brilliant idea. Now it's time for LG to update the Voyager with all the latest features like:
    • An advanced browser that can view any flash content and open any pdf document.
    • The ability to multitask so you can listen to music while doing other duties at the same time (like texting, surfing, etc.).
    • An accelerometer that can sense orientation coupled with the ability for every program being able to auto rotate between horizontal and vertical orientations.
    • A higher resolution camera with a flash and a lens cover (I hate getting fingerprints on the camera lens while I text!!!!). The video capture resolution should also be bumped up to 640x480 like it is on the Versa.
    • An improved navigation pad for the keyboard (the navigation arrow buttons and "OK" button are too crammed---especially the down arrow with is way too close to the "CLR" button.
    • Larger displays with improved tactile feedback for the external touchscreen.
    • Support for the latest EV-DO and Bluetooth standards.
    • A better headphone amp so the sound doesn't distort when the volume is turned to maximum.
    • Improvements to the Calendar and Contacts Lists so you can add a text note to any event in the calendar and you can store an address and a text note for each person in the contact list.
    • A standard battery with way more capacity because multimedia phones are used for much more than voice calls. I use a Mugen 3000 mAh battery with my Voyager. It seems to me that a phone like this should have a much longer battery life as a standard feature.
    All of these improvements would fit the "multimedia" phone target very well and ensure the Voyager line's continued success.

Best regards, WiredNot
  3. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

I agree completely. But I get the feeling phones based on the Voyager's design are dead as far as LG is concerned. Or better yet as far as Verizon is concerned. Every time I have contacted LG on their phones, they give me the "We Build Phones To The Carriers Spec's, And As Such Have To LIMIT The Devices To Suit The Carriers Needs." comment. So LG could very easily dust of the blueprints to some unknown concept-phone and bring it out for release on Verizon's network as something bold and new, but Verizon won't let them. The Versa is the best Verizon would allow for now. LG could also make a Voyager version 2 with spec's better then any other phone on the market, but there isn't as much money in that for Verizon in the short-term. Verizon would rather go with the Status Quo and get customers to spend $400 on a new phone, then tease them with so-called updates; getting customers to buy replacements every so many months in order to basically keep-up with the times. But if there was a Voyager 2 with crazy spec's, customers wouldn't need to upgrade for maybe even years; until the rest of the market catches up. We saw this with the iPhone. Apple left things out on purpose and then added them in later. And they will do it again in a year, then again and again. Both Verizon, Apple and any other companies still playing this "Upgrade" game in a few years are going to be S**T Out Of Luck! Because now that customers have been shown more, they want more; and they will go with the carrier that can offer them that.

So if Verizon did start offering a Voyager with the spec's you listed; that phone would sell better then anything else Verizon has. But I don't expect much more anytime soon. And while there will be more Voyager Firmware updates to come, they will be mainly used to combat Bitpim backups and force customers into re-buying already paid for (Unlimited) content. A Flash browser Firmware update would be worth any hassles for me at least. I don't even play the games I bought anymore; so it's not a big deal if I were to lose them.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?