1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

My LG Dare Experience..

Discussion in 'LG Dare' started by UNIT_2FIVE, Sep 5, 2008.

1. UNIT_2FIVE

UNIT_2FIVE New Member

So it was FINALLY time for my 2 year upgrade and i "had it up to here" with verizon, and surprisingly, i walked out of the verizon store with the LG dare for only $50.00 (and they even put it on the account balance for me)

I've had my dare for a week now, just yesterday i started tooling around with bitpim. (took me a week to get up to speed on this new phone, i upgraded from the half a decade old razr!)

Now i have used bitpim several years ago with the lg4400 (i think) for ringtones and wallpapers, and more recently doing seem edits with the razr v3m. with that said, id like to consider myself knowledgeable in the field. (with a great amount of help coming from the wise man Mark_Venture)

ive found that the PnP support with the new version of bitpim is great, no changing settings, nothing; all the "dirty" work is done. i tested and used the phonebook feature, and the ringtone feature (in-prog. editing with 1.06 is AMAZING) and both work great. ringtone quality could be better, some tones distort when phone is set at full volume. i also have found that if you chop down the song you want to use, for instance in nero WaveEditor, it will speed up the process dramatically.

so now that i've got access to unlimited custom free ringtones and all my contacts, i want to figure out a speedy way to get my pics from phone to pc, using no microSD, SMS, or anything like that. I want to be able to plug in the phone via USB, possibly using bitpim, and get my pics instantly.
    i was able to create a backup of the photo directory via bitpim through the filesystem view, but cannot access it anywhere on my pc or through the program. i think that if we can figure this out, it will be a big thing for people, to be able to utilize this 3.2mp cam to the max and use it just like a digi cam. that to me is 1000 times more important than FREE NAV!! and FREE EMAIL!!! as far as that goes, pay the extra $15, if you werent going to, why did you buy a 3G phone in the first place?

so can anyone help my dream come true?

› See More: My LG Dare Experience..
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  2. Chaosbringer

Chaosbringer New Member

im not sure if its possible to pull em off from bitpim yet since i believe it doesnt have full support for the phone yet...

i dont mean to sound mean or nothin, but why not get a sdmicro card? i got myself a 4gb card for 13 bucks and before that i bought 2x 1gb cards for 5 bucks from frys, if price is a problem it shouldnt be really.

personally, 50% of the reason i bought this phone was because of the camera. and with a 4gb micro you never have to worry about taking too many pics. hell even a 1gb would do just fine for a long time, but i put about a gig of music on my phone

3. UNIT_2FIVE

UNIT_2FIVE New Member

well i actually thought about that, so i took my 1gb out of my v3m (forgot it was even there), and with the USB mass storage feature it basically solves my problem. I just wish the providers would stop setting up these devices to be so proprietary. but for now we'll always figure out away around it :smart:

in bitpim i was able to back up the photo directory but since the data mode the phone goes into through bitpim, the process was LONG AND SLOW for only 51 photos. AND i was never able to do anything with the backup, it disapeared off into computer land! if you right click the file and save it in filesystem view this also will work and you can view the pics but again its VERY SLOW.

im sure thats one of the top pros of the iphone, being able to use itunes for audio video and photo transfers....but im happy with the dare and very content on the "flexibility" we are able to get out of it. the best part about it is, that most of these small things that are able to be done with bitpim (phone book, ringtones) aren't really traceable by vzw if the phone is taken in for repair. i know the v3m took some serious seem editing to get satisfactory usage out of its available features.

basically, they made the dare easy for us!

another thing to check out are the new nationwide premium calling plans, they include unlimited sms, mobile web, email, vz navigator, and mb usage for pretty fair rates. me and the girl are on the 2100 min shared plan for $179/ mo. and we can use our DARES to the max with no worry. no more additional $25 per line for unlimited sms + Vpak!

ok, its late, good night ill be opening up the shop tomarrow bright and early 6:30 am!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  4. schguy07

schguy07 New Member

You might want to look at LG's website and see if they can help with that. I know that with the charger cord that comes in the box is also an USB cable with hooks up directly with your computer. See if that might work for you and your "taste buds".

5. ShAd0wZ40

ShAd0wZ40 New Member

what phonebook thing is he refering to? all i've used BitPim for is ringers and stuff. theres more?!

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?