1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

massive reception problems with dare

Discussion in 'LG Dare' started by al ca-phone, Sep 12, 2008.

1. al ca-phone

al ca-phone New Member

well I have had an e815, a LG 4400, a razr, a voyager , and now a new dare.

I must say, the dare is the worse phone I have had on verizon in the 6 years I have been with them.

yes, the dare is a nice phone, but the reception problems are getting out of control.

the problem with the dare is that its not a good phone in fringe areas or even in basements.

in my basement, the voyager shows 3 to 4 bars. the dare, 1.

I would like to add, the dare shows stronger EV signal then 1x.

This is the 3rd dare TODAY that I have had, and I have extensivly drive around long island and tested it, the dare is not as good as other phones.

1st dare shipped from verizon, had the problem, went to store got a refurb same problem, demanded a new dare out the box, same problem.

I really want to keep the dare, but the recption problems are killing me (and countless others) on threads I have found online.

Is there a fix for this?

› See More: massive reception problems with dare
  2. aepple

aepple New Member

i don't know if there's a fix, i would try *228 reset upon command, and if that doesn't work, call tech support or go to a √erizon store.

3. al ca-phone

al ca-phone New Member

I have done this, multiple times.

again, the dare does have a reception problem, its well documented all over the internet. Is this a hardware issue, or can or will a firmware fix the problem?

4. aepple

aepple New Member

i don't know of any, i would check with √ tech support to be sure.

5. al ca-phone

al ca-phone New Member

alot of problems reported at mobileroar

6. aepple

aepple New Member

i would check with √erizon to see if there's a fix, i don't know of any firmware fix. You may have to replace the DARE, and I'm assuming that cell phones with √erizon have good reception in your area.

7. mikheil

mikheil New Member

many people have told me that they sometimes cannot hear me when i talk to them. i wonder if my dare has some kind of defect.

8. aepple

aepple New Member

If i were you i would post this question as a new thread @ LG Dare - Cell Phone Forums so more people here at CPF can view and maybe help with your problem.

in my opinion, and keep in mind i'm not a tech and don't want to play one CPF...lol i don't know of any type of setting on the DARE that adjusts the volume of a person's speech, only hearing. There is a speaker on top of the face of the DARE for hearing, and a small hole (speaker) at the bottom for talking that may clog with dust, make sure their clean, they then to fill with dust which might alter your hearing and/or speech.

9. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

Wireless Repeater, External Antenna, Dock-n-Talk Might Help You Out

The biggest problem with reception is that so many customers are getting cell phones and that can lead to all types of problems. So it might not be the phone at all. I was having the problems your going through with Sprint. Coverage was solid, then Murfreesboro just blew up with people and the network towers went from 99%, to 78%, to so low they refused to tell me the percentage. Some phones were better then others.

What I would suggest for you is getting a Wireless Repeater. I bought one for $230, and it worked great. You would have to route the antenna outside, or into your attic. It would have to run on 800Mhz and 1900Mhz; so it might cost more. But that would help you, and everyone else in your house get better coverage, regardless of the phone.

Or you can buy an external antenna. I bought this one.
    ARC Freedom Antenna All-in-One Pack Cell phone and smart phone accessory reviews - CNET Reviews
    You would have to buy an adapter for each phone you use it with. I had a Dock-n-Talk and Freedom Antenna for a while. Then after the service got even worse, I went with the repeater. But none of these will be perfect, so after those failed with Sprint I left.

The Dock-n-Talk is nice because I set it on top of my fridge, where the Freedom Antenna had a solid signal, then I just used a cordless phone to make calls.

It's a lot of crap I know, but when you don't have a home phone you have to make due somehow.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  10. Mark_Venture

Mark_Venture New Member

If its "well documented" I'm suprised that documentation doesn't tell you if its hardware or software.

I would say its more a quality control issue with LG or a VZW network issue.

I have Chocolate 1, enV, Voyager and Dare. My Chocolate1 has crappy reception. enV excellent, Voyager average, Dare just slightly less than excellent.

I have read of others who agree that the dare has very good to excellent reception. But I've also read of those who say its "crappy" for reception. Which is why I suggest LG Quality Control issue (some phones making it out with worse radio's than others), or a VZW network issue in the area the person is.

If in the SAME area, the other phones you have are "Excellent" and the Dare is bad, then I'd say phone issue, and if you got 3 that are bad, I'd definately say LG's quality isn't consistent!!!

Oh, and I wouldn't go by BARS, they are missleading no matter WHAT AT&T says with their "More bars in more places" slogan.... (I can prove this by going into test mode of my Moto's and reading the numeric values for RSSI and comaring the strength between phones, then exiting test mode and comparing the "bars" the signal meter displays...)

Instead, go by can you make a call, does the phone hold it, and does the sound quality of the call change....

11. al ca-phone

al ca-phone New Member

the thing is I notice it with the dare, I have had 3. all new.

I like the phone, I want to keep it, but there are issues. over at mobileroar there are tons of posts of people with my problem.

Like, the call quality is fine on most calls, but ALOT of times they just cant hear me, or I cant hear them.

The signals fluctuate, and bars DO matter. If the LG dare is losing signal in a strong EV area, which it has from time to time, then I am getting ripped of because I am only getting 1X signal. So yeah, if the phone does not see the bars, guess what, EV wont work...

alot of the times, the EV is stronger but the voice is weak. I checked howardforums and seen people with my same problems.

If its software/firmware related, there is hope, but this phone was rushed out with a hardware problem to just compete with the iphone, no wonder the verizon rep gave me one for free... hell, im not even in contract and I got a new dare....

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  12. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

One thing to also keep in mind is your hand placement. I'm not sure where the antenna is on the DARE, but if your hand is covering it, then you will have problems. Non-OEM Cases with metal in them can also cause problems. Location to other wireless devices. I notice that when I have my Voyager near my DSL wireless card, that effects both devices. So since the DARE is a PDA-Type device, you want to make sure you hold it the right way.
    There is just lots of things that can effect the reception, but start with the simple things first; then move onto the much more complex repairs.

13. al ca-phone

al ca-phone New Member

in the 6 years I have been with verizon, and other phones I have had, I have never had to worry about the attena. Seems so analog, like an old TV set where you had to fix the rabbit ears....

The phone just seems like it was rushed out in order to snatch a couple of people into buying an overpriced push screen phone.

14. Mark_Venture

Mark_Venture New Member

Not from the stand point of comparing one phone's reception to another. (as you were comparing Voyager to Dare in your first post)

i.e. Bars are not accurate to determine this phone is better than that one, just because it shows more bars doesn't really mean it gets better reception, or even gets reception.

15. markusha

markusha Banned

switch over to the iphone, mine works just great, love it

16. ShAd0wZ40

ShAd0wZ40 New Member

I'm in the NYC area, and i've had my Dare since the beginning of Sept. so far, it has worked great, with no dropped calls, good call quality, and its consistant. I do notice sometimes that I have more EV bars that 1x, but w/e. i get reception in the subway, and i've received calls down there too. nuff said

p.s. maybe u just have bad luck

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?